Ablaut!

jurble

Ablaut is the coolest thing ever, will Dothraki have ablaut? It ought to. Because the rule of cool is awesome.

</linguist hat>

From the samples, it's hard to say. It does appear to be inflected, viz. ido (wood) -> ide (wooden? of wood?) O->E might be either a nominative-to-genitive inflection or an adjectivizer. Since the vowel change is in a final position, it's not enough information to say whether it's ablaut or inflection.

But, regardless, yes ablaut is awesome, if rather frustrating when trying to come up with consistent conlang rules.

Well, depends...ist it an Indo-European language?

I would guess not, but I don't know what Mr. Peterson's influences are in coming up with it. The sound pattern from the samples sounds kind of Mongolian, but I haven't noticed any rounded front vowels yet (ü, ö, etc).

As far as ASOIAF languages go, the best candidates for Indo-European derivations are Valyrian (mor-ghulis = must die) and the Common Speech (one of the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European terms for "west" or "western" is *Westeros :D)

But I know GRRM doesn't do things that way. I'm just a language geek.

• 1 month later...

Well, depends...ist it an Indo-European language?

It sounds like Arabic with an English accent to me. The consonants are similar and also the intonation (hope thats the correct word, my first language is German). I've learned some Arabic a while ago, so I'm not entirely clueless. Though I have never heard a Mongolian speak and the culture seems better fitting, so...

And how can anyone think Ablaut is cool? It's just annoying when you learn a language which got Ablaute^^

Archived