Worldcon 2011: Reno

Lany - I am totally up for the brothel idea. Erm, I am NOT going to spend $2,000 on a prostitute (because I'm terribly cheap), and I don't think Darling would countenance that anyways, but I would have a drink at the bar. $200 is the max I'm ever willing to spend at any strip club, but I'm sure something could be accommodated for that price at a brothel - surely there has to be some type of "lap dance" (like a drip club) for the simply curious.

oh hell, Ive started it now :)

Well, there are 2 locations I can think of, one has a fairly decent strip club/bar next to the brothel. The other location sorta has a girl dancing at some times, but really has a more ..ah.. brothel feel. It also has pretty good bar food and reasonable prices.

the joys of driving a limo for awhile, you get to learn these fun things :)

oh dear god, what have I done.

I expect a letter got George shortly advising me to stay away from the Con and stop corrupting his fans.

:lmao: I seriously doubt it.

I rambled and said silly things first time I met George (2nd really, but first time at a con). His reply to me was "It's a bit early in the con to have ones legs up in the air"

It was only the first day, afterall. Sounded like he thought that would be just fine later in the week. ;)

so... anybody have thoughts on hijacking the con?

Ive been talking to a a couple of the local bookstores in my area and we might try to pull off a hijacking of sorts.

I have been able to talk to a couple authors (not george (yet) so dont get your pants wet) about having a small signing/party/dinner near the con with 4-5 authors, maybe a publisher like nightshade.. It would be something like $50-$75 per person, dinner, open bar, dj, some giveaways there would only be around 40 to 50 tickets available..

the bookstores and I wouldnt be making money on the ticket sales, the price would just be set to cover the location fee, food bill/etc

any thoughts?

so... anybody have thoughts on hijacking the con?

Ive been talking to a a couple of the local bookstores in my area and we might try to pull off a hijacking of sorts.

I have been able to talk to a couple authors (not george (yet) so dont get your pants wet) about having a small signing/party/dinner near the con with 4-5 authors, maybe a publisher like nightshade.. It would be something like $50-$75 per person, dinner, open bar, dj, some giveaways there would only be around 40 to 50 tickets available..

the bookstores and I wouldnt be making money on the ticket sales, the price would just be set to cover the location fee, food bill/etc

any thoughts?

That's a lot of money. most of us have to pay air fare, hotels and food/drinks already, why would we pay that much when we can see them for free at the con? hang out with many of them at parties and talk to them, drink for free? Not to but a damper on your plans or anything, but I personally don't see the cost being worth it.

I'm agree with Lany, we can get all this at the con already. I don't really fancy paying even more for a private gathering. The only advantage I can see is if they are authors that are not at the con, but if they're in town I can't see why they wouldn't be. My two cents. :)

I'm in agreement with Ben and Lany. It sounds like a lovely idea, but I'm against adding yet another Worldcon related expense (in addition to flights, hotel, memberships, BWB party fund and everything else). Also, between programs all day and parties all night, Worldcon already tends to be packed with more activites than a person can easily juggle.

sounds good! thanks for the input.

the authors that wanted to do it all seemed to want it do it for the same reason, to be able to actually interact with a smaller group of fans without the need to "rush" things because there was a line/etc.

I will keep it on the back burner and see what happens with it!

there's some new information over at the Renovation site that might be of interest to people attending or considering attending. They're going to start a broad survey to find out more about the interests and desired functions and events from the attendees. That information will help form the overall programming that will be held at their WorldCon.

They are still offering lower-cost memberships for people between 17-21.

So go on over and see what's new, voice an opinion, ask a question, they'd love to hear from you.

I must admit, when I counted up how many WorldCons I've been to, I was more than a bit surprised how many times I've been able to go to our family reunion.

• 2 months later...

I have post-con-emo-by-proxy after reading reports from Melbourne, so here's a reminder about next year:

Buy your Renovation memberships before rates go up on September 30. In fact, at $160 for adults, an attending membership bought right now is only $5 more than the current price for Chicago in 2012. (I have a feeling I'm going to be paying a lot for that one.)

I have almost successfully convinced one of my friends to come with me by promising her hiking at Tahoe on the way to Reno, plus she is also excited about Tim Powers as the GoH. The concept of not sharing a room with 1-7 other boarders is a real novelty, but there's a first time for everything.

And again, I urge you to visit wonderful, foggy San Francisco before or after Reno. We've got hairless cats with our SF in SF.

Are memberships transferrable? That is, if I buy a membership now but end up not being able to go, can I sell my attendance rights?

I'm at a new company and had to restart vacation accumulation, and I already have one definite vacation commitment for 2011. So I can go to Reno if I don't have to travel elsewhere, but don't have the ability to clear that time as vacation yet.

I'm planning on staying Wednesday through Sunday in the Party hotel. I'd love three other roomies to split the cost of the room. Anyone else interested. I do bathe regularly and don't snore (much). Check with Lany, LP, and Drac. to confirm my decency as a room sharer. :)

I know this is early I just like to have things nailed down before the last minute if possible.

Archived