Worldcon 2011: Reno

So true Bronn...

As I was scrolling through the pages of posts I realized I failed to give props to the people that do this year in and year out.

Alot has changed since my last Worldcon. It was great to see how organized and well structured everything was/is. Stego, Xray, Mr. X, Yags, Luga, Fen, Regina my pimp hat is off to you. :bowdown:

Thank you for making me feel so welcome. I had a great time.

Thanks, Lodey! That would be "Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mocking Jay." Or you could go with the other one we talked about, "I am Not a Serial Killer" by Dan Wells. I hear it gave Stego nightmares. :o

Not nightmares so much as.... ok yeah, nightmares.

A big thank you to everyone who volunteered at worldcon, especially those who helped me out in Program Operations. It was also nice to feel so welcome at the BWB parties. You guys are really something special.

I am here asking a favor: I tried to chase down everyone who worked for me so I could make sure they receive Volunteer t-shirts, which you get for working about 15 hours. (If you volunteered for 24 hours or more, you are also eligible for a membership reimbursement.) Unfortunately, the piece of paper where everyone signed their names and provided their addresses seems to have vanished in the morass of the Sunday afternoon cleanup of the Program Ops room.

Could any of you who put in hours in Program Ops please write to me at j_gelb (at) yahoo.com with your full name, street address, email address, and t-shirt size? My fading memory recalls Mapu, Lady Narcissa, LugaJetGirlBoy, Stego, and XRay and Mr X. (Sorry to anyone I forgot.)

Thanks again to everyone who volunteered! You'll be relieved to know that so far, I'm not in charge of anything at Chicon next year :->

Smofbabe,

A big thank you to everyone who volunteered at worldcon, especially those who helped me out in Program Operations. It was also nice to feel so welcome at the BWB parties. You guys are really something special.

I am here asking a favor: I tried to chase down everyone who worked for me so I could make sure they receive Volunteer t-shirts, which you get for working about 15 hours. (If you volunteered for 24 hours or more, you are also eligible for a membership reimbursement.) Unfortunately, the piece of paper where everyone signed their names and provided their addresses seems to have vanished in the morass of the Sunday afternoon cleanup of the Program Ops room.

Could any of you who put in hours in Program Ops please write to me at j_gelb (at) yahoo.com with your full name, street address, email address, and t-shirt size? My fading memory recalls Mapu, Lady Narcissa, LugaJetGirlBoy, Stego, and XRay and Mr X. (Sorry to anyone I forgot.)

Thanks again to everyone who volunteered! You'll be relieved to know that so far, I'm not in charge of anything at Chicon next year :->

I volunteered in Operations as a Ranger and in program ops. I didn't turn in my "hours sheet" just because I needed to catch a plane on Sunday morning.

Smofbabe,

I volunteered in Operations as a Ranger and in program ops. I didn't turn in my "hours sheet" just because I needed to catch a plane on Sunday morning.

You might want to check with Steve L to find out whether he's put your name down as I think you did more time as an Ops rover than in Program Ops. However, I'm happy to add your name to my list if Steve hasn't already.

Not nightmares so much as.... ok yeah, nightmares.

At least we warned you. And dude, did you read Mr. Monster yet? THAT's the one that freaked me out. Disturbing and fascinating at the same time.

I'd also like to add my thanks;

to SmofBabe who always does such an excellent job of working Program Ops and other duties at WorldCons

To X-Ray and Mr X, Stego and everyone from the BwB who worked on the convention and on the BwB events

To a great group of oldtimers and noobs alike who brought so much energy and friendliness to share in Reno

To the countless folks who donated money, time, items to use as fundraisers, and the folks who spent money on raffle tickets or threw a few bucks into the tip jar

Ane to those who helped do setup, tear down, did door dragon duty and all the other unsung but vital works that made Reno such a damn fine time for so many people.

FIAWOL!

love,

Parris

So true Bronn...As I was scrolling through the pages of posts I realized I failed to give props to the people that do this year in and year out.Alot has changed since my last Worldcon. It was great to see how organized and well structured everything was/is. Stego, Xray, Mr. X, Yags, Luga, Fen, Regina my pimp hat is off to you. :bowdown: Thank you for making me feel so welcome. I had a great time.

Thanks! And thanks for helping out with schmoozing other parties for free booze and pitching in with cleanup on Sunday.

I second that sentiment. Thanks. :cool4: Ooh, and also, I blogged about the BWB. In case you're interested.

Very nice. By the way, there does exist a BWB webpage. Not as up-to-date as it could be, but we're working on it.

Belated thanks (been very busy with work), but it was genuinely awesome meeting you all in Reno. I enjoyed seeing the operations of the con as much as the con itself (waves to the Smof, will send you an email) and of course to have the opportunity to contribute to the BWB parties. Nobody throws a party like the BWB and we held two! There were too many great folk I met to name individually here lest I forget someone so instead I'll probably put down some musings & highlights in the con report thread sometime.

Well, I did mean to post earlier. :) Its been insanely busy here since I got back. And then, I just forgot.

Anyhow, it was great to meet everyone again. My first American Worldcon since 2006, so lots of new faces but it was also great to see many familiar faces. Amazing job from those that organised the BwB parties. And great job volunteering as well.

Everything is a blur. Some great moments with epic BwB parties, Stego up a tree, Dothraki panel etc. My crowning accomplishment was having something to do with the naming of the godswood...

I did end up visiting Lake Tahoe on the way back home, which was awesome. Mr Mouse was very enthused about it at the party and I had hours to kill on the way to Sacramento, so it was a good choice.

And then lots of sleep.

Archived