Worldcon 2011: Reno

If you can drive, and can afford a rental, the possibilites are endless in that part of the West. If you are restricted to some sort of public transport, go to San Francisco and indulge in some great experiences in that fine city by the Bay. San Francisco is filled with museums, gorgeous parks and walking trails, clubs where real musicians play real music right before your eyes, and a thousand other nifty things to do. Check out the web sites for San Francisco tourism, ask around here on the boards, there's bound to be people who can suggest places to visit. SF also has an excellent transport system that runs throughout most of the Bay area, and there's bus tours out to wine country, etc.

LA, while it does have those mythic amusement parks, is not good for public transport, the highways are gridlocked, and I'd rather spend a day in San Francisco than a month in LA. But that's just my personal opinion.

Some interesting suggestions there. Thanks. :)

I have been thinking about taking a pit stop on the east coast to take a look at some proper skyscrapers. :D

Glad to know you'll be joining us. Shall I put you down for the Bros co-ordinating committee?

Sure why not, maybe can be useful in some way.:commie:

• 5 weeks later...

Reading through this thread at nearly 1am was a terrible idea. Absolutely terrible...and I'll have you all know that I hate you for now having my heart beating and my mind racing, shrugging off any possibility of nearby sleep. I do hope to be able to make it, and at the moment am certainly planning on pushing full speed ahead. That being said...if I am able to attend (though I'm not sure when I'll find out for certain) I will post it here, and please feel 100% free to put me to use helping out wherever hands are needed. I'd gladly do whatever I could to make it easier for the people who have already poured in so much time and effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm, World Con is close (datewise and location) to Burning Man... Maybe WorldCon, hang around for a week, then BM? In a perfect world this would work. :bowdown:

I was thinking the same thing... hmmm

Saw Parris's post up thread. I'd like to be of assistance in organizing if someone from the upper-ranks would like to give me a task I'd be happy to volunteer to complete it.

I just purchased my membership and have submitted a volunteer form to Renovation as well. Again-I'm happy to help anyway I can.

Now I'm excited! :)

• 2 weeks later...

SO... Colder Dands got me thinking about Worldcon... I spent some time looking at nearby restaurants to the party hotel... there is a round table pizza and a twin dragons restaurant right there.

Since I am not hosting parties this year I got to thinking about the potential quests... I also realize that I might just be more of a knight errant. The only question is how to prove my errant nature... any thoughts?

here's the plain old url:

http://www.renovationsf.org/pressrel18.php

with the press release from Renovation and a link to the hotel information and reservation process.

Get your reservations in now! You'll have a better chance of getting the room and dates you want the sooner you do it. If there's a plan for a BWB event/suite, now would be a good time to send a reminder to the person running the suites allocations.

Remember: Atlantis is the closest to the convention center hotel, and will also be the party hotel. You can choose to stay in the party block, and that would help buffer us from the 'mundanes' and allow for an impromptu late night gabfest with 4 or 10 of your closest friends without too many hassles from the hotel.

The Peppermill is a bit further away, but will host the Hugo and Masquerade ceremonies.

Both hotels are very 'resort-ish', and we may very well have to take swim suits and hang out at the pool or something one day.

see you in 211 days!

Thanks for the reminder. I should probably book a room.

I highly approve of hotels with 24 hour restaurants in them.

ETA: Hmmmm....party block or no party block?

Is anyone staying in the Atlantis who is booking a room in the party block? Scot? (I have no idea who your roommates are.)

Bringing a friend who probably has an opinion on this, so I should probably ask her.

Let's just hope we can convince the management that they really do need to double their regular order of chocolate ice cream and quality draft beers.

Back when WorldCon was held on Labor Day weekend, under-ordering those vital items was quite a problem.

*ahem* If some of you are interested in filling in your time between getting up late due to parties the night before and going out to dinner, you're welcome to volunteer with me in Program Operations :-> (For those of you who were at A4, this year will be different, I promise: the programming people are on time and know what they're doing!) Even if you're not interested in Program Ops, I recommend volunteering as a way to both help the convention and meet interesting people, besides getting a glimpse of how the sausage is made.

Cheers!

Kat,

ETA: Hmmmm....party block or no party block?

Is anyone staying in the Atlantis who is booking a room in the party block? Scot? (I have no idea who your roommates are.)

Bringing a friend who probably has an opinion on this, so I should probably ask her.

I requested our room outside the party bloc. Easier to sleep.

Kat,

I requested our room outside the party bloc. Easier to sleep.

Likewise. Same hotel, even if it is huge, so easy enough to get back post-party and less danger of being kept awake by some drunken geeks singing ballads about Decepticons in the next room (one would hope).

I admit that some of us are rusting and old

But we're still just as evil and callous and cold...

HOTEL UPDATE

The Atlantis block is already SOLD OUT! They are trying to secure more rooms but it looks like anyone without a reservation will end up in the Peppermill from now on. It does mean a longer walk to the convention centre and parties but you will be in the right place for the Hugos and Masquerade.

I have updated the first post of this thread with hotel info and a reminder about the upcoming membership price hike. I also started compiling a list of those definitely attending which I have to say looks surprisingly short right now. I know there are more of us going than this but I guess many of you just haven't posted in this thread to say you are - well now is the time to do so since planning for BWB parties and events needs to take place so we need to know numbers to plan accordingly.

So please post in this thread to say if you are definitely attending or maybe attending and I will add you to the list. If you have never been to a Worldcon or a BWB event before and you're a bit worried about the whole thing - don't panic. We're all very friendly and noobs are always welcome, in fact we have special events just for you guys but if you don't post to tell us you are going to be there you may miss out.

If anyone has plans or ideas for events, excursions or hiking trips before, during or after the con then please post them here and I will add them to the first post and those interested can sign up to join in.

Dammit I knew I should have moved on this quicker I wanted to be in the Atlantis, oh well. I am looking at flights at the moment and considering my options. It looks like return flights to San Francisco may be the best option and I intend to spend a week or so there before the con anyway so that is good for me.

nim - yes Worldcon is definitely chaotic, but the good sort of chaotic which leaves you happy and more than a bit emo when its all over until next year which seems like forever away. There are interesting discussion panels with your favourite authors including George of course, parties every night, new friends to make, readings, signings, a dealers room with good deals and rare books available to buy, a quest, knightings, and so much more.

Archived