Worldcon 2011: Reno

Does anybody know if Worldcon Memberships can be transferred to somebody else?

I very much plan on going there, but it's quite a long time til then, and who knows...

Unless things change, I won't be going. :crying: I just can't justify spending the money when I don't have a job. So if you want to save some money, I'll sell you my membership when the time comes.

I was so looking forward to finally meeting you :(

I'm sure people here would help you out with the financing, if you want.

If you decide not to go, when would that be? I wanted to get membership before the prices go up at the end of February.

Add me to the list! WooHoo! I booked a room at the Atlantis even though the block was full. It was a little bit more expensive, but I don't like walking to another hotel after the parties so it was worth it to me. I also requested a quiet floor.

I bought my membership today as well. All I am holding out on is the airline tickets. I got burned on them last year when I had to cancel so I will just wait.

So. Very. Excited!

Ok, so the BWB people are staying at the Atlantis? I was looking into going and wanted to get the full Con experience...

I've never been to a BWB event or a Con, though. Little nervous.

As far as I was aware, since the Atlantis block is sold out, most BwB peeps are in the Peppermill.

And don't be nervous. It will be awesome. You have no idea.

We're also planning on being in Reno Wednesday to Monday. After some thought, I decided to go ahead and book a room at Atlantis using the AAA rate. It's not as good as the con rate, but worth it to be so close to the convention center and parties, imho.

I am weeping at the cost of the plane tickets, but they have now been purchased, so I will be there for definite! Even if I have to spend the week beforehand sleeping in the back of the rental car and eating out of bins.

Plane ticket prices are rocketing, btw, they are already way more expensive than when I started looking in Jan. Be warned!

I'm trying to decide between flying and driving. Flying would only be a couple of hours, but probably more expensive. Driving would take 8 hours through boring nowhere Nevada, but then I would have a car. It all depends on if my husband is coming with me. If he isn't, I'm flying for sure.

Lany, I'm sad you won't be coming, I was looking forward to meeting you. :(

Ok, so the BWB people are staying at the Atlantis? I was looking into going and wanted to get the full Con experience...

I've never been to a BWB event or a Con, though. Little nervous.

Likewise - I've never been to either a BWB event or a worldcon, but just bought my membership...! Really nervous going alone, but am also planning on volunteering, and hope to meet some friendly people that way as well...

Also, we try to pick a central spot for gathering, and spread that info by word of mouth/phone/PM's. For example, at the convention center in Denver we met at a giant blue bear sculpture outside the entrance.

You'll do fine! We haven't lost anyone yet!*

*At least, not that can be proven in a court of law.

Sweet - will definitely keep an eye out for the BWB pins :)

Haven't booked a room yet, but thought it might be worth checking to see if there are any other ladies who are looking for roommates?

Sweet - will definitely keep an eye out for the BWB pins :)

Haven't booked a room yet, but thought it might be worth checking to see if there are any other ladies who are looking for roommates?

Nim, depending on what's up with my friend, I may be in need of a roommate. Still trying to figure stuff out though.

In any case, as long as you have the # of one or two BWB people it's very easy to meet up with us. When I went to my first Worldcon, I think I only had the cell # for my roommate, and I arrived late at night due to a series of flight delays. Still managed to get dragged to a party when I arrived and meet about 50 people whose names I promptly forgot, but if you manage to find a few people to latch onto, chances are high that you'll stay in the loop and be involved in party preparation, volunteering, giant meals where you surprise a restaurant with a party of 17, etc. :P

Archived