Worldcon 2011: Reno

Sweet - will definitely keep an eye out for the BWB pins :)

Haven't booked a room yet, but thought it might be worth checking to see if there are any other ladies who are looking for roommates?

Sooner or later you'll meet some locals who have no excuse not to go. its only a 3.5 hr drive (or so)

Kat, sounds good - PM me if it doesn't work out with your friend, I assure you that I'm a very normal sort of person! :D

boiled leather - that's my hope!

(and can I also just say, that after finally reading through the history of this thread, I'm very excited by the prospect of a Quest, although I have no idea what that might entail...something about...erm, a brothel? I think?)

nim-The quest is generally for a local food. For example, at LA, the quest was for hotdogs from Pink's, and at Montreal the quest was for poutine.

Ah ok - that sounds much better :) Not sure where I got brothel from, I must have been reading through the posts too quickly...

Ah ok - that sounds much better :) Not sure where I got brothel from, I must have been reading through the posts too quickly...

nim, that was my fault and Chataya's. Chataya expressed an interest in going to one of the local, legal brothels to see what the places are like and I jokingly suggested making a drunken quest out of it.

As for going to Reno, I'm afraid I'm going to have to count myself out. I had to use up vacation time earlier this year and now I don't have enough left to make it to the con this year. Chicago 2012 or bust!

nim, that was my fault and Chataya's. Chataya expressed an interest in going to one of the local, legal brothels to see what the places are like and I jokingly suggested making a drunken quest out of it.

As for going to Reno, I'm afraid I'm going to have to count myself out. I had to use up vacation time earlier this year and now I don't have enough left to make it to the con this year. Chicago 2012 or bust!

A quest sounds all the more fun if its drunken, but drunken *anything* for me usually ends in food, so maybe it will all be the same in the end regardless :)

Hey! Long time no see, glad to see you're coming. :thumbsup:

Thanks! :) And thanks for giving me the heads-up about it way back whenever it was. I've been meaning to visit Reno anyway, so this is the perfect excuse.

I probably should have mentioned that I have an open spot in my room. I'm hesitant to fill it until I know where I'll be this summer, since I might be interning somewhere that won't allow me to take half a week off, in which case I'd have to cancel my reservation. In that event I'd be happy to transfer my reservation to one of you, though I don't think hotels usually do that. I don't really think that'll happen anyway, since wherever I wind up, I'll be telling them from the get-go that I'll be out of town on those days. But anyway, for the record, I've got a room at the Atlantic with space for one more.

Having read about all the BwB fun, I'm pretty excited - just need to get some minor employment matters sorted before I'll know. I will likely miss the reduced price (perhaps have already?), but if things work out to my satisfaction then there shouldn't be much trouble anyway :)

It would be pretty awesome to finally meet some of the fine people whose posts I've read over my year or two here - hopefully a few will recognize at least my screenname!

so, i'm trying to finalize our plans. as a "world con rookie" what are the pros and cons of which hotel? The Atlantis is sold out at "the con rate" but there are still plenty of rooms. Atlantis? Peppermill? thoughts? rants? stuff like that?

Well, I would say that if you have the money, the best place to stay is in the actual con-hotel (Atlantis). It's incredibly convenient and means you aren't stuck at the con all day far away from your room. It also means you only have to stumble to the elevator after the con parties.

But if you want to go with the con rate, the Peppermill should be fine. Lots of BwB will be staying there and you will see lots of con people hanging out in the bar and such.

so, i'm trying to finalize our plans. as a "world con rookie" what are the pros and cons of which hotel? The Atlantis is sold out at "the con rate" but there are still plenty of rooms. Atlantis? Peppermill? thoughts? rants? stuff like that?

I personally like the idea of being out of the hubbub. I'd rather walk a block to Con events but be in a 'regular' hotel. I am fussy about noise when I am trying to sleep though.

Archived