Will Renly and Loras's homosexual relationship be shown?

Andhaira

I think it will just be kind of akward. Not that I am homophobic but just not exactly what I want to watch. And it wasn't in the book and not vitle to the plot with the exception of Cat having to flee Renlys camp with Brienne after he is killed.

I think the sex scenes should follow the books for the most part. We should see Drogo/Dany, for example, but only hear Petyr/Lysa. IMO, HBO should only film a Loras/Renly sex scene if GRRM plans on giving Loras a flashback later on. A big part of the Loras story is that some people immediately get that he's gay but some people don't. It would take away from the story if the exact nature of L/R was spelled out before the audience has a chance to piece it together.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it should be explicit. In the books, it's pretty obvious, but books are more subtle than film - it's a lot easier to miss these things in real-time than it is when reading, so the hints have to be broader.

Of course, they shouldn't be introduced via a sex scene - it should be built up to with hints. Kind of like Omar, iirc.

I think it should be explicit. In the books, it's pretty obvious, but books are more subtle than film - it's a lot easier to miss these things in real-time than it is when reading, so the hints have to be broader.

No way. It's totally the opposite. If the lines are said correctly by the actors it is going to be way easier to tell then by reading.

There's no reason at all to show anything regarding Renly and Loras that isn't in the books. I think back to Braveheart. We didn't need to see the Prince and his "adviser" boning each other to know they were gay, did we? Hell, anyone with half a brain knew after just a single look the Prince gave the guy during his wedding.

There's this little thing called "acting" that is to be expected of "actors" in a television series. The acting will be enough to let us know, especially Loras's reaction to Renly's death and the quips from others (Littlefinger in particular?) about the two of them.

Well, actually I'd expect Littlefinger to appear more like being 'gay' than Renly and Loras, as Littlefinger shows way more effeminate behavior than both of them together. If they stick to the books, Loras and Renly have no scene together in season 1, and especially Loras will only shine as a bold and manly young knight - at the tourney, and then when he demands the right to hunt down Gregor Clegane.

• 4 months later...

Will we have in our face homosexual sex scenes, or will D&D go a more subtle route as it is in the books, and have the relationship be hinted at only?

My personal take on this is that in the first season we will only see hints; Renly and Loras glancing at each other, briefly touching, things like that. Then, in Season 2 we will see Loras and Renly have a full blow sex scene in Renly's tent outside Storm's End.

Thoughts?

I believe it should follow the books and only hint at it. A few subtle looks and phrases will work just fine. Fanatics of the books like us will see it for what it is, and some clever first-time viewers might pick up on it, but most will notice it only on repeat viewings, or from the internet. I think this gives viewers a little taste of the depth of characters and sub-stories which is really evident in the books, but may not come across so much in the TV show.

I'm also not a fan of sex in shows just for the sake of sex, especially not gay sex. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with gays and think they should be able to marry, but I still don't want to see two guys going at it. Including sex scenes where they're not needed just lowers the level of the whole production I feel. It's like hey we don't have much going on here, here's some nudity so you don't change the channel. GoT is better than that.

I'm also not a fan of sex in shows just for the sake of sex, especially not gay sex. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with gays and think they should be able to marry, but I still don't want to see two guys going at it.

I love that line! Yeah, whatever mate! You've just contradicted yourself. As a gay man who will be watching the series, what if I protest at sex scenes involving a man and a woman, or 2 women? I won't, but if i did i'd just have to lump it. Sex happens, get over it.

I'm also not a fan of sex in shows just for the sake of sex, especially not gay sex. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with gays and think they should be able to marry, but I still don't want to see two guys going at it. Including sex scenes where they're not needed just lowers the level of the whole production I feel. It's like hey we don't have much going on here, here's some nudity so you don't change the channel. GoT is better than that.

Just because it makes you feel squicky doesn't mean it should be cut out. I tend to skim over the underage-lesbian scenes that Dany gets, and they are a lot less important to the plot than Renly and Loras. Should they be cut? Or will you be quite comfortable with two hot chicks going at it?

TP,

You are apparently dismayed at the suggestion, but I cannot convince myself why it should be so.

Oh sorry, it was a joke. I was poking fun at people who think that one must be either X or Y, but not both.

We don't need to see Renly pounding Loras as the latter kneels (IN PRAYER!), to get that they're gay. Most people will hear "Knight of Flowers" and "Rainbow Guard" and come to the conclusion fairly quickly, even though, in Westeros, neither has the gay connotations.

And if they the producers feel like adding a gay scene, whatev's. I don't think the dude playing Loras is good-looking enough for his role, needs to look more like a woman, facially.

Archived