Will Renly and Loras's homosexual relationship be shown?

Andhaira

Most people will hear "Knight of Flowers" and "Rainbow Guard" and come to the conclusion fairly quickly, even though, in Westeros, neither has the gay connotations.

A lot of people didn't figure it out, reading the books. I don't think I did. They'll probably have a more suggestive scene to make it clearer.

Also, why does Loras need to look like a woman? The guy's a warrior, whatever his preferences.

Because he needs to look like Margery, facially.

And it must have been because I was in 6th grade when I read the books that "Rainbow Guard" and "Knight of Flowers" sent my "Whoa, these guyz must be gay"-dar off.

Because he needs to look like Margery, facially.

He doesn't need to look like his sister. (I'm not sure the books even say he looks like his sister? That is Jaime and Cersei). You just need somebody that most people would consider very handsome. A TV show can be flexible with the rest.

I think it is noted that he resembled Marjorie. I look a lot like my brother, but no one would call him feminine, or me masculine. Even so, as long as it looks plausible that they are related, it will be enough. The actors they cast for Cersei and Jaime don't look like twins, after all.

Jons Ghost please explain where I contradicted myself. I'm sorry if you took offence, I wasn't just saying, "I have no problem with gays" just to sound like I'm not homophobic; I honestly respect any gay person as much as anybody else. For the record I wasn't really protesting about the possible inclusion of gay sex in the series, just stating my personal preference. My main point was that sex in shows just for the sake of sex should not be included. Please don't take offence when none was intended.

Brienne the Beauty, where exactly did I say I think they should be cut out just because they make me 'squicky'? I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth. I believe Dany only has one lesbian scene and yes, I think it should be cut from the show, there's no need for it.

Brienne the Beauty, where exactly did I say I think they should be cut out just because they make me 'squicky'? I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth.

I didn't put words in your mouth.

Here it is:

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with gays and think they should be able to marry, but I still don't want to see two guys going at it. Including sex scenes where they're not needed just lowers the level of the whole production I feel.

And yes, you did not literally say "squicky" but it is clear from the quote above that you mean that it would make you uncomfortable to see a gay scene, and thus you would prefer that one was not added. "Squicky" is just an internet slang term meaning something like "slightly grossed out and uncomfortable" which seems to apply to your sentiment in the above quote.

I believe Dany only has one lesbian scene and yes, I think it should be cut from the show, there's no need for it.

Why? It's in the books.

I don't see how a fan of ASOIAF, which has consistently included numerous and often repulsive/disturbing sex scenes, should feel they should be cut from the TV version. It's not like adding sex scenes to Harry Potter, it's true to the original source material. In fact, if they took all the sex out, it would feel rather neutered and cowardly.

By the way, I find the whole "I have nothing against gay people as long as I don't have to watch them." attitude to be rather dubious. If you have nothing against them, why would you even care? What's wrong with sex anyway? This is an adult show, aimed at adults, and adult relationships are an appropriate topic.

Just because it makes you feel squicky doesn't mean it should be cut out

I never said I think it should be cut out simply because it makes me quicky or uncomfortable or anything else like tha. I believe it shouldn't be included in the show simply because it isn't in the books, and as stated, I'm not a fan of unecessary sex on TV. The fact that it makes me slightly uncomfortable is merely a side point.

Why do I think Dany's lesbian scence should be cut from the show? Because it adds nothing in the books and it won't add anything to the show apart from sex appeal. By the way, I'm not saying all the sex scenes should be left out, Tyrion and Shae for example are needed.

By the way, I find the whole "I have nothing against gay people as long as I don't have to watch them." attitude to be rather dubious. If you have nothing against them, why would you even care? What's wrong with sex anyway? This is an adult show, aimed at adults, and adult relationships are an appropriate topic.

I don't know how to explain it, it's just somewhat off-putting to me personally. And I'm pretty sure most straight guys are the same. Feel free to assume it's because I'm not comfortable with my sexuality or whatever you want, I don't care. There is nothing wrong with sex, and I know it's an adult show and sex is relevant. I have no problem with sex on tv, indeed, I hate when shows are censored due to sex. It's just that I don't feel the need to see all that much of it in GoT, I'd much rather give more screen time to other parts of the books which will no doubt have to be cut.

The real question is the power dynamic with-in the relationship. Who was the top, who was the bottom, was Renly a powerbottom?

We already know he likes to suck on round fuzzy peaches - was George foreshadowing possible tea-bagging in a TV adaptation?

When I was at school, twenty years ago, our English teacher used to tell us a story about how he'd asked some kids to write something about thier opinions on race. One person actually handed in an essay that started: "I'm not racist, but I don't like all these blacks and paki(stani)s coming over here and taking our jobs." I'm just saying.

When I was at school, twenty years ago, our English teacher used to tell us a story about how he'd asked some kids to write something about thier opinions on race. One person actually handed in an essay that started: "I'm not racist, but I don't like all these blacks and paki(stani)s coming over here and taking our jobs." I'm just saying.

Just to clarify, you're not comparing that to my posts here are you?

Come on! Loras is obviously the powerbottom.

:lol: I agree, but I do think they may have switched off now and again.

Now to be serious... they need to have a kissing scene at least, maybe where they are shown in the tent taking their clothes off. Then they can end the scene. It's important though to show their relationship, not just imply it, because it will make Loras' reaction to

Renly's death more powerful

. It should be made clear that they loved each other. And you know that Dany's lesbian scene will stay in, which was only about lust, not love at all.

Just to clarify, you're not comparing that to my posts here are you?

It's supposed to be funny.

What I'm saying is, thinking something privately and saying it publically are two different things. And saying "I have nothing agaist gay people but I don't want them doing things in front of me" is not that far from saying "I'm not homophobic, just afraid of gay sex".

A friend of mine is quite an authoritarian catholic woman in hher sixties. She used to be openly homophobic (but said she'd never met any gay people in her life), now she knows some openly gay men and likes them (they're really nice guys, as it happens) she's turned into one of those 'Hate the sin, love the sinner' type people. It's a kind of progress.

It's funny how, on the internet, things can devolve into a "My liberalism is bigger than your liberalism" oe-upmanship thing, isn't it?

Almost no-one with mildly prejudiced views likes to be labeled. People assume that "a racist" is someone who kicks black people to death or spits on Indian grandmothers in the street. The kind of common, mild racism that most of us practise to a certain degree generally gets rationalised as "common sense" or something that the minority in question alone deserves.

I certainly will not complain if they include some Renly/Loras action *fangirl mode*... But I don't think it will be a very good decision (for the first season).

They definitely need to show their relationship though. Loras and Renly disliked the Lannisters and shemed to make Margaery Robert's queen. It'll be an interesting subplot and prepare the viewers for the second season when Renly is king himself, the Tyrells are his allies and Margery - *his* queen. I think several private conversations between Renly and Loras will suffice. And a bit of banter since they seem the types (and the egos).

The second season is another matter altogether. It has to have Renly/Loras scenes. xD

Archived