Will Renly and Loras's homosexual relationship be shown?

Andhaira

Well it's certain to be included in the second season and they'll probably hint it in the first.

I wouldn't be surprised if Renly was portrayed as a bit flamboyant because when i read the AGOT i thought his discription hinted that he could be gay. Of course then came the Rainbow guard which made it quite obvious (that's probably the one thing i hope they change because it's so cheesy).

Pity that the viewers are not Westerosi and it will look cheesy to them.

What will be so cheesy about each of the knights of Renly's kingsguard having their own color? A lot of different characters in the books are described as wearing their house colors. Brienne wears blue, which is also the color of House Tarth. Loras probably wears green, but I'm just guessing cause I don't remember, 'cause green is the color (or one of the colors) of the Tyrells. The producers could nix the title 'Rainbow Guard' if they find it silly, but I think it fits well with Renly's love of pageantry, and his not seeming to take his kingship as seriously as he might.

If Martin created the Rainbow Guard as a hint at Renly's sexuality, it was a horrible decision. It's tasteless and they should change it for the show.

If Martin really had no idea that the rainbow flag is the symbol of the 'LGBT pride' and just accidently made it one of the symbols of a gay character (right...), then it was an accidental horrible and tasteless decision - all the more reason why it should be changed for the show.

I'm sure if the producers think the Rainbow Guard is a bit too cheesy they could do a little chat between Cat and another Northerner when she arrives at the camp about seven colours/The Seven Kingdoms/The Seven Faces of the Faith blah blah blah.

I'm sure if the producers think the Rainbow Guard is a bit too cheesy they could do a little chat between Cat and another Northerner when she arrives at the camp about seven colours/The Seven Kingdoms/The Seven Faces of the Faith blah blah blah.

This would be good, especially if the number seven and the seven colours are also displayed prominently elsewhere. I'm really looking forward to see what design they choose for septs; that would be a good start - seven sides, seven gods, seven colours in the stained glass windows...

The word "Rainbow" might not be even uttered. If done tastefully, Renly's style could do much to define his character as a king, identifying him as a potential unifier of Westeros. :crying: His sexuality can be defined in other, subtler and more moving and powerful ways.

Yes, like the two of them fucking like dogs

Nothing in the books is mentioned about them doing it doggy style....

Anyway like everyone said most people who are not that into the books will think it's silly to have the one gay character name his guard the Rainbow Guard.

I'm sure George is aware of the rainbow symbol as the LGBT emblem. However, it post-dates his youth, and may be something that hasn't rooted deeply in his consciousness.

That said, the Seven Kingdoms and the Seven led to the religious symbolism. The crystals and the rainbow of colors in a sept is mentioned in AGoT. The Rainbow Guard comes from the religious imagery that has been a part of the setting from the get go. All you need to do, really, is play up the imagery of rainbows associated with septs and the Faith and I think people will get it visually in a way that some people seem to have failed to get it textually.

I suppose the Rainbow Guard is not strictly necessary. Perhaps they can come up with some other term that speaks of pageantry and chivalry. But I think it's more a sad commentary on audiences than it is on GRRM that we have to suppose people "won't get it" and have to act preemptively by mucking around with things.

ETA: Here's a report on what GRRM said on the subject:

The Rainbow Guard isn't meant to symbolize Renly's sexuality. It was more of a culmination of several unrelated things, such as the fact that he'd already used white for the Kingsguard and black for the Night's Watch. A rainbow is seven colors combined together in one object - he compared it to a shamrock being a Irish Catholic symbol of the Holy Trinity, three parts which make up one thing. Plus it has seven colors and is tied to the Seven, plus worshipers of the Seven use prism rainbows in their temples.

Archived