The Robert Baratheon Hate thread

arek

Robert would have killed those Targaryen kids himself if Tywin hadn't done it for him. No one wants to fight a second war when they've grown up.

I don't hate Robert, but he's far from my favorite character (I agree that flaunting his Lyanna obsession in front of his family was pretty callous). He's just an overgrown teenage boy put in the wrong position. If I was King, I'd also drink and get laid as much as I could.

Robert says at one point that Ned or Jon Arryn should have been King instead, but now that I've reread the series I have serious doubts about that. Ned got himself killed for being...well, stupid. Jon Arryn gifted the court with Cersei, Littlefinger and Janos Slynt. At least Robert knew he was a terrible ruler and let people like Varys do the ruling for him.

Tywin would actually be the best King. He is one of the most evil men in this series, but most of his large-scale atrocities are done to advance House Lannister's power. If Lannister became the royal house, Westeros would be more peaceful. If he was King, Tywin would be remembered as a great lawmaker and statesman, sort of like Jaehaerys.

I've been thinking this too. Tywin would have by far beent the best choice for king as far as the realm was concerned. That being said, he would have tried to force Jaime into that role. Which would have been another disaster for the realm. Unless Jaime stayed in the KG and Tyrion took over. But that would never happen since Tywin hates Tyrion. I personnaly hated Tywin at first, but the more I look at him the more I see that he really was a force in the realm. He just didn't like to be slighted by other Houses.

Anyone whos is a fan of Robert condones marital rape, abandonment of children, anti-justice, murder and....okay I'm exaggerating, but you get the point.

All the major characters barring the children have some seriously reprehensible qualities. "Marital Rape" was the moral standard of the time, so it's hard to hate someone for it. That's like hating your great-great-grandfather for being a slave owner if he was alive at the time when that was ok. The children thing is bad, but he didn't feel a connection to them (understably, as it happens). Even Ed Stark was a murderer. Anti-justice? What does that even mean.

Just wondering..ur name is king of the south.who're u referring to by ur name?? Renly?

It's a play on words.

All the major characters barring the children have some seriously reprehensible qualities. "Marital Rape" was the moral standard of the time, so it's hard to hate someone for it. That's like hating your great-great-grandfather for being a slave owner if he was alive at the time when that was ok. The children thing is bad, but he didn't feel a connection to them (understably, as it happens). Even Ed Stark was a murderer. Anti-justice? What does that even mean.

Oh I agree. The post was more of a joke. (Although I do hate Robert with a passion.) At least the other reprehensible guys like Roose Bolton are smart or something.

By anti-justice I meant that he didn't really cared if justice was served or not a lot of times, and just stormed off when he got bored. (Sansa's direwolf, etc). Not gonna get into the marital rape/slavery because thats a whole other can of worms.

Archived