MMA 2010: Why Always the Fighting?

Oorag

Yeah, what Koz did was funny. But to say the most inflammatory thing posssible to the local crowd and then mention where you are holding your afterparty ...... that was a bit shortsighted. In the after presser he said he wasn't going to go to his afterparty now. That was probably a good idea. Montrealers can be fucking crazy. Undoubtedly it was a business decision as well. Koz knows there is no way he can appeal to the Montreal crowd for his upcoming fight against their golden boy, so why not get them all rilled up with anger and assure they'll buy the ppv you headline? No brainer.

So the American fighters don't like getting booed. Now they know how almost every non American fighter feels when they fight an American fighter on any US card. Take your lumps ladies.

Personally, I'd never boo any fighter (unless they pulled a Daley or something extraordinary). The most I would do to one of my least favourite fighters is hold the applause. Booing Machida was disgraceful. What did he ever do? I disagreed with the first decision, but that would only make me boo a judge, not a fighter who's done nothing wrong but fight his best. Unfortunately yes, we have ignorant meat head fans up here too.

Career over? Future Strikeforce/Dream champ you mean.

Jacare would own Daley and, despite Shields sitting buddy/buddy with DW, there's no guarantee that he'll jump ship. The UFC will likely throw money at him to a point, they don't need him so much as they want Strikeforce to overspend to keep him.

Really happy for Shogun. I had said before that I didn't expect of fight between these two to end in a stoppage bc of how well matched they were. I was right the first time and wrong the second. One thing about Lyoto is that he doesn't like to fight in the phonebooth, it throws off his style and makes his superior timing less of a factor. So Shogun engaging Machida and moving him backwards played a big role in this outcome. He didn't let him set or counter, so he did a great job. I'm at work so I can't break it down as much as I would like.

Warning! Rant coming. Skip the ensuing italicized paragraphs if you don't want to be put through this.

Huerta took a loss this Thursday and it really goes to show why I love what Bellator does with it's promotion and I hope that their format grows and expands. I can't tell you how much hair I pulled out from ppl who still won't give Pat Curran one ounce of respect and this is what is fundamentally wrong with MMA, the fans, and the "media" who cover it. Unless you have a name that's been cultivated and built up, noone considers you a legit fighter. What should have been considered Pat Curran proving himself is instead discussed in terms of Huerta being foolish for not taking on a "legit" fighter etc, etc.

Bellator signed good, promising prospects, not scrubs. The only reason why everyone expected Huerta to beat them is because they didn't know who they were and they didn't bother to research them well enough to know that on any given night any of them were good enough and had the pedigree to possibly give a guy like Huerta trouble. This is why I've been so pissed at Strikeforce bc they've jumped straight on that boat of only throwing name fighters at name fighters. Why not give a guy like Jacare a shot at Shields, instead they go with Hendo. Why? Bc Jacare would smoke Shields or Hendo but they can't market him like the can with the other two.

Why not build up some of the other talent on their roster, no only big names can fight. They have a talent problem, gosh why not have a tournament? I can't stand when a fighter refuses to face someone bc they're not a name. This is an individual sport, and I can guarantee that there are tons of guys who aren't getting the chance who could beat guys in promotions like Strikeforce or even the UFC. But the philosophy in those promotions are, get 5 or 6 ppl who everyone knows are "the best" and have them fight each other over and over again. Every now and then they introduce a fighter or two to the mix. But you're at the mercy of a matchmaker and have to beg for title shots and "get over" with the fans 75% of whom know little to nothing about boxing, amateur wrestling or anything else useful in MMA.

Anyway I'm off this rant. On another nice note Bellator is apparently moving forward with what is probably the deepest and most talented women's division. Megumi Fujii, who's probably the p4p best women's fighter in the world, will be crossing the Atlantic to fight for them in June. I'm eager to see if they go full force on a women's 115 lb division, and if they can, perhaps they can finally put together a fight between Fujii and Yuka Tsuji.

BTW, one of my teammates, Donyell Winrow, is going to be on the Bellator card apparently. My coach called me this weekend and asked me if I could help to spar with him. It's likely an undercard fight to get the locals to come to the show, but it gets him a payday, exposure and possibly a future pickup if he does well. I may have my problems, and I'd be little help in the cage with him at the moment, but I'm gonna do everything that I can humanly do to make it to that show.

"He drinks his own pee. The French Canadians are offended because they invented that shit and he never gave them credit."

Uh, ... what? I've never heard a thing about this before. Expand, please.

"He drinks his own pee. The French Canadians are offended because they invented that shit and he never gave them credit."

Uh, ... what? I've never heard a thing about this before. Expand, please.

It was a joke. I was teasing them for booing Lyoto.

I knew it was a joke. I was just curious if there is actually a piss drinking stereotype attached to the boys in the province next door because I've heard all manner of off colour jokes about the Quebecers, but not that one yet.

Everyone booing Lyoto should have been forced to drink their piss, IMHO.

I'm real curious what Koz was saying to Daley when he was shit talking towards the end of their fight. I find it odd that the single person I've heard in the MMA world saying he hopes the UFC does not cut Daley and gives him another chance is ...... Koz.

I take from that, that whatever Koz said, was sufficiently ignorant that he could totally understand the suckerpunch after the bell. He almost looks guilty or sheepish when he speaks of the matter. WTF did he say?

Ah yes, the Newfie joke. Classics. Unfair all around, but classic. Newfie's are cool shit in my experience.

Never realized you lived north of the border Steg.

As a kid I spent some time in Nova Scotia. My stepmother was from there.

"Weird change for the MMA thread. I lived in a small village south of Bridgewater on the coast"

Sounds nice. Off topic I know, but I didn't exactly feel like starting a thread on this alone.

Anbody able to watch Strikeforce tonight? I'm thinking of making Fantasy picks on it (although I'm not even sure if that little game is being followed on the forum anymore, which is fine, cause I've been getting ravaged on my picks lately).

Oh, and good luck to your boy Horus!

"Weird change for the MMA thread. I lived in a small village south of Bridgewater on the coast"

Sounds nice. Off topic I know, but I didn't exactly feel like starting a thread on this alone.

Anbody able to watch Strikeforce tonight? I'm thinking of making Fantasy picks on it (although I'm not even sure if that little game is being followed on the forum anymore, which is fine, cause I've been getting ravaged on my picks lately).

Oh, and good luck to your boy Horus!

I was going to drop $100 on Antwain Britt at something like +180 to Rafael Feijao and I was too busy to get on Bet US,... and got saved since Feijao was on his A game. Things like that happen in sports betting so I still have my 100 bucks. I thought I was being so smart for picking that fight as my upset special of the night.

And I was fairly impressed with Overeem's performance and if Showtime can put together a halfway decent effort at promoting a Fedor-Overeem fight it will be a success. But Showtime isn't HBO, who knows how to hype a fight right, so it will be a missed opportunity. As always, I was tired as hell with the steroids talk. If you think you're a bad ass, you should be able to beat anyone. It's an overrated issue imo, and I commend Rogers and his camp for not making it a bigger issue in the buildup except when asked about it. I'm not advocating the use of steroids, but steroids or no, you still have to put in the work, you still have to have the dedication, and whatever he has, Overeem clearly has that much. He's one of the top 10, maybe top 5, HW's in the world at the moment, and he's trained hard to get there. End of story. So I have no qualms in congratulating him on his victory.

Oh and thanks, hopefully Donyell will be on his game and impress enough to get his fight televised. I've known and trained with him for years and he's one of the coolest guys I know. If you're ever i the gym and need advice or knowledge he's one of the guys that will always take the time to provide it and set an example for a wanna-be fighter like me. He deserves to be on this show and I hope for bigger and better things for him and every guy from my gym.

Archived