MMA 2010: Why Always the Fighting?

Oorag

Yeah, not worth going into. I'm 260lbs and I've used. My opinion is that the vast majority of heavyweight fighters are users. Hell, the vast majority of fighters are users of something or other. (Anavar all around!)

I'm not morally against it and I don't think such substances should be banned.

Yeah, not worth going into. I'm 260lbs and I've used. My opinion is that the vast majority of heavyweight fighters are users. Hell, the vast majority of fighters are users of something or other. (Anavar all around!)

I'm not morally against it and I don't think such substances should be banned.

Stego was generalizing with his previous post, but I have to agree with everything said here. I've said pretty much the same in the past.

For every death from steroid and other PED abuse there are 20+ more guys who are able to cycle correctly and safely and not die. Steroids and growth hormones of all types are regularly prescribed by physicians to treat various disorders and illnesses,... including lack of growth. The thing that throws our Puritanical society into a tizzy on the issure is the empirical idea of A) using a substance for a purely "cosmetic" purpose and B ) societies philosophical aversion towards improving upon "God's work". I think that there's more than a little bit of that sentiment involved.

Now there will be numerous ppl, including my own sister who's a doctor, who will swear up an down that there is no safe usage of steroids for "cosmetic" purposes but we all know that, as it is in any scientific field, there is more than a little bit of professional bias involved.

Until the long term effects of the use of these substances are known, I'll personally not go there. I don't care if others do, best of luck to you, but I'll never do it. I also know that I'm "that guy". If I started using anabolic assistance to become a jacked freak, I'll bet a billion I'd get hooked and take it way too far (like that moron with the exploding arms too far).

I'm well aware that it is omnipresent in MMA and pretty much any other professional sport. That's just how it is. Doesn't make it any more right or wrong IMHO, but that's where we are. Not sure what, if anything, to bother doing about it.

For once MMAth was correct! I'm really looking forward to the Shogun/Evans match.

Just got done watching Dream 14. I love how they are doing the cross-promotion Strikeforce vs Dream matches. As of right now, Japanese MMA seems pretty far behind US MMA. Strikeforce doesn't have the best fighters and yet they seem to handle the Dream fighters pretty easily.

The Saku/Gracie fight was fun. I was hoping for one of two outcomes that never happened. I wanted Saku to win via Kamura or for Gracie to break Saku's elbow. Neither happened, but it was still fun to watch.

Rampage got destroyed. He did not have the skill set to even be in that ring. He really should have stayed retired.

Evans was stronger, quicker, faster, calmer, in better shape, put more effort in, and head-butted Jackson's knee and took himself down for Jackson's one 15 second highpoint of the fight. After this domination, one can only consider Rampage to be a gatekeeper like Tito or Liddell. He's not a real light heavyweight anymore.

Rampage clearly lost but labelling him as gatekeeper material is more than a little premature IMHO. Rashad is a top five LHW for sure. Dropping a decision to him is not a clear sign that it's all over.

Dropping a decision to him is not a clear sign that it's all over.

It wasn't like there was a decision to be made, man. It was pure domination.

I'm sure he can drag his career out and all, but it's not as if we could ever consider him a contender again is all I'm saying.

ETA: The Las Vegas UFC fans that boo fight and fighters suck. I'm seriously sick of it.

I hate "fans" that boo at MMA shows. I've competed in amateur MMA bouts and booing can impact how the low level fighters (like myself) perform. Even though winning is important, being entertaining is (arguably) more important for getting a big fight. No promoter wants to bring back the guy that got booed for 3 rounds. This sucks for me, because my background is in wrestling and judo... neither of which are particularly exciting for casual fans. In my last fight, I was getting the shit booed out of me, so I tried to do some G&P (which I'm not very good at, yet) and almost got sub'd as a result. At least guys like Rashad will have a job, whether they get booed or not.

I'm sure he can drag his career out and all, but it's not as if we could ever consider him a contender again is all I'm saying.

ETA: The Las Vegas UFC fans that boo fight and fighters suck. I'm seriously sick of it.

If you look down the UFC roster, Rampage is still one of the top LHW. Shogun, Machida, and Evans are a step above him, but who else do you see beating him? Thiago Silva? Jon Jones? Brandon Vera? Any of those would be a good fight. I think Jones would handle him but I like him against the other two.

When two fighters are gassed and pawing at each other is when the booing starts. Not gonna say it's justified, but they did pay to see fighting, so I understand.

Seems like often when fighters are separated after a few minutes of grappling, they have expended most of their energy.

Chael Sonnen is starting to grow on me. I love the fact that he trash talks when it really isn't necessary.

From an interview with FIGHT Magazine.

“If I beat Anderson Silva, win the world title, I imagine I’ll get in a public dispute with the UFC. I’ll call Dana a bunch of the names throughout the media. I imagine I’ll leave the company. After about a year or so I’ll realize there is no where else to go, return to the UFC with a raise and probably coach the reality show.”

“I would love to go 205. 185 pounds is the toughest division in the business. So if you’re going to go after the belt, go after the tough one. But I’d love to get a night off and beat up some of those… for god sake, 205 had a karate guy that was their champion. I mean that weight class is a joke.”

:laugh:

I hope he beats Andersen and sticks around awhile.

I always admire assuredness, even if it's totally irrational and undeserved in Sonnen's case.

But that's the mindset you need to win.

Every

he does is gold though. That fight will be huge based on Sonnen's hyping/trolling alone.

More Sonnen:

BJJ Is Gay

How can you not love this guy?

"I'm not going to lay on my back with a full grown man between my legs on TV. Some people subscribe to that, but I don't. I'm a Republican. We don't do that."

:laugh:

Ignoring the irony of stating that Republicans don't lay on their backs with a full grown man between their legs, this is just priceless. The UFC needs MORE creative trash-talkers, not less. I love the Diaz boys, but Nick saying of Frank Shamrock "I don't like him. I don't like him for all the reasons that people don't like him." Just doesn't cut it.

Archived