MMA 2010: Why Always the Fighting?

Oorag

Sonnen isn't just trash talking to hype a fight though, he sincerely believes that crap. The guy is borderline racist, homophobic, and basically a terrible person. The world needs less douchebags like him, not more.

And now you want to watch someone brutalize him in the octagon, don't you? Looks like he's succeeded.

Sonnen isn't just trash talking to hype a fight though, he sincerely believes that crap. The guy is borderline racist, homophobic, and basically a terrible person. The world needs less douchebags like him, not more.

What this guy said.

Sonnen's good at building hype, you can say that much about him. I don't see him being the guy to bring down Anderson but he is convincing at appearing he believes he will. Seems to have gone out of his way to embrace that heel role and looks like he will probably get wealthier than most off the sport doing so.

• 2 weeks later...

Where the hell is the MMA crew lately?

Nobody to discuss Chuck's spent chin? Or the fact that the Hitman dominated Paulo Thiago EVERYWHERE, even on the mat?

Or how about that crazy McDonald/Condit war?

Where r u all? I'm reduced to arguing about sexism in a Sex and the City thread for fucks sakes!

Really. I mostly lurk in this thread. And was shocked to wake up Sunday and see nothing in here.

Yves Levigne: tough job in action? or REALLY stupid stoppage? (If you watched any of the undercard on Spike)

Chuck needs to hang it up. He didn't go more conservative like Wanderlei, and he didn't try something new, like a ground and pound strategy using his wrestling. If you don't adapt to the times, goodbye.

Man that was a tough knockout.

And Franklin apparently had a broken arm at the time?

I can see Chuck maybe fighting Tito again, but otherwise he should hang them up. Unless he wants to go from a 40 year old badass to a 50 year old guy with brain damage. Assuming the horses haven't left the barn as far as that goes.

Yeah, it's hard to tell exactly how hard a punch is from the outside or how directly it hit the button but that right Franklin hit Chuck with didn't exactly appear to have a legendary amount of heat behind it. On the other hand, Chuck was coming forward with his head down, and his mouth was open, and Franklin touched his chin on a downward angle, so it may have been right on the magic pressure point. At the end of the day though, that knockout has me questioning Chuck's chin like none of the other knockouts, which appeared to be bigger shots by one punch knockout guys, has yet. God knows he looked in better shape than ever before, and he certainly was unloading with respectable power. I'd hate to have Chuck forced to retire just because he happened to be on the short end of the stick against top contenders in brawls that could have gone the other way on any given night, but he really did seem to be able to absorb the leather better back in his heyday.

Shitty thing is if he had lasted the final five seconds or whatever it was of round 1 he would have taken that fight. No way Franklin was surviving rounds two and three one armed.

I kind of thought Franklin would win this one but wanted Chuck to because he obviously had more to lose with the loss. Kind of sad seeing the old lion staring up at the lights from the canvas ... again.

Been way too busy to comment. Cro Cop's sudden ressurection will be short-lived. I was a little surprised by how comeptitive Chuck made it, but not by the result. I was pleasantly surprised by Kampmann, especially against a guy like Thiago. Still, I don't see him phasing GSP by a long shot.

TUF Finale tomorrow. Of course, Yager gets a spot on the main card for being an asshole despite quitting on the bench. Oy.

Strikeforce also tomorrow. Did the UFC schedule their finale to counterprogram SF from that far back, or is this some sort of bizarro ploy by the SF folks to bump chests with the UFC? Seems pretty pointless to try to compete with the TUF Finale. I'm calling Lawlor in the second. Why not? I don't have any confidence in Babalu these days. Even though Lawlor supposedly doesn't train anymore, I think he'll pull out another KO shot.

Frank Shamrock was on the radio this morning and was asked about whether Shields would jump ship. Shamrock simply said good riddance, he's a boring fighter. I guess it's pretty much a done deal if they're doing that kind of damage control.

Wasn't Frank Shamrock going on about how Jake Shield's had made a fan out of him during the broadcast of the Henderson fight? Yeah, that's damage control for sure.

In Yager's defence, he is a very explosive fighter and capable of putting on an entertaining fight (when he isn't quitting).

Chuck looked tough until that shot hit him perfect.

I really don't think we should read too much into one hit knockouts. They can happen to anyone on the planet.

(I'm not a Chuck fan, at all. I don't like him. Bu the instant calls for retirement are foolish.)

Chuck looked tough until that shot hit him perfect.

I really don't think we should read too much into one hit knockouts. They can happen to anyone on the planet.

(I'm not a Chuck fan, at all. I don't like him. Bu the instant calls for retirement are foolish.)

I don't think the problem is that Chuck got caught with a one hit KO. You get caught when fighting a Rampage, or a Rashaad Evans, it's pretty easy for people to shrug it off. But Rich Franklin? He's a good fighter but isn't known for his power. Also I think it was right that turned off Chucks lights. Rich is (IIRC) a lefty. So what you had was Chuck getting KO'd by the off hand of someone who doesn't have much power, even in their on hand. What that says to me is Chucks chin is gone. The only fight left for him is Tito, and maybe a Forrest Griffen. Anyone else at 205 would put him to sleep.

Heartache:

PORTLAND, Ore. – Top UFC middleweight contender Chael Sonnen announced his intention to pull out of the Oregon house race Tuesday. The 33-year-old received the Republican nomination for District 37 in May. On Tuesday, he issued the following statement:

“In the best interests of my district, I am resigning from my campaign for the Oregon House of Representatives. A 2006 legal issue has arisen that needs my immediate attention. I am not at liberty to disclose the details, but my name was involved in a real estate case that requires a ruling. If the ruling is adverse, I would be disqualified from running for office until 2011. So, given that possibility, I have chosen to withdraw my name as a candidate in 2010. I will continue to contribute to my community and ensure that we have a capable candidate to run for my district in November.”

The decision will definitely give Sonnen more time to prepare for his August 7 fight against middleweight champion Anderson Silva at UFC 117.

“That is true, but I wanted to be clear about why I was pulling out of the race,” Sonnen said.

Also I think it was right that turned off Chucks lights. Rich is (IIRC) a lefty. So what you had was Chuck getting KO'd by the off hand of someone who doesn't have much power, even in their on hand.

Franklin is actually a converted southpaw, so his right is actually his power hand.

But I agree that Chuck's chin is shot (and so does he, apparently). When you get badly KO'd in 3 straight fights at the age of 40, then I think that's a good indication that it's time to hang them up. His speech was already a little slurred, even before this last fight.

Really looking forward to the Carwin-Lesnar fight. Before the Mir fight, I would've bet the house on Lesnar, but now, I'm a little undecided. I'm still convinced that Brock doesn't like to get hit, but it's just a matter of whether Shane can land that big shot before he gets taken down.

Archived