The 3 religions of Westeros: will they be a major "character"?

One of the (many) aspects I love in the aSoIaF series, is how the religious war mirrors our own issues in today's (and yesterday's) world. Do you think the series will bring this a bit more to the surface? We have 3 religions in Westeros: the old Gods of the northmen, the 7 of the midlands and southron people, and the one god of fire that comes from the east. I'm sure there are more, but these are the most mentioned.

As HBO goes, I imagine this is a conflict they would find ripe for showing.

I don't think religion has a big of a role in the 1st book as it does later

Ned's belief is important to him, as Catelyn's is to her. It's somewhat important in the novels...

The 2 main religions are more important in aGoT, but Melisandre of Asshai and her faith of the one god becomes a major factor in the series (starting in the second novel). There's a power play going on between these beliefs, and although we don't know how Ned's religion will play into this, we can be sure it will.

This resonated with me, and I think it would be interesting to have as a secondary battle (first being the civil war) in the series.

Well, they're not avoiding it - the pilot script show's Ned praying in the Godswood after the beheading, just like in the book.

I don't think it really can be much cut or reduced as religion, especially starting in book 2, becomes a very major factor in the story. Also, the role of the faith of the Seven comes to the fore in the 4th book, with the new High Septon and what happens with Cersei and Margery. To cut these things is to cut a major part of the story - how religion was a major factor in the life of a Medieval society.

Season 2 would also introduce the Drowned God as Theon returns to the Iron Islands. It could have a brief intro in season 1 but very brief since Theon isn't very godly.

I think the religion of the books, at least for Season 1, could be acknowledged without spending an undo amount of screen time, since the only religions that really come into play are the Old Gods of the North, and the Seven in the South. It's a noteworthy moment in Book 1, for example, when Samwell Tarly chooses to say his vows in front of a Heart Tree, effectively meaning he's abandoning everything about his old life. No doubt there will be supplemental material available online that describes the religions of Westeros that will allow these moments to make full sense to the uninitiated but not require the series makers to drown the viewers in exposition to explain every last detail.

Religion becomes a much more central element to the story in later books: Book 2 introduces Stannis & Mel, Book 3 gives us the BwB, Book 4 gives us a great deal of Drowned God material as well as the Faith Militant, so these items can probably be worked in more naturally with the story.

Archived