Great locations that could be used in the series

I was wondering if any of the fans have come across places in their travels or that they found while surfing the web that they thought might be great locales for filming certain scenes for the series, some places could be modified with cgi and others with onset construction to make it more unique to the series. A market square in some medieval town that would look great for Flea Bottom or a structure that would make the perfect Inn at the Crossroads, the mountain valley that would be ideal for The Vale with of course some modifications. I will begin with the following location.

I was scouring the web months ago looking for more information on the castles and locales that were mentioned for filming the pilot when I came across Castle Coch in Wales. This castle is one of the best preserved in the U.K. and was restored back in the 19th century. My thoughts were that it would make a great exterior shot for one of the smaller castles mentioned in ASoIaF and the interiors are absolutely breathtaking, you can see the care that was taken in restoring the castle to it's 15th century glory, with some 19th century imbelishments that give it a unigue look. I have never seen this castle used in any filming before, at least for the states, so viewers would believe they were looking at something created for the series. The surrounding area is nearly unspoiled so only a little touchup work would be necessary by the effects dept.

Some other Castle shots:

Exterior from distance

Another aerial

Front entrance

Appropriate Winter shot

A breathtaking view

I was wondering if any of the fans have come across places in their travels or that they found while surfing the web that they thought might be great locales for filming certain scenes for the series, some places could be modified with cgi and others with onset construction to make it more unique to the series. A market square in some medieval town that would look great for Flea Bottom or a structure that would make the perfect Inn at the Crossroads, the mountain valley that would be ideal for The Vale with of course some modifications. I will begin with the following location.

I was scouring the web months ago looking for more information on the castles and locales that were mentioned for filming the pilot when I came across [a url=http://3547.voxcdn.com/photos/1/16/73783_l.jpg]Castle Coch in Wales. This castle is one of the best preserved in the U.K. and was restored back in the 19th century. My thoughts were that it would make a great exterior shot for one of the smaller castles mentioned in ASoIaF and the [a url=http://www.wales360.co.uk/castell_coch/]interiors are absolutely breathtaking, you can see the care that was taken in restoring the castle to it's 15th century glory, with some 19th century imbelishments that give it a unigue look. I have never seen this castle used in any filming before, at least for the states, so viewers would believe they were looking at something created for the series. The surrounding area is nearly unspoiled so only a little touchup work would be necessary by the effects dept.

Those are beautiful pictures, and the castle would be a perfect location, if only Wales truely existed. The land of Wales is a fantasy, and you were duped into believing in it...

*Kidding (if you don't know the ongoing joke).

;-p

Those are beautiful pictures, and the castle would be a perfect location, if only Wales truely existed. The land of Wales is a fantasy, and you were duped into believing in it...

*Kidding (if you don't know the ongoing joke).

;-p

My nieces husband is from Wales so I will soon get the jest once I ask him. Oh, and you need to modify your post as I have fixed the links on mine and added some links to other views.

My nieces husband is from Wales so I will soon get the jest once I ask him. Oh, and you need to modify your post as I have fixed the links on mine and added some links to other views.

The jest is here on the board, not sure if it's out in the real world. Don't know how exactly it started, but it did and now it's a fact- Wales doesn't exist...

;-D

The jest is here on the board, not sure if it's out in the real world. Don't know how exactly it started, but it did and now it's a fact- Wales doesn't exist...

;-D

Well then the laugh's on me, so I guess that means it is just some fictional castle located in a mythical land called Wales, and here I thought that it would make a great locale for the actual Kingdom of Westeros.

Oh, it would! Definitely! If it was real. ;-p

Seriously, the castle is beautiful and would make a perfect location. I see it as Acorn Hill for some reason as opposed to the Eyrie.

I am absolutely gutted that it has to be in the U.K.!

Here in the R. of I. we have the most amazing places, only a short distance from Belfast. And they're near to where I live! (Not that I'd go and stalk the set or anything.......)

:P

I went to Warwick castle the other week which is one of the best-preserved castles in Britain or Ireland, and thought it'd make quite a good Winterfell. Needs a few more towers to make it all fantastical though. Oh, and a second outer wall!

York is a beautiful medieval city which still has its old walls and gates, or 'bars' where they used to stick heads of traitors - in other words, Kings Landing!

As for pubs and market towns, take your pick!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two castles along the Mosel in Germany come to mind. They're right near my family's home.

Berg Eltz, and another.

Then there's Cochem, which was appropriated by the Nazi's for their arcane matters.

Bernkastel is a cool medieval town right in that area.

You can look for more images if it tickles your imagination.

I may be going home soon for sad reasons, but I always enjoy my stay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived