Westeros Blog: Mark Addy in Robin Hood

Mark Addy, cast as Robert Baratheon in HBO‘s Game of Thrones, will be appearing on screens around the world in Ridley Scott’s Robin Hood this weekend. He’s cast in the role of Friar Tuck, a part that he tells the BBC he was offered after Scott saw him appear in the Red Riding trilogy. Close watchers of the casting process for Game of Thrones will recall that Red Riding also featured Sean Bean and Joseph Mawle from the production, and was cast by the pilot’s U.K. casting director, Nina Gold.

A still from the film featuring Addy can be found at Ace Showbiz.

Visit the Site!

I just keep thinking of him as Inspector Boyle in Ben Elton's 'The Thin Blue Line' which starred Rowan Atkinson. Very funny, but i wouldn't have seen him as Robert. I was thinking something closer to Brian Blessed...

From the comparison's point of view, I think it was unfortunate for him having in the same film a Robert-like figure ( Richard Lionheart) performed by another actor. Addy was a good Tuck, but Danny Huston was an excellent King Richard. As a consequence, I left the cinema thinking Huston was the actor who should be cast as King Robert.

On the other hand, seeing the flame of Little John gave me hopes of HBO getting a proper Brienne. I understand that this particular actress was little else than a glorified extra, but she was a good fit. Young enough to be credible as a naive maid, plain enough to imagine her downright ugly with the proper make-up (a broken nose makes wonders to disfigure a face), nimble enough to have no problems with the training regime needed for the fights sequences. This girl shows that they are candidates who fill the physical requirements in the pool, no need to go looking between wrestlers, sportwomen or men in drag. It would be a matter "only" of finding the acting talent to match.

I just keep thinking of him as Inspector Boyle in Ben Elton's 'The Thin Blue Line' which starred Rowan Atkinson. Very funny, but i wouldn't have seen him as Robert. I was thinking something closer to Brian Blessed...

As I think has been pointed out before, Mark Addy is actually taller than Brian Blessed. Blessed comes across as a big guy purely through his attitude and shouting a lot. If Addy can nail that, we're in business for Robert ;)

I think Addy is a brilliant actor, but Robert seems so much "larger than life" that it's hard to picture him as King Robert. Wasn't Robert over 6 feet tall?

robert was about the same hight as the hound 6'7" or over

Archived