Westeros Blog: Watching Auditions

It’s interesting that agents and actors are posting audition tapes up onto video streaming sites such as Youtube and Vimeo. We’ve reported on the Charlotte Salt audition previously (since removed from Youtube), but Winter is Coming readers have discovered three more actresses auditioning for parts. According to a member of the A Song of Ice and Fire forum who used to work in Hollywood, these could be posted to ease getting them to a casting director, or to more easily allow other members of an agency to examine the auditions (thanks, Brudewollen).

Now, imagine yourself in the place of the casting director, the producers, and GRRM. You’ve received a bundle of audition tapes for the roles of Daenerys and Doreah. Which of these appeal to you more? Who gets the setting and characters and tone across? Are further auditions merited? I don’t envy them their labor! Videos embedded below:

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

While Cassie Howarth doesn't fit my image of Dany (even if I imagine her with silver hair and purple contacts, she still seems a bit too old for the part), she's probably the most stunning girl to audition for the part, from what we've seen. I'm enchanted.

For the record, I think I only said they were posting these so casting directors/producers could see them quickly. I don't think I actually said anywhere that the videos were being posted online so other members of the agencies could view them. That doesn't make sense, for a number of reasons: mostly 'cause the agents (who can take/make 75 to 100 calls a day) are way to busy with their own clients to bother with whatever some unknown or lesser known actor clients of some other agent are up to at the moment, but also because if they really want to show someone else the audition, they can just walk over to their office and hand it to them if need be, probably.

Then again, these days everything is probably much more virtual then when I was out there (when a lot of it was still on VCR tapes...), so who knows, but they'd probably be sharing videos on their internal servers, not on a public site like Vimeo or YouTube.

Archived