Questions about Heraldry

By the way, I just (re)drawn each CoA for La Garde de Nuit. It was a lot of work but now we have standardised same-size CoA for each house/character. I don't know if you lack some but if you want to use some of them... Link.

Check it out: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Reyne

There's an interesting paragraph at the bottom of the article that discusses possible inspirations.

Thanks for this Nox. You're right - that is interesting that Simon de Montfort's sigil was very similar. A couple of years ago I read Falls the Shadow (by Sharon Penman), a novel which is all about Simon. A fascinating look at the man and at that time in England.

By the way, I just (re)drawn each CoA for La Garde de Nuit. It was a lot of work but now we have standardised same-size CoA for each house/character. I don't know if you lack some but if you want to use some of them... Link.

Evrach - that is just amazing. What a lot of work you've done. So it's your work that graces the first and last page of World of Ice and Fire, yes?

Thanks for this Nox. You're right - that is interesting that Simon de Montfort's sigil was very similar. I couple of years ago I read Falls the Shadow (by Sharon Penman), a novel which is all about Simon. A fascinating look at the man and at that time in England.

My pleasure. :)

These are very nicely done, Evrach!

• 2 weeks later...

I do note something else: why are we using French heraldic terms for the Bolton arms? George mixes, but "Carnation, a flayed man affronté sanguine" is not what he uses. His specific description, as noted on the Heraldry site, is "A red flayed man on pink de sang."

It seems to me that arms should always be written as they are described by GRRM, and that proper heraldic terms (like "Carnation" or "affronté" in this case) should be avoided if GRRM himself does not use them in his notes or the books. "Affronté" is particular egregious.

Zacwill16 recently changed the blazons of various houses to use proper heraldic terminology. For instance, House Botley was changed from "Pale green semé of fish argent" to "Vert, semy of fishes argent" and House Martell was changed from "Orange, a sun in splendour gules pierced bendwise by a spear" to "Tenny, a sun in splendour gules transfixed by a spear bendwise Or".

However, GRRM has mentioned "I enjoy the heraldry just for its own sake, although I have played fast and loose with some of the real world heraldic conventions." With Ran's comments also in mind, shouldn't the description of a house's sigil match how GRRM describes them or how they are listed in The Citadel? For instance, the Botleys would be "A shoal of silver fish on pale green" and the Martells would be "A red sun pierced by a golden spear on orange".

However, GRRM has mentioned "I enjoy the heraldry just for its own sake, although I have played fast and loose with some of the real world heraldic conventions." With Ran's comments also in mind, shouldn't the description of a house's sigil match how GRRM describes them or how they are listed in The Citadel? For instance, the Botleys would be "A shoal of silver fish on pale green" and the Martells would be "A red sun pierced by a golden spear on orange".

Sounds logical to me.

The noble house template has a coat_of_arms parameter that displays "Coat of Arms". GRRM rarely uses "coat of arms" in ASOIAF (only "Besides, if a girl can't fight, why should she have a coat of arms?" in AGOT and "It was more a picture than a proper coat of arms" in AFFC). He sometimes uses just "arms", but not as frequently as "sigil", which he uses all the time. Any objections to changing the "Coat of Arms" output to "Sigil"?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

According to standard heraldic blazoning, in a partitioned shield the first portion to be described is that at the top or at left (from viewers perspective). So in this case, the shield as is on the wiki is correct and that at the citadel is around the wrong way. That being said, however, it may be that westerosi heralds blazon differently to our own, as can be seen in all their chevrons being reversed compared to a real world heraldic chevron.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd mention this here: I've just added a few new CoAs to the wiki - for House Shett of Gulltown (non Gull Tower), personal arms for Ossifer Lipps and Harry Hardyng, as per the recently released WoW excerpt.

For Harry's arms, it is stated that it is quartered, 1st Hardyng, 3rd Waynwood, 2nd & 4th Arryn - it should be 2nd & 3rd Arryn and 4th Waynwood to get a more balanced, normal-looking quartering. The way it is, you get two Arryn quarters occupying half the shield. I decided to make that half a single Arryn sigil, rather than two, because I think it looks better.

Do you think GRRM made a mistake with his quarter numbering in the text? Or should two Arryn quarters be sitting atop one another?

I guess we'll just have to wait. Hopefully it gets picked up!

Another thing, and I know this has been mentioned before but with regards to the blazoning of arms on the wiki most of them are blazoned as if they were British/European heraldic devices, which isn't accurate (both in the sense of the 'real' blazoning in Westeros, which seems to be almost non-existant, and because Westerosi heraldry is far more liberal, especially with regards to colours, than our own). Surely it would be better to have a description of the 'sigil'/arms as described in the books or at the Citadel, and then perhaps parenthesised after it an attempt at a British/European blazon (which will fall short, but they're persisting on the wiki, so people are obviously insistent that they stay).

Thoughts?

Archived