Questions about Heraldry

I guess we'll just have to wait. Hopefully it gets picked up!

Another thing, and I know this has been mentioned before but with regards to the blazoning of arms on the wiki most of them are blazoned as if they were British/European heraldic devices, which isn't accurate (both in the sense of the 'real' blazoning in Westeros, which seems to be almost non-existant, and because Westerosi heraldry is far more liberal, especially with regards to colours, than our own). Surely it would be better to have a description of the 'sigil'/arms as described in the books or at the Citadel, and then perhaps parenthesised after it an attempt at a British/European blazon (which will fall short, but they're persisting on the wiki, so people are obviously insistent that they stay).

Thoughts?

Could you perhaps post an example of how you think it would look best?

Excellent. I'll go through and make the changes. I'm going to have to create the term 'vert-cendrée' for grey-green though, as it is used fairly frequently and is clearly distinct from grey or green and doesn't have a real world approximate

ETA: Houses of the Vale, Stormlands, Riverlands, and Westerlands done.

• 2 weeks later...

There are two differerent versions of the coat of arms of House Targaryen in the World book, the one on the cover and the one on the page of the Targaryen family tree. Which one do you consider more accurate?

The cover sigil is very similar to the show's version, which might have been chosen for marketing purposes. The dragon in the appendices has four legs plus wings, which appears to be in error (GRRM's dragons have only two legs and two wings). The sigil in the TWOIAF lineage appears to be a new design.

I don't think the dragon's posture has been mentioned; it is merely described as a three-headed dragon, red on black, in ASOIAF. TWOIAF then adds that Aegon's great battle standard was "a red three-headed dragon breathing fire upon a black field".

Archived