A Thread for Small Questions III

Lady Blackfish

Rereading SoS atm. Meera relates the story of Howland meeting Eddard and his siblings at Whent's tourney to Bran. Eddard dances witha maid with laughing purple eyes, with whom he is obviously smitten. Obviously a Targaryen, but exactly who is she?

The Targaryens have eye colors that aren't natural. But in real life, some people have a sort of blue eye that's described as violet (Elizabeth Taylor is GRRM's example), and that's what the Daynes are supposed to get. It's not the Valyrian lilac, plum, and other such colors.

The Targaryens have eye colors that aren't natural. But in real life, some people have a sort of blue eye that's described as violet (Elizabeth Taylor is GRRM's example), and that's what the Daynes are supposed to get. It's not the Valyrian lilac, plum, and other such colors.

Oh cool. This eye colour thing GRRM mentioned recently is fascinating to me. It really does add to the character visualization somehow, and yet...

I was reading an article on eye color a few weeks ago, spurred by a discussion of Melisandre's red eyes, and one of the things that stuck with me was that black and violet eyes are supposed to be a kind of deformity (can't recall the actual word they used). It was pretty interesting, I can't find it on a quick scan right now but I'll see if I can dig it up again later.

Why is no-one else creeped out that if you take all our theories about the series to their logical conclusion, the crowning moment at the end of the series is a young man getting it on with his aunt?

Why is no-one else creeped out that if you take all our theories about the series to their logical conclusion, the crowning moment at the end of the series is a young man getting it on with his aunt?

Oh, I might be creeped out if that is, in fact, what will happen. But, the real question is how "hawt" is the aunt? :P

At least it isn't brother-sister. And when you think of aunt/uncle you usually think of them as being older than their niece/nephew but in this case they are around the same age

Oh, I might be creeped out if that is, in fact, what will happen. But, the real question is how "hawt" is the aunt? :P

Smoking hot. Melt your face off with dragon breath hot. Cause men 3 times her age to stop spying on and fall in love with her hot.

At least it isn't brother-sister. And when you think of aunt/uncle you usually think of them as being older than their niece/nephew but in this case they are around the same age

Yeah, by the brotherfucking standards of what's common among multiple POV characters, it's pretty tame. I just can't recall too many stories that feature aunt and nephew growing up on opposite sides of the world, not knowing they are destined to be with one another for the good of humanity.

I almost hope it ends up that way. Will be th greatest auntfucking story every told.

Wow. That's the creepiest thing in the series for you? When you get to cousin stage its not that uncommon or dangerous. Jerry Lee Lewis married his cousin back in the 50's iirc, but the newsworthy aspect of that was the fact that she was 15 rather than their close relative status.

Compared to eldritch zombies, rape etc it don't even raise an eyebrow for me. (As long as I dont hafta imagine my aunts.... *shiver*)

Wow. That's the creepiest thing in the series for you? When you get to cousin stage its not that uncommon or dangerous. Jerry Lee Lewis married his cousin back in the 50's iirc, but the newsworthy aspect of that was the fact that she was 15 rather than their close relative status.

Compared to eldritch zombies, rape etc it don't even raise an eyebrow for me. (As long as I dont hafta imagine my aunts.... *shiver*)

Not the creepiest by any stretch (nothing is creepier than any description of Ramsey Bolton's lips), but how many happy nephew-aunt love affairs do you know about

Then add in the destiny aspect, and it's amusing to put the modern spin on it: "So he's meant to end up with his aunt, is that right?"

Guest Other-in-Law

Not the creepiest by any stretch (nothing is creepier than any description of Ramsey Bolton's lips), but how many happy nephew-aunt love affairs do you know about

No nephew-aunt ones offhand, but Phillip II of Spain and Anna of Austria seem to have had a happy uncle-niece marriage.

Guest Other-in-Law

Because it's about his father and uncles and aunt Lyanna, and the beginning of Robert's Rebellion.

Do we know what happened at Summerhall? Rheagar was supposed to be born in the midst of some tragedy there and the ancient dwarf lady with her dreams seems connected to it through somone named Jenny. Is there someplace where this is all explained?

Do we know what happened at Summerhall? Rheagar was supposed to be born in the midst of some tragedy there and the ancient dwarf lady with her dreams seems connected to it through somone named Jenny. Is there someplace where this is all explained?

The short answer is no.

Although it is suspected that attempted hatching of dragons has something to do with it.

Could you refresh my memory, what man and aunt?

Archived