A Thread for Small Questions III

Lady Blackfish

Re-reading GOT right now and I can't recall why Littlefinger lied about the dagger's owner to Catelyn (it was won by Robert not Tyrion who never bets against his brother). Did he just want to feed any suspicions against the Lannisters? Was he just fucking with them? Did he know that would lead to the capture of Tyrion and hence the war?

Thanks

Re-reading GOT right now and I can't recall why Littlefinger lied about the dagger's owner to Catelyn (it was won by Robert not Tyrion who never bets against his brother). Did he just want to feed any suspicions against the Lannisters? Was he just fucking with them? Did he know that would lead to the capture of Tyrion and hence the war?

Thanks

I think this might not be a small question. All of Littlefinger's motives have not been spelled out explicitly in the books, so any answer is going to be tinged with speculation and would probably be more suitably addressed in a thread with lots of discussion (there probably are some already on this topic). We do know that Littlefinger is actively playing the game of thrones (where you win or you die) and views other people as players or pieces. Look at what he tells Sansa about Joffrey's murder for example:

I had no motive. Besides, I am a thousand leagues away in the Vale. Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you. Remember that, Sansa, when you come to play the game.

I'd say the answer is probably yes to your first two questions and something like that to your third question. For Littlefinger to gain power he needed to make sure that one powerful house didn't gain sole control of the throne. Bringing the Starks into conflict with the Lannisters was a good strategy for destabilizing and preoccupying the Lannisters.

I'd recommend making a separate thread for your question. Here are some previous related threads also:

My link

My link

My link

My link

Thanks. As for little or big question, I thought I couldn't start my own topic yet and I couldn't find the answer in a search. I was looking for a simple answer, a quote, but as you say it hasn't been answered simply yet. From what we know right now, and your quote, he's just fucking with them. I agree with everything you say about strategy as well. Cheers!

Can someone clarify what happened between Sansa and Sandor at the end of the Battle of the Blackwater? I remember that there were two different perspectives as to what happened with the Kiss. Can someone tell me whats happened or was thought to have happened?

Can someone clarify what happened between Sansa and Sandor at the end of the Battle of the Blackwater? I remember that there were two different perspectives as to what happened with the Kiss. Can someone tell me whats happened or was thought to have happened?

Before fleeing from KL, the Hound goes to Sansa and makes her sing the song that she owed her. At some point, the Hound gets closer and Sansa closes her eyes and "fears" he's going to kiss her. But nothing happens and the Hound leaves.

However, when Sansa recalls the incident in ASOS and AFFC, she is sure that the Hound kissed her. While she never acknowledges it to herself, by the way she things about it it seems that she wished to be kissed by him and has constructed the memories of it.

Aeron, the Damphair twice or thrice remembers "the screaming sound of an iron hinge" (quoted from mind). Obviously that thought is getting him quite fearful. If Im not wrong this memory is also always associated with Euron.

Has anybody a guess what this memory could be about?

I always thought that Euron has done something especially evil to Aeron, maybe locking him up in some dungeon in his childhood and torturing/abusing him? But maybe I am just misinterpreting.

I have a couple questions. This might be nitpicking a bit too much but I'm not a big fantasy reader. Anyway:

1. Do we ever learn where Dany's eggs come from? Exactly how long have dragons been extinct? How would dragon eggs be able to live for so long?

2. What exactly is the House of the Undying? Is this basically where all the leaders of Qarth are? Why did she see all those prophecies and such?

2a. Actually, come to think of it, what was the whole point of Dany's story in Qarth? I don't recall anything that significant happening there, except for the house of undying. She wandered, went there, had an acid trip in the House of Undying, someone attempted to swindle her for her dragons, then she left.

3. Forgot to add this question: To my understanding, the only people who know that Bran and Rickon are alive is Sam, Gilly, and Ramsay Bolton. But I haven't seen the Boltons use this information at all. Have they searched for them at all? Are they concerned that they're alive? Did Ramsay even tell his father this information?

I am projecting that Jon plunges white hot steel to Dany's heart in order to forge the magical sword.

Who else is going to play Nissa?

Drogo.

I have a couple questions. This might be nitpicking a bit too much but I'm not a big fantasy reader. Anyway:

1. Do we ever learn where Dany's eggs come from? Exactly how long have dragons been extinct? How would dragon eggs be able to live for so long?

We don't know where her eggs come from. We just know generally that there are a small number of dragon eggs, I assume, in various private collections. They are thought to be inanimate stone and not living eggs. Dragons have been extinct in Westeros for a little over a hundred years. I assume that they went extinct in the rest of the world at about the time of the Doom of Valaria. Dany's eggs are at least several hundred years old. As to how an egg can live that long, it is not clear that they can. Either they were actually living eggs that appeared to be dead stone or they were dead stone reanimated by magic.

2. What exactly is the House of the Undying? Is this basically where all the leaders of Qarth are? Why did she see all those prophecies and such?

The House of the Undying is the hall of the warlocks. It is not the seat of political power in Qarth. The warlocks will likely regain a good bit of power in Qarth now that their magic is returning to them, if they can recover from the loss of the House of the Undying, but they are not the Qartheen aristocracy. I can't remember what they were call, something or other of a thousand thrones. As to your last question, the best I can give you is that it is magic.

2a. Actually, come to think of it, what was the whole point of Dany's story in Qarth? I don't recall anything that significant happening there, except for the house of undying. She wandered, went there, had an acid trip in the House of Undying, someone attempted to swindle her for her dragons, then she left.

A bit of character development for Dany, she learns not to trust benefactors, and foreshadowing of future events via the House of the Undying. Also to show that magic is returning to the world.

3. Forgot to add this question: To my understanding, the only people who know that Bran and Rickon are alive is Sam, Gilly, and Ramsay Bolton. But I haven't seen the Boltons use this information at all. Have they searched for them at all? Are they concerned that they're alive? Did Ramsay even tell his father this information?

Theon is not dead for one, and unless Osha is hiding Rickon in the wilderness somewhere a good many other people know as well. Its likely she took him to someplace like White Harbor or Last Hearth or Greywatch and the people at whatever location she took him will know. Its not like she can pass off Shaggy as anything other than a direwolf and Rickon would not bare to be parted from him. As to the Bolton's, this stuff will be covered in ADWD.

The eggs were wedding gifts from Illyrio.

Yes, the Boltons are searching for Bran. During one of his chapters while he is fleeing North, a man (innkeep, I think?) tells him something along the lines of there are flayed men looking for two young boys with a wolf and paying gold for them. I think they may have described Hodor and Osha too. Anyway, the flayed men are Bolton men (Bolton's sigil is the flayed man).

Question about legitimacy of children: At what point does a bastard become a bastard? Is it at conception or birth? Eg. if a bastard was conceived, and then the parents were married even as much as a few days prior to the birth, would that make the child legitimate? Or must it be conceived only after the wedding?

(innkeep, I think?)

It was a man from one of the mountain clans that live northwest of Winterfell. Bran and co. came across him when they sought shelter in a cave during a storm. I don't believe they ever went near enough to a village to see an innkeep.

My question is does anyone remember the book where Jaime thinks about he would have killed (Arya? Mycah?) if he had gotten to her first? It was a chapter from his POV and he's reminiscing about how he used to be under Cersei's thumb.

AFFC, Jaime talking to Ilyn Payne at Darry, just after his interview with Lancel in the sept.:

“As I was fucking her, Cersei cried, ‘I want.’ I thought that she meant me, but it was the Stark girl that she wanted, maimed or dead.” The things I do for love. “It was only by chance that Stark’s own men found the girl before me. If I had come on her first . . .”

I thought the general consensus was that he was referring to Lyanna...no?

Archived