A Thread for Small Questions III

Lady Blackfish

I noticed that the timeline between chapters is slightly off in AFFC, like when Brienne is in Maidenpool or some similar town and there is a ship called Titan's Daughter that's leaving for Braavos, Arya's ship, and so I'm wondering if Septon Meribald is the High Septon, they both have no shoes and well it makes me curious. Also, first post.

Welcome, Radio Changes. :)

Septon Meribald is not the High Septon. Brienne meets the future High Septon with his followers in her first chapter, with Ser Creighton and Ser Illifer. Notice that the speech that the nameless, barefoot septon gives is later echoed by one of the High Septon's followers when Cersei comes to visit the new High Septon.

I noticed that the timeline between chapters is slightly off in AFFC, like when Brienne is in Maidenpool or some similar town and there is a ship called Titan's Daughter that's leaving for Braavos, Arya's ship, and so I'm wondering if Septon Meribald is the High Septon, they both have no shoes and well it makes me curious. Also, first post.

Yeh, the order is whack about there. By the end of AFFC the tentative timeline has Arya almost one year ahead of any other storyline. Since she's in ADWD I wonder how everyone else is going to catch up, or if George is trying to sneak an extra year of development in there.

Anyway about Arya's ship in Maidenpool see this very thread. I thought she had to be on board but I ended up deciding she'd probably been dropped off and it had returned without her. It really can be red either way, and neither makes perfect sense.

(edit) P.S. Discussion continues for some time till page 9.

“King,” croaked the raven. The bird flapped across the air to land on Mormont’s shoulder. “King,” it said again, strutting back and forth.

“He likes that word,” Jon said, smiling.

“An easy word to say. An easy word to like.”

“King,” the bird said again.

“I think he means for you to have a crown, my lord.”

“The realm has three kings already, and that’s two too many for my liking.” Mormont striked the raven under the beak with his finger, but all the while his eyes never left Jon Snow.

--CoK, pg. 105

The above scene, most of commentators have used it to support Jon = R+L theory, however, when I read that last sentence, I can't help but think that Mormont staring at Jon Snow has nothing to do with R+L but him knowing that Jon's brother Robb has become a King and that Jon would be wanting to join him. Just thought I'd share my observation...

I'd always thought that Dareon had to die before Sam left Braavos, since Aemon wondered whether he would "find Dareon whole and happy" when he died. Not that that helps the timeline.

I think Aemon was referring to his brother Daeron, who we see in THK as an alcoholic failure terrified by his prophetic dreams.

Yeh, the order is whack about there. By the end of AFFC the tentative timeline has Arya almost one year ahead of any other storyline. Since she's in ADWD I wonder how everyone else is going to catch up, or if George is trying to sneak an extra year of development in there.
No need to be a psychic: GRRM has said that ADWD would cover more time than AFFC, and so naturally it follows that the Arya chapters would happen towards the end, to resolve her cliffhanger and get her back into the thick of the plot. Chapters not being in sync with each others is nothing new, even in AGOT we have Dany chapters happen some six month to one year before even the prologue... It's not really important, and even less when you consider the author will be actually willing to stretch time, so the heroes can not only age, but gain skills, knowledge and connections at a believable pace.

There are, it should be noted, other Targaryens that "look nothing like a Targaryen". Baelor Breakspear being a notable one. Ser Aegor Rivers, aka Bittersteel, is another. The purple eyes and silver-gold hair is not a trait that passes at all times when the Targaryens marry out to other, non-Valyrian families.

In ACoK, right before the mysterious book burning, huntsmen bring Lord Bolton the skins of nine wolves (seven adults and two pups), which he then has turned into a blanket and gloves (ACoK, p. 895 PB.) Could this be related to events at either the Battle of Winterfell or the Red Wedding? Bran/Rickon doubles or Robb/his squire being represented by the pups.

Has anyone noticed that the House of Black and White has statues of

basically every major religion in the world of ASOIAF

Except for a Heart Tree from the old gods? Why is that?

Does the faceless god hate nature? Were the faceless men

toe lazy to add in a sun roof?

Edit: Grammar

Has anyone noticed that the House of Black and White has statues of

basically every major religion in the world of ASOIAF

Except for a Heart Tree from the old gods? Why is that?

Does the faceless god hate nature? Were the faceless men

toe lazy to add in a sun roof?

Edit: Grammar

I am pretty sure that Dany opened a door in the House of the Undying that was made of weirwood.

I just looked it up, there is a weirwood door of sorts. US paperback page 703.

"To her right, a set of wide wooden doors had been thrown open. They were fashioned of ebony and weirwood, the black and white grains swirling and twisting in a strange interwoven pattern. They were very beautiful, yet somehow frighting."

Archived