A Thread for Small Questions III

Lady Blackfish

This probably seems kind of knit-picky, but I just finished rereading AFfC and there have been a couple references to "old Volantis"(something about noble blood being there, and then Arya sees a galley from there in Braavos). I was wondering if we have any way of knowing whether this is just a simple matter of diction, or if Volantis is a different place from Old Volantis, the way Old Ghis and New Ghis are different. Thoughts?

Has anyone noticed that the House of Black and White has statues of

basically every major religion in the world of ASOIAF

Except for a Heart Tree from the old gods? Why is that?

Does the faceless god hate nature? Were the faceless men

toe lazy to add in a sun roof?

Edit: Grammar

The gods represented in the House of Black and White are all death gods. Or in the case of

the stranger, the facet of the 7 faces that is death. The heart trees do not serve as a

pantheon. There is no single representation of death.

I know some who think the heart trees are in fact the final life phase of the Children (those

who reached the height of elightenment) and subsumed themselves into these weirwoods to

live forever in a state of transcendence. The knowledge of how to do this was lost to the

First Men over the ages and slowly led to a belief in the north that the trees were

"gods". The faith that Eddard Stark holds to is the product of hundreds and hundreds of

years worth of social evolution. (so the theory holds, GRRM has been silent on this question so

far as I know)

So there would be no way to represent heart trees in the House of Black and White.

When Arya first walked in she saw a representation of a horse reared up. Would that be

a Dothraki belief perhaps? Like when Dany thought she saw Drogo rear skyward when she cremated him?

didn't want to open a new thread for it. so, I am re-reading the series now. in ACOK, in the chapter when Bran and Rickon "escape" and Theon searches for them, Reek(AKA Ramsey Bolton) brings along, from the begining of the search, Bran's and Rickons outfits. of course we may assume that he is smart enough to think of the option that the Stark boys won't be found and have this back-up plan to kill the miller's boys insted prepared in advance. but is he? smart enough, i mean? or is there a chance he knew that the Starks won't be found because they hide in the tombs, and was part of a...let's say conspiracy...to make the world believe they are dead? of course, this doen't sit well with his character, him being a sadistical and totally uncaring brute and accordingly should have at least taken them when he burnt Winterfell(unless he asumed they will perish)...well, maybe I'm just weaving nets where there are none. what say you?

i wonder what kind of exercises ladies do, they have to do something to stay fit and slim with all those dish after dish after dish during feasts :P

Many ladies learn to ride, which is good exercise.

Also sitting perfectly still with excellent posture is good core work, especially depending on how comfortable your seat is.

I was wondering about baby Rheago. Dany does not look at the stillborn baby, that much I remember. She only sees her son in a dream. What did they do to his body? Did they burn him on the funeral pyre with Khal Drogo? Or was his body discarded before the pyre?

Guest Other-in-Law

Did they burn him on the funeral pyre with Khal Drogo? Or was his body discarded before the pyre?

I think Jorah got rid of him before Dany could ever see him.

A question about the ship Titan's Daughter:

I had read somewhere else on this board that there was a timeline error concerning the apperances of the ship. Arya boards at Saltpans and gets off at Bravoss. Later Brienne sees the ship during her travels. I had read that this somehow represented a timeline error but I don't see it.

1. Arya boards at Saltpans.

2. Ship travels across the sea to Bravoss

3. Ship travels back to Westros where Brienne sees it.

Can someone enlighten me as to why this may or may not be an error?

Ooooooh, how suspect...

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, opens up for the new theory.......

Rhaego is still alive! :commie: :laugh:

No, I don't think Rhaego is alive. But if Ser Jorah got rid of the body, then the body of Rhaego wasn't used as part of the bloodmagic that gave birth to the dragons. I was reading a ADWD spoiler chapter (Jon, I think) where they are talking about burning kings and their baby princes. Jon is unbelievable that sort of thing would happen. Maester Aemon tells him (this is off the top of my head btw) that there is much power of the blood of kings and Stannis and Mel are not the first to try such a thing.

I know some who think the heart trees are in fact the final life phase of the Children (those

who reached the height of elightenment) and subsumed themselves into these weirwoods to

live forever in a state of transcendence.

That would be wild. Some straight-out-of-Orson-Scott-Card stuff there. Anyone know if GRRM ever read/likes OSC?

Does GRRM ever reveal who all of Roberts bastards were? Cersi's fortelling stated that the king would have six and ten children. Of these 16 bastards I can only count 4:

Mya Stone

Edrik Storm

Gendry

The Babe slain in GoT, begat by the whore

Are others mentioned?

Here's 3 more kids-

Littlefinger tells Ned in AGOT that Robert got twins on a serving girl at Casterly Rock. The rumor was Cersei had the twins killed and the mother was sold to a passing slaver ship.

Bella the whore at the Peach. Arya and Gendry meet her when they stay there with the BWB.

Archived