A Thread for Small Questions III

Lady Blackfish

This has probably been brought up before, but I can't find it.

Who started the Night's Watch? Not so much what individual (one assumes Bran the builder), but what political force? The wall's been around for 8,000 years and that's well before the seven kingdoms were united. So did the Stark's foot the bill alone for 7,000 plus years or did the other kingdoms send their troops to the watch even though the wall is on Stark Land? It seems unlikely they would help protect Stark borders even if it helps them indirectly. How much cooperation would their have been between seven independent kingdoms before Aegon's conquest?

It sounds like everyone who barely survived the Long Night (which is everyone) decided it was important. It's not like they're helping the Starks, per se -- they're helping everyone. The land isn't really Stark land, either -- it was given to the Watch as an independent territory.

I'd compare this to the amount of people who went on Crusade after the Latin Kingdom was established. From one perspective, you know, why go out there to fight and maybe die to protect the graceless, ungenerous King of Jerusalem when you can fight to protect your own home? On the other hand, it's the Holy Land -- 'nuff said for many. The Crusade was a pan-European concern, and the Night's Watch was a pan-Westeros concern.

This has probably been brought up before, but I can't find it.

Who started the Night's Watch? Not so much what individual (one assumes Bran the builder), but what political force? The wall's been around for 8,000 years and that's well before the seven kingdoms were united. So did the Stark's foot the bill alone for 7,000 plus years or did the other kingdoms send their troops to the watch even though the wall is on Stark Land? It seems unlikely they would help protect Stark borders even if it helps them indirectly. How much cooperation would their have been between seven independent kingdoms before Aegon's conquest?

Legend holds that it was Bran the Builder who raised the wall and established the watch to man it. But nobody knows for sure because it occured in the days of the First Men who kept no written records, only runes and glyphs that were carved into objects. It was later when the Andals came with their belief in a 7-aspected god that the written record came into being and by then the wall had stood for quite some time.

Sorry but no, Darry wasn't in the Kingsguard, the lines of the White Bull, I think, state that he isn't and that the KG doesn't flee, but it's true he has honor. However I'm convinced that Dany is Aerys daughter.

Opps, yes that was a screw up on my part. Page 425 of GoT:

"Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him". "Ser Willem is a good man and true," said Ser Oswell. "But not of the kingsguard", ser Gerold pointed out. "The kingsguard do not flee"

It does not change my position on Dany's parentage. The queen was (raped) by the king just prior to the outbreak of the war of the usurper. When the queen was heavy with child the war came to the gates of King's Landing so she fled to Dragonstone with Ser Willem and Viserys. After Dany was born, Ser Willem led them across the narrow sea into exile.

Don't suppose Dany was actually Willem Darry's kid do you? I mean he did always refer to her as "My little princess." :P Run with it my fellow conspiracy theorists, run!

I don't think this is true because i cant see someone who is not of Targaryen blood awaken dany's dragons.

Wait, nvm Dany's mother was Aerys II's sister wasn't she?

This might be possible, but how could it affect the story?

because she'd still be Aerys' heir.

Wait, nvm Dany's mother was Aerys II's sister wasn't she?

Yes, which means that there's really no way that Westeros is going to have a non-inbred king for the foreseeable future.

EDIT: I really admire Rhaegar Targaryen for looking outside of his immediate family in his romantic pursuits. It was a nice little touch that showed how different he was from his father.

EDIT: I really admire Rhaegar Targaryen for looking outside of his immediate family in his romantic pursuits. It was a nice little touch that showed how different he was from his father.

He didn't have the choice, he didn't have any sister and was at a marriable age, it was logical that Aerys (yes it was Aerys that decided to mary his son, like every father) chooses him a wife from a family he wanted to ally.

He didn't have the choice, he didn't have any sister and was at a marriable age, it was logical that Aerys (yes it was Aerys that decided to mary his son, like every father) chooses him a wife from a family he wanted to ally.

I was thinking more about Lyanna than Elia, but that's a good point.

It's not proven, and not everyone believes that. The main evidence seems to be that both Benjen Stark and Coldhands are or appear to be rangers of the Watch, and that Benjen vanished but his body -- unlike those of other vanished rangers -- was never actually found. This could suggest that Benjen was revivified as a wight -- not the soulless monsters we're used to, but a creature of gallantry and grace, similar to Lord Beric. However, Bran Stark -- Benjen's brother's son -- does not recognize him even though they meet in the third book. I know Bran has done some stupid things in previous novels (climbing around the castle without a partner, investing in Bernie Madoff's hedge fund) but I think he wouldn't miss something like that.

I've always wondered, the dragons of Valyria are mentioned several times as being bred for war, I always took that to imply a wolf-dog relationship. That is to say, a Valyrian dragon would be much more manageable than a wild-type dragon. Yet, Dany's dragons are from the Shadowlands, and thus likely wild-type, yet they seem to be easily trained. Explain plz.

They're not that well-behaved.

They have been linked to the murder of children, persecution of livestock, and general murder and mayhem when cooped up too long. They do obey Daenerys, because she is not only their owner but their mother, having breathed life into their lifeless stone husks.

Why does everyone think that Coldhands is Benjen Stark?

Bad blood circulation. Before he joined the Night's Watch, and when he was just a lithe lordling, he was always trying to get it on with the girls. But every time he got to second base, they would invariably scream "EEEK, get your freaking cold hands off of me!" In the end, he just thought Screw this, I'm joining the Watch!

And hence, a nickname was born...

I have a very very small question which bothers me. I haven't read the threads for fear of spoilers -- I'm on my first reading -- so if it was asked before, I apologize.

In A Clash of Kings, during Davos' POV, him and Stannis drink some water together, while they were near Storm's End. Stannis takes a pinch of salt and drops it in his cup. Why did he do that? Was it for fear of poison, disease, or something else entirely?

I know it's insignificant, but it made me curious nonetheless.

Do any of the offices of the government come with their own castles? The Wardens, for the most part, are always local lords in their regions, so they're seen to, but does the Master of Laws have way-castles and perhaps even regional courts, or does he just drop in now and again with various lords and displace them? I seem to recall the Warden of the Cinque ports had castles that came with that office, castles to hold the ports that were his jurisdiction -- has the Master of Ships anything similar?

Archived