A Thread for Small Questions III

Lady Blackfish

Hey, welcome!

Just checked, and the prologue does actually describe them as Others. What language translation is this in?

Thanks for the welcome!

The book is in Swedish and the translators have used the same word for the "creatures" from the prolouge as they have for the undead that attacks Jon and Mormont.

Are they described as wights in the prolouge aswell as (I assume) in the attack on Mormont's tower later on?

Thanks for the welcome!

The book is in Swedish and the translators have used the same word for the "creatures" from the prolouge as they have for the undead that attacks Jon and Mormont.

Are they described as wights in the prolouge aswell as (I assume) in the attack on Mormont's tower later on?

IIRC, the Prologue is the only time we see the Others, and there aren't any wights there at all (except for poor Waymar Royce) while in the attack on the tower theres only Wights (Thats the zombies - Others seem to some non-human lifeform alltogether.) Hm. The translation really seems to have done a disservice there.

Sam killed an Other not ice zomby or whatever. After contact with the Dragon glass the creature just melted which implies its more magical creature (same as shadows) rather than humanoid.

IIRC, the Prologue is the only time we see the Others, and there aren't any wights there at all (except for poor Waymar Royce) while in the attack on the tower theres only Wights (Thats the zombies - Others seem to some non-human lifeform alltogether.) Hm. The translation really seems to have done a disservice there.

But how does GRRM describe the thingies in the prologue? Does it say "the Other raised its sword" or "the wight raised its sword or what?

But how does GRRM describe the thingies in the prologue? Does it say "the Other raised its sword" or "the wight raised its sword or what?

"The Other slid forward on silent feet," "the Other parried almost lazily," etc.

Shoot! I forgot about Sams Other.

"The Other slid forward on silent feet," "the Other parried almost lazily," etc.

Shoot! I forgot about Sams Other.

Thanks man/girl!

That sure clears up a lot of things.

Wow, the translators really screwed up then. I suspected that they actually were Others since it said that they talked to each other in some strage language which the wights obviously didn't.

How is Ser pronounced? I always assumed that since it isn't spelled Sir that it also was pronounced differently. So I've always pronounced it Sair but I thought I'd ask and see what the correct pronunciation is.

I haven't listened to the audiobooks, but in my mind I always pronounce it "sair", to rhyme with "air."

We don't hear about them after the chapter where the mutiny happens, but there's a slight implication that they might soon be reprogrammed by the Others.

These are the last lines of that chapter:

“They?” said Sam, and the raven cocked its black head and echoed, “They. They. They.”

“The boys brothers,” said the old woman on the left. “Craster’s sons. The white cold’s rising out there, crow. I can feel it in my bones. These poor old bones don’t lie. They’ll be here soon, the sons.”

Took me a second to remember what that confusion was.

King Robert plans to have Sweetrobin fostered with the Lannisters after Jon Arryn's death. This si something Catelyn knows.

Jon Arryn was planning to foster Sweetrobin with Stannis before his death. This is something that Catelyn did not know.

So when she is told in the Vale that Sweetrobin was going to be fostered with Stannis she is confused.

PS, oh and the purpose is that the motivation behind Lysa's murder of Jon Arryn is revealed.

What evidence is there to say that Loras is gay? It's something I've seen aroundd the forums frequently the last few days, but I never really got that impression from the books. There's likely something major I've overlooked, I'm just curious.

What evidence is there to say that Loras is gay? It's something I've seen aroundd the forums frequently the last few days, but I never really got that impression from the books. There's likely something major I've overlooked, I'm just curious.

Its never quite stated outright but is very heavily implied (and GRRM has said it is so):

probably something i'm forgetting but the main points:

- several people make veiled references to Renly and/or Loras being gay: Stannis (Margaery is likely to stay a virgin), Cercei (suspecting lesbianism of Margaery when shes thinking whether she might be similar to Loras "that way also") the Hound ("Shove that someplace even Renly never found"), Viserys (always hard to find a bride for a third son or something to that effect, and "Doubly so in Loras case").

- The very close relashionship between Renly and Loras and the aloof coolness both of them have to women, despite being surrounded by perfectly gorgeous ones constantly. Loras remembering someone as "a sun which set that no candle can replace", the hilarious pause when saying what they did the night before the battle, "we...prayed together."

- the general imagery around both of being attractive, extremely well dressed, colorful, etc, and Renlys rainbow (flag) guard.

I don't know if this warrants it's own thread, but:

What exactly is the relationship between Ned and Syrio? How did Ned come to know about this Braavosi swordsman? Has Ned ever been across the Narrow Sea? Where did they meet? I dunno, it seems very random that this expert Braavosi swordsman would have this type of relationship with Ned.

Chapter and verse.

In addition to what was mentioned before there is also the fact that Loras went into a blood frenzy when he learned that Renly was dead. He killed sworn bannermen simply because they were there. This is, I believe, additional evidence that they were lovers.

Archived