A Thread for Small Questions III

Lady Blackfish

her interest was in the larger ships that plied the stormy waters of the narrow sea. Half a dozen were in port, though one, a galleas called the Titan*s Daughter, was casting off her lines to ride out on the evening tide.

So it should be late PM

While it is not completely impossible I think is highly unlikely that for the short period of time between the noon (Arya*s boarding) and early evening (Titan*s Daughter unmooring) we would have had five or six newly arrived large sea going vessels.

I think you've missed something. Arya boards the Titan's Daughter in Saltpans and Brienne sees it in Madenpool either days or months later depending on whether it's heading to Bravos - with Arya on board - or returning from Bravos - having dropped her off.

At the moment I appear to be alone in the heading to Bravos camp (as the timelines don't add up) and others seem to be in the returning from Bravos camp (which I would argue the timelines also don't add up as there isn't enough time for the ship to make the journey it has to).

They're only just getting around to burying the septon (surely the most important person to the faith and the first one who would be buried), and their is still the smell of smoke in the air.
Which can happen if the Septon died of his wounds over a time, and if fire lasted for days and it didn't rain or/and if the rape of Saltpans simply didn't happen that close to Arya leaving the town (I don't think there is a single evidence to how much time elapses between the two events). (or alternatively if there was several attacks by various bands) AFFC's timeline is totally borked, as evidenced by Sam time-traveling, but it can be justified this way, I think.

This may all be wishful thinking on my part as I would like to think Brienne at least came close to finding one of the Stark children.
She already did that: when she took Jaime from Harrenhal, she stopped at the kneeling man inn. Sucks to be her because mere hours later, Arya passed by.

ETA: But, anyway, this goes beyond "small questions", I think a mod could even relocate our posts in the closest timeline thread.

Which can happen if the Septon died of his wounds over a time, and if fire lasted for days and it didn't rain or/and if the rape of Saltpans simply didn't happen that close to Arya leaving the town (I don't think there is a single evidence to how much time elapses between the two events). (or alternatively if there was several attacks by various bands) AFFC's timeline is totally borked, as evidenced by Sam time-traveling, but it can be justified this way, I think.

After a re-re-read Of Brienne VI/VII I think I might have been reading it as a closer thing than it was. I had taken the raid as happening almost immediately after Arya's ship left and I had confused Brother Clement with the septon of Saltpans. It's also mentioned that Brother Clement died of his wounds taken at Saltpans so may have been after some time. I'm also not sure about the time to get to Bravos and back. I suppose it can't be that long since Myrcella uses it as a stage in her journey to Dorne. Also crossing the Trident from Harrenhal to Saltpans must be pretty close to the raid in Brienne III.

She already did that: when she took Jaime from Harrenhal, she stopped at the kneeling man inn. Sucks to be her because mere hours later, Arya passed by.

I missed that one :) I'm always confused about which inn is which.

I missed that one :) I'm always confused about which inn is which.
Well, that one is pretty easy: that's the only one near a river with Brienne's boat in view, no horses to be seen though manure is there, and outlaws bickering that the three guys they sold the horse to didn't go the way they should have (sucks*2 for Brienne since they would have been feathered by Anguy, but they would have met Arya on the road, if she and Jaime had not decided to take the other road)

I think you've missed something. Arya boards the Titan's Daughter in Saltpans and Brienne sees it in Madenpool

You*re right - my bad. :)

I also think it would be better if all related posts are moved to a sepatate thread.

So who is the Lord Paramount for the Stormlands now? In AFfC we only hear about them in regards to the siege of Storm's End, but has Tommen (Cersei and company) got around to putting anyone in Renly/Stannis' place or are they being ruled as an adjunct of the Crownlands? Is the southern peninsula (Cape Wrath & Rainwood) still held by Stannis?

1. What plan did Arianna have exactly about crowning Mycrella as queen? Wouldn't Arianne need everyone in Dorne supporting her? And I don't think Mycrella would have wanted to wage a war against her own mother and brother....I'm just wondering how crowning Mycrella was supposed to work out? This confuses me a little.

2. Whatever happened with Robb's legitimization (sp?) of naming Jon Snow as heir to Winterfell? Someone lose that letter in the mail or what?

1. Arianne's plan (in fact it was her cousin Tyene's plan) was to force the Iron Throne to declare war against Dorne. As Tyene's says "Dornishmen fight best at home". The Darkstar suggests that if they just murder Myrcella they might get the same results, but Arianne refuses to kill children.

The idea is that they are calling for blood to avenge the Red Viper, but they rightly feel that they'll have more chances defending the passes than in an open field. It might be not the best of the plans, but it's still better than Obara's notion of sacking Oldtown.

2. Most people that were in the meeting where Robb's lords signed a document where Jon was declared his heir are dead (this was right before the Red Wedding).

Among the people who knows and remains alive there are the Jason Mallister (under siege in Seagard), the Greatjon (prisoner at the Twins) and Maege Mormont and Galbart Glover (who should be among the crannogmen now).

The Greatjon is not likely to be released and Lord Jason has just surrendered his castle to Black Walder, but Maege and Galbart might have a role to play in Dance of Dragons (or later)...

2. Most people that were in the meeting where Robb's lords signed a document where Jon was declared his heir are dead (this was right before the Red Wedding).

In fact there are still some hot discussions (in other threads) if Robb eventually declared exactrly Jon as his hier but it is not a small question anyway . . .

It is not clear also if Brynden knows about Robb*s (last) decree.

I was thinking:

Are Starks cursed somewhat?

Bran in second book think that Lady, Eddard, lots of guard, Lyanna, uncle Brandon, and grandfather Rickard went on south and never come back. Well, Robb would never go back, Arya suffered blindness and its seems that she don't want to go back and Sansa's fate is uncertain. And someone in small council said that Starks melted whatever they go under Neck.

Well, they live in Westeros during wartime. That in and of itself casts a shadow over their chances of survival. Arguably they're experiencing the same amount of luck as the vast majority of the smallfolk. The fact that they're main characters also helps guarantee that dramatic events will happen to them.

If I may:

1 - Who the heck was the Coldhanded santa claus - the one who could'nt pass the Wall, and took Bran'n'Hodor into the tournee round the Northlands?

2 - Why everywhere i look, ppl claim that Sandor is alive. My last re-read of Asoiaf was about month ago - and I'm nearly sure that he bites the dust. Am i wrong?

- No one can say for a certainty who cold hands is.

- It's believed that Sandor is alive and with the faith. His size matches the size of the gravedigger at the Sept and the gravedigger is also noted to be very close to Sandor's horse and the horse doesn't seem to mind him. It's mentioned previously that the horse would freak out if anyone but Sandor got near it.

Or something close to that.

Not to mention the Gravedigger's limp (consistent with Sandor's supposedly mortal wound) and the big ridiculous red flag that he stops to to pat Dog on the head. Oh, and the guy in charge they went there to speak to (been a while since I read this chapter) who treated Sandor's wounds says several times something like "The Hound is dead" but when referring to Sandor will say "he is at peace". It's just more name/nickname distinguishing fun just like the differences between Petyr Baelish and Littlefinger in Sansa/Alayne's chapters.

Not to mention the Gravedigger's limp (consistent with Sandor's supposedly mortal wound) and the big ridiculous red flag that he stops to to pat Dog on the head. Oh, and the guy in charge they went there to speak to (been a while since I read this chapter) who treated Sandor's wounds says several times something like "The Hound is dead" but when referring to Sandor will say "he is at peace". It's just more name/nickname distinguishing fun just like the differences between Petyr Baelish and Littlefinger in Sansa/Alayne's chapters.

I just read the chapter, and you are not far wrong, ser. The Maid of Tarth says, "So Sandor Clegane is dead," to which Elder Brother replies, "He is at rest." This statement obviously is a feint by EB. He is trying to subtly infer that the enraged, bitter Hound persona is buried, while the man Sandor Clegane is alive. One has to take into account that before EB makes this statement, he tells Brienne several leading quotes like "The Hound died there, in my arms," and "I came upon him by the Trident...He begged me for the gift of mercy, but I am sworn not to kill again.". Sandor lives, and unGregor will not after they meet, if there is any justice.

I just read the chapter, and you are not far wrong, ser. The Maid of Tarth says, "So Sandor Clegane is dead," to which Elder Brother replies, "He is at rest." This statement obviously is a feint by EB. He is trying to subtly infer that the enraged, bitter Hound persona is buried, while the man Sandor Clegane is alive. One has to take into account that before EB makes this statement, he tells Brienne several leading quotes like "The Hound died there, in my arms," and "I came upon him by the Trident...He begged me for the gift of mercy, but I am sworn not to kill again.". Sandor lives, and unGregor will not after they meet, if there is any justice.

I recently re-read this section keeping an eye out for the reference to Sandor. There do appear to be a number of teasers about whether Sandor's alive but I'd be disappointed with the chapter if it turns out that he is the large gravedigger. I just couldn't believe anyone would be able to see Sandor and not recognise him because of his scars. I was expecting some throwaway reference to the gravedigger wearing a headscarf thing like the first two Brienne meets but it never came.

Archived