Aenar Targaryen

Evrach

Hey guys, some info disturb me in Aegon I Targaryen's article.

The sentence « According to tradition, Aenar Targaryen was Aegon's father and Orys Baratheon may have been his bastard brother. ». There are no source for where this "according tradition" come from, and the only "Aenar Targaryen" we found in the books is an Aenar Targaryen who lived before Valyria's Doom and whose virgin daughter wrote prophecies (ref : AFFC - the daughter of the Kraken).

Is it a mistake or have I miss another Aenar ?

Guest Other-in-Law

"According to tradition"? Given that the single mention of Aenar states that his daughter lived "a thousand years before the Doom" one wonders what this tradition is...Wiki editors not paying any attention and making stuff up?

Guest Other-in-Law

Only part of them :rolleyes: ;)

Quite right. Kudos for the eagle eyed catch, Evrach. I'm still amazed at the misinformation about Mellario of Norvos's "beautiful black skin". Though to be fair, this was probably a more understandable error; someone may have looked at a geneology chart and seen a broken line between Aenar and Aegon and not realised that it represented more than a millennium.

I think I copied the reference to Aenar from another site. Don't remember which, it was some years ago.

I saw other sites (Asshai, Tower of the Hand) still name Aegon as Aenar's descendent. What RS says is true; there is no reference of this in the books but I wonder if GRRM has ever said something about a direct lineage.

He has not, to my knowledge. I've seen the Targaryen family tree, and GRRM presently doesn't show anything the Targaryen lineage beyond Aegon the Conqueror.

He has not, to my knowledge. I've seen the Targaryen family tree, and GRRM presently doesn't show anything the Targaryen lineage beyond Aegon the Conqueror.

:drool: The Tree... the tree...

Archived