Westeros Blog: Parts both Big and Small

George R.R. Martin mentions that he’s come back from a convention to some hundred new auditions tapes. He notes some of the roles actors are seeking in the tapes: Rast (one of the recruits on the Wall), Mord (brutish jailer at the Eyrie), Jhogo (one of the Dothraki warriors assigned as personal guard to Daenerys) are among the smaller parts, while Lord Tywin Lannister, Ser Barristan Selmy, and Lysa Arryn are among the larger parts.

We expect that the first casting announcements are likely to come by the end of the month, or early next month, with production set to begin in earnest right around the end of June or start of July.

Visit the Site!

I think GRRM is just reluctant to mention the recasting specifically, until it becomes "official." I know Mo Ryan confirmed it with HBO, but I'm not sure GRRM knows that. Or even if he does, he might just want to play it safe and remain mum until the recasting is announced.

GRRM said in the comments on Not a Blog that filming is being pushed back to late July:

"Also, FWIW, I am now informed that the start of principle photography has been pushed back to late July."

No surprises, really. As everyone might recall, shooting of the Pilot also was pushed back about two weeks to allow more time for pre-production to be completed.

Archived