Emilia Clarke is Daenerys

Vacuum

And yes im aware thats how acting goes probably in 90% of cases like you mentioned and tell you what?

Ive seen a shit load of poor acting because of it.

You may no longer be talking about this for i'm not sure what any of that has to do with reading the book?

An actor may read his/her script, think seriously about the role, discuss it with the director/writers etc. Or an actor may read the script and book, learn the lines, consider themselves prepared and don't worry about the role anymore.

I'm not going to say what option is good or what is bad but I find it puzzling that anyone would suggest that reading the books is the only positive choice.

Agreed with Alexia. So much of what we know about characters in the novels comes from their internal thoughts - really, many of the very best lines, even - that they will have to find ways to show us these things on screen in new ways, because it's simply not the same medium as the book. While you can have voice over narration of a character's internal thoughts in a scene, this usually tends to not work too well (see David Lynch's "Dune" to see how it can fail). It's much better to find a way to either get these ideas into dialogue, or even better via a character's actions on screen.

Bluntly put, there are reasons that they "invent" scenes or delete events, and yes, they are doing the same for AGOT. Things don't translate properly from book to film all the time. And they don't have the liberty of having the characters explain everything to you the way they do in books.

Examples: some scene I saw referenced where Jaime muttered that killing Aerys was his finest act after Ned insulted him, and we get to meet Tyrion in a whorehouse.

Part of the fun of an adaptation is seeing what's done differently. And I think Lord of the Rings is probably the best fantasy movie made to-date.

^ This. No fan should ever expect a direct translation from book to film. Certain liberties need to be given to the director/editor, not just because of dialogue/internal thoughts, but there are often pacing problems that need to be readjusted for the screen. What works in novels doesn't always translate to film. As long as the essence of the characters remain the same, I personally have no problem with whatever scenes the screenwriters/editors decide to invent or remove.

Oh, you are one of those people. No offense, but I have to say that I'm glad this show is in the hands of experienced writers, producers and directors, and not overzealous fans.

Oh you are one of those "overzelous movie fans" people that get so blinded by pretty pictures and effects that you can see obvious faults, mistakes and inability to translate the book into a movie besides its superficial layer.

Bluntly put, there are reasons that they "invent" scenes or delete events, and yes, they are doing the same for AGOT. Things don't translate properly from book to film all the time. And they don't have the liberty of having the characters explain everything to you the way they do in books.

Examples: some scene I saw referenced where Jaime muttered that killing Aerys was his finest act after Ned insulted him, and we get to meet Tyrion in a whorehouse.

Part of the fun of an adaptation is seeing what's done differently. And I think Lord of the Rings is probably the best fantasy movie made to-date.

Bluntly put, very often there are no "reasons" why something is changed except the desire of director to show everyone its "his work" despite the glaringly obvious fact it isnt.

And when there is a reason its most often just laughable.

Even more so in many cases these changes are not even done in a way that follows the original idea or the story in any way but are just random changes of inferior quality a five year old could have thought up.

If you think Lord of the rings is best fantasy movie ever done then you obviously lack knowledge about the books, ability to think rationally or critically about the subject and you are basically juts one of the aimed mass market masses who just gobble everything up because its on screen and it looks pretty.

Naturally, in case of Songs and Lord of the Rings - because of their scope and huge amounts of detail some things have to be left out in order to make a movie of few hours or tv series of specific length.

However, and this is apparently too hard to grasp for some, not every change is automatically good and not every invented scene replacement is automatically right and excused.

If you think Lord of the rings is best fantasy movie ever done then you obviously lack knowledge about the books, ability to think rationally or critically about the subject and you are basically juts one of the aimed mass market masses who just gobble everything up because its on screen and it looks pretty.

Name one fantasy movie which is, according to you, better than LotR.

<mod gloves>

Back on topic, please. If you want to discuss book-to-film adaptations, start a new thread in the Entertainment forum or resurrect an old one.

</mod gloves>

I think her headshots are very pretty. At first she seemed way out of left field, being a complete unknown and naturally dark, especially when I have forever been obsessed with Gemma Ward. But I think she'll be great :) Unfortunately, with many of the other actors, we have seem them in period pieces before and have a better idea of how they will fill their role. With Emilia, we have some pretty b/w headshots and a few videos of her in no makeup while wearing a hooded sweatshirt and crying. I can see why it may be difficult for some to picture her as Dany. I for one am immediately smitten :) I can't wait to see her in costume

I think her headshots are very pretty. At first she seemed way out of left field, being a complete unknown and naturally dark, especially when I have forever been obsessed with Gemma Ward. But I think she'll be great :) Unfortunately, with many of the other actors, we have seem them in period pieces before and have a better idea of how they will fill their role. With Emilia, we have some pretty b/w headshots and a few videos of her in no makeup while wearing a hooded sweatshirt and crying. I can see why it may be difficult for some to picture her as Dany. I for one am immediately smitten :) I can't wait to see her in costume

:thumbsup: Me too

Though seeing her cry helps me picture her better as Dany.

I didnt say it the only choice - i said i think it would lead to a better performance in my opinion.

Depends 100% on the actor. Some actors (Julianne Moore has been mentioned) like to learn their parts in isolation from the story as a whole.

So for a few actors reading the books would be somewhat distracting and lead to a worse performance.

I think she has a great potential to be Daenerys but i consider crying to be the least important thing about that role.

Okkaaaayyyyyyy....instead of just bluntly having a go at my observation of her as Dany, why don't you elaborate and say what you consider to be the most defining feature you think she has that will help her pull of the character?

Shit mate all I said was seeing her crying helps ME picture her as Dany, I can see she has some emotion, some amount of fragility. I think her eyes are a bit piercing and tear filled they really stare through me. It's just a commercial but it makes me sympathetic. Then she takes the step and makes the phone call and takes control.

So for a few actors reading the books would be somewhat distracting and lead to a worse performance.

thats a rather intelligent thing to say.

Okkaaaayyyyyyy....instead of just bluntly having a go at my observation of her as Dany, why don't you elaborate and say what you consider to be the most defining feature you think she has that will help her pull of the character?

have no idea. dont know her.

Shit mate all I said was seeing her crying helps ME picture her as Dany,

no worries?

thats a rather intelligent thing to say.

quote name='OldLordPlumm' date='09 June 2010 - 12:16 AM' timestamp='1276035388' post='2158799']

have no idea. dont know her.

no worries?

link

She's read the books and it sounds like she's a big fan! Argument over, yes? :D

There was no argument.

I was right and "they" were wrong. As usual. :D

- thanks for the link.

btw she looks rather different in that pic next to that bit of news.

Very, very hgood. Im pleased. Carry on.

Archived