Positive comments on the pilot

Intriguing.

The Chicago Tribune's Maureen Ryan is reporting that British actress Emilia Clarke (Doctors) has stepped into the role of Daenerys on HBO's upcoming fantastic series Game of Thrones, replacing Tamzin Merchant, who left the project. Production will begin in July with reshoots scheduled for the pilot episode, which featured several actors who have since left the project, including Merchant and Jennifer Ehle. [Editor: I watched the original Game of Thrones pilot last week and was blown away. HBO has knocked it out of the park with this one.]

Who watched the pilot, Maureen Ryan or the editor of Televisonary? Bugger, how did anyone get to see the pilot? Do all the critics get to see beforehand to create buzz? I know this is the case for film, but didn't know HBO would send out the pilot for advance viewing so soon.

Also, saying several people dropped out just means Ehle and Merchant correct? We don't have other actors dropping out do we?

Who watched the pilot, Maureen Ryan or the editor of Televisonary? Bugger, how did anyone get to see the pilot? Do all the critics get to see beforehand to create buzz? I know this is the case for film, but didn't know HBO would send out the pilot for advance viewing so soon.

Also, saying several people dropped out just means Ehle and Merchant correct? We don't have other actors dropping out do we?

The editor of Televisionary. Mo certainly hasn't seen the pilot AFAIK. And only Ehle and Merchant are out amongst the prominent actors, but it's possible that some of the 'extra' actors, like Myrcella, Tommen and Rickon, are being replaced as well.

As for how the editor of Televisionary got to see it, he may have friends who work at HBO or may have been owed a favour by HBO or something. He may know the Conan makers and tagged along when they got to see it when they were casting Momoa. Lots of possibilities.

I queried Televisionary and he explained he wrote that bit about "several actors" quite late at night, and it was an error; he meant to refer just to Ehle and Merchant, who are the only leads who have moved on from the project so far as he's aware.

The editor of Televisionary. Mo certainly hasn't seen the pilot AFAIK.

As for how the editor of Televisionary got to see it, he may have friends who work at HBO or may have been owed a favour by HBO or something. He may know the Conan makers and tagged along when they got to see it when they were casting Momoa. Lots of possibilities.

Hhhmm... Its not that I question whether this person actually saw the pilot (ok, I am questioning it), but wouldn't HBO want them to keep it under wraps that they did see it? Seems a tad fishy to me that this person was owed a favor or somehow saw the pilot, HBO is notoriously tight with pilots.

He may have gotten a look at it in a way that HBO would prefer him not to have done. That's the business. Televisionary is a pretty big TV site, and he gets exclusives the same way that the print journalists to, so I fully believe him that he saw it, and that he's not concerned about revealing that he saw it for whatever reason -- HBO isn't going to cut him off over this.

Plus, he didn't give a lot of (or any) details except to say that it was really good, and it's not like HBO can really complain about a reviewer saying they hit it out of the park. ;)

Archived