What Legends of Westeros do you want to know more about?

• 1 month later...

The wars of the First Men with the Children of the Forest.

The wars of the Andals with the First Men.

Second, third and fourth! I would really like to learn more about the history and culture of the First Men. We know they lived in barrows and used iron weapons, but where in Essos did they come from? At what point did the Broken Arm get broke? Were the children of the forest in Dorne? Wouldn't strike me that there'd be much forest there. That earliest history of Westeros and the first men would be extremely interesting.

Sounds like everyone's mentioned everything i'd like to know about. However, what about that Horn of Joramun? I'm pretty sure Sam's got it for the moment. Why was Mance Rayder so sure that it would bring the Wall down? Had it ever before? (I don't remember reading any mention of its use) No worries, GRRM's probably's got a whole legend ready to go.

the age of heroes

the long night

founding of the night's watch and the construction of the wall

the doom of valyria

hardhome

field of fire (i think that was what it was called) where aegon the conqueror and his sisters unleashed all 3 of their dragons at once. supposedly the only time that was ever done.

nymeria's arrival and the burning of her ships

the night king

the rat cook

oh, hell

all of old nan's stories

I would love it if there was a Silmarillion type book put out after ASOIAF is finished. We could get at ton of backstory about the Age of Heroes and the origin stories for all the powerful houses.

Hearing more about the Doom and the FM's role (or lack thereof) in making it happen would interesting. We might even get this story given the Kindly Old Man's efforts to educate Arya about the FM

Something that the story is missing now is more legends about what the Others are. We know they are a distinct race of beings (like the Children) but there is zero out there about their motives and any culture they may have.

I would love it if there was a Silmarillion type book put out after ASOIAF is finished. We could get at ton of backstory about the Age of Heroes and the origin stories for all the powerful houses.

Hearing more about the Doom and the FM's role (or lack thereof) in making it happen would interesting. We might even get this story given the Kindly Old Man's efforts to educate Arya about the FM

Something that the story is missing now is more legends about what the Others are. We know they are a distinct race of beings (like the Children) but there is zero out there about their motives and any culture they may have.

I don't like to compare the Others with the Children, but I think its easy to compare them with Dragons. The Others are a personification of darkness/cold, while dragons come from light/fire.

If Melisandre's faith is right, dragons probably were created by R'hllor, and the Others are the children of the Great Other, and his servants.

But I don't think Melisandre's teachings represent a correct account of GRRM's world creation and functioning. Maybe there are no R'hllor and no Great Other, but just non-sentient supernatural forces: darkness/ice (entropy) and light/fire (creation- destruction), that generated the Others and the Dragons. Maybe the whole universe where Westero's planet is situated exists because those two forces are in constant conflict.

The Children of the Forest apparently serve no one, but I understand them as harbingers of balance and natural order.

I don't think this interpretation is the right one, and I do not hope to have the right answers in the near future, but who knows.

The Doom, Lann the Trickster sounds like an interesting story and maybe some tales of older Kingsguard members culled from the book Jaime is updating. Like another poster said, Arthur Dane has been built up as a truly fearsome warrior as well as the idyllic knight but we don't hear many of his deeds especially not in full. Basically we get people like Ned who say he was the best swordsman around and that Arthur would have killed Ned if not for Reed. Or you get Jaime and his claims about Arthur's greatness. Jaime should have a lot to say about the man, wasn't he his squire?

Not really a legend, but I am curious about who Brandon, Ned, Lyanna, and Benjens Mother was?

When I looked at their family tree, I don't think I saw what family she came from.

If she wasn't from one of the Noble Houses of Westeros, or the Free Cities, then who was she?

A lot of the like tales/popular literature details appeal to me because I like folklore and medieval literature. So for instance:

Lann the Clever, who makes me think of Loki

Spotted Pate and his amazing luck (I don't know if it's a deliberate joke or not, but all of the Pates described in the novels seem to be rather unlucky)

Florian and Jonquil. Can't quite say why, but I sort of figured this was the Westeros version of Aucassin and Nicolette.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived