Westeros Blog: First Outside Word on the Pilot

Jace Lacob of Televisionary is the first person we’ve seen outside of the production who’s seen the whole of the pilot, and probably one of the last who shall do so in that form as a number of scenes will be reshot to accomadate the new actresses in leading roles, Michaelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark and Emilie Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen.

What’d he think? “I was blown away,” he writes, and has been effusive in his praise for the pilot as being one the strongest pilots he’s seen in the current pilot cycle. Over at Twitter, I decided to ask if he had read the series before, as a number of supportive critics have done. He replied that he had not read the books, wanting to go in fresh, though he had read the pilot script earlier and also loved it. He’s looking forward to seeing how the reshot pilot will look.

The fact that he went in fairly “cold” to the series is a great sign—Lacob probably fairly well represents where your average HBO viewer will be when confronted with this new HBO series. If it works for him, as well as for the producers and executives, then it seems to stand fare odds of working for the general subscriber base.

Visit the Site!

It isn't clear what will need to be reshot. The Prologue, I can pretty safely say won't be reshot. Also, probably not the crypt scene, and the Jon/Tyrion scene, too. But depending on how well they can fit the rest of the scenes together that don't involve Cate or Dany with what has been shot will determine what they need to redo. Cate's in most scenes in Winterfell, or she interacts with the children who might have grown up a bit and will not match themselves from what they shot 8 months ago.

Archived