White-Luck Warrior

Calibandar

Amazon.com is now listing the US edition of TWLW. The publishing date is March 31, 2011.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Luck-Warrior-Aspect-Emperor/dp/1590204646/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277664743&sr=1-2

From Bakker's blog:

Interesting -- 416 pages, according to amazon, while at the co.uk listing it is 592. In an interview RSB stated that The Judging Eye would be the shortest and the third the longest, with TWLW somewhere between the two. I hope that latter number is more accurate, myself, though in the end it's the quality, not the quantity...

I'm curious as to the role the White-Luck warrior will play, but I think speculation is quite pointless as we have no idea how the White-Luck will act or what powers he has. I doubt he's a sorcerer in the traditional sense, but I'm sure he will speak with the voice of the Gods, only more subtly, and quite possibly far more powerfully.

I think an interesting twist, but probably not one which will impede Kellhus greatly until after he reaches the Ark. Maybe be a pain in the ass for Esme though.

This is all idle speculation though - although the PoN series was brutally predictable because of it's First Crusade parallel, no such parallel exists here and thus I have no clue what will happen next, but I'm sure it will be awesome.

Scot's blog is interesting, but a perfect example of why I'm not going to become a philosopher.

I always felt that the Great Ordeal = more or less Nappy's (or Hitler's, maybe) invasion of Russia.

Several people have said this. If this is the case, shouldn't there have been a battle by now? It seems like an entire book with no resistance whatsoever is not a very accurate historical allegory of any invasion of Russia that I'm aware of. I know it is nothing like Hitler's invasion in WWII or the German invasion in WWI. My knowledge of the Napoleonic wars is much worse, but I remember seeing a graphic of the size of Napoleon's army as it marched through Russia, and it was getting smaller throughout. Thus far the Great Ordeal has fought only shadows and its own imagination.

I'm not dismissing the possibility of some similarities between the two, but they seem far thinner than the First Crusade parallels which were evident (and predictive) very early on.

I kinda figured it was closer to either Alexander's invasion of India or Napoleon's march. But neither is likely close to the truth in terms of analogies, since I still think it's destined (and designed) to fail. Given Bakker's desire to rewrite LotR, it probably is closest to the distraction of Sauron and the joint invasion of Mordor.

As to what the WLW is going to be and do, I don't think it's going to exactly be sorcery (as the godlike powers haven't been); the description is that things are going to start going bad in small manners and ways. I figure you'll see classic plagues, revolts, purposeful misunderstandings and divisions. And I figure that Esmi is being used as the stalking horse here as well, so we'll get to find out what he's all about soon enough.

Well, the American cover-art doesn't make me think "subtle manipulation" it makes me think "godly rage personified"

I will however, admit that cover-art doesn't exactly imply anything about a book.

And I agree with you - it seems like a LotR parallel.

Well, the American cover-art doesn't make me think "subtle manipulation" it makes me think "godly rage personified"

Conisdering what we know about WLW this is most likely what it is supposed to be.

I think parallels with Napoleon's great army are quite close and I fully expect to see a Borodino equivalent in WLW.

• 2 weeks later...

The Unholy Consult? And all this time I was thinking the Consult was composed of saints. I'm guessing they reach Golgotterath and find that the place is like almost as metal as Mordhaus.

That's a pretty shitty name, actually. Judging Eye was interesting, White-Luck-Warrior was specific, but this is both specific and redundant.

Guess we know when the big conflict with the Great Ordeal is coming.

Yeah, I'm sure he could've came up with better than that. Quite redundant. Seems like no one wants to point that out on his blog, either. Big surprise. Oh well, I have things to be doing...don't want to go getting in an argument with Scott.

Yeah, I'm sure he could've came up with better than that. Quite redundant. Seems like no one wants to point that out on his blog, either. Big surprise. Oh well, I have things to be doing...don't want to go getting in an argument with Scott.

Hey, I pointed it out. I think The Horns of Golgotterah would be a much cooler title.

If you think the title sucks, go and say it to him. Don't blame him or an imaginary collective of fanboy consciousness for something you don't want to do yourself.

I gotta say that I disagree. I don't like extremely weird fantasy-esque titles and covers, so I'd prefer Unholy Consult. Not that it would be totally unweird and un-fantasy-esque, just better than your alternative, imho.

I think The Horns of Golgotterath is a stronger title, but I agree that it's a bit too fantasy-esque. However, it'd also only be a real problem (putting off newcomers due to the fantasy-esque title) if this was Book 1. As Book 5 in the series, and by this time everyone who's read the previous books knows what Golgotterath is, I think it works well enough.

Didn't Scott originally consider titling The Thousandfold Thought something along the line of When Sorcerers Sing? In the next 2 or so years, it might very well change.

Yes he did.

The Three Seas board made sure he knew how stupid that sounded.

When Sorcerers Sing is a pretty amusing title. Perhaps he'll reuse it for a short or something. Hm, involving Akka and that mysterious boy he had a thing with in his early days? Haha, I think not.

Archived