White-Luck Warrior

Calibandar

someone needs to tell scott he needs to hasten the singularity he keeps talking about by making the book available for download so we can get our fix instead of waiting ages for the analog dead tree edition. ;)

Horns of Golgotterath isn't likely to fly as a title, Publisher's HATE made up words to be used as titles.

I like The Unholy Consult as a title. As I mentioned on Scott's blog, it has nicely ominous sound. The Horns of Golgotterath sounds really lame, IMHO, and is likely to put off new readers. Surely when you think of starting the new series, it isn't only title of the first installment you notice?

Not sure how the title of the third book in the second arc of a three-part series will somehow affect new readers.

I'm not a big fan of "The Horns of Golgotterath" either, but it still sounds better than "The Unholy Consult."

Horns of Golgotterath isn't likely to fly as a title, Publisher's HATE made up words to be used as titles.

You mean like 'hobbit' and 'silmarillion', because they did so badly? ;)

"The Horns of Golgotterath" sounds like one of those books that are regularly parodied in the snark threads over here.

Exactly. For those who don't know Golgotterath is a place, not a mighty barbarian warrior, image evoked by this title is likely to be be very different from intended, IMHO.

Maybe they've been the good guys all along and the title is self-mockery? :P

In that case "unholy" would still be appropriate since the Consult opposes the side that has defined itself as holy.

Though, given their previous development, the best the Consult can strive for is the position of a lesser evil unless it somehow manages to do a surprise 180-degree turn in its collective mindset.

I've been postulating that the new duology will be called The Anti-God. The prince -> emperor -> god progression is easy to predict due to a lack of fitting alternatives. The other progression is nothing -> aspect -> ???. Obviously we are looking for some way of expressing totality. Of the possible alternatives, my by far biggest favorite is "anti", a word that not only means the opposite of the noun it modifies, but also replacement. Think "antipope". Bakker would have been aware of this kind of thing.

Also, I think The Anti-God would qualify as a spoiler to the direction the story is heading.

My personal theory is that reality in Earwa is truly subjective, and the Yatwerian belief that Kellhus is a demon will catch on, causing him to actually become a demon (similar to how some believe that his conquest of the Three Seas caused him to retroactively become part of the god). And then the next series will be called The Demon King or something like that.

I've thought about "Unholy Consult" more. The problem I have with it, is that the Consult appears to be damned because of WHAT they are, as opposed to WHO they are. Their nature as sorcerers, space-aliens, and abominations damns them, not the fact that they're named the Consult. The Consult is an organization of damned figures, but it (the organization) isn't damned by either Tuskism or Inrithism cosmology. The Tusk seemed more interested in not suffering a witch to live, and murdering the false men. The No-God doesn't figure into either religion's cosmology. The Gods are blind to him.

Maybe Kellhus has decreed a new cosmological order, wherein the No-God's slaves are damned by association and not by their natures, but it didn't seem that way in The Judging Eye. The Great Ordeal, in the view of the Gods, is a political event, not a religious one. Kellhus can tell people that Inchoroi are demons, but they aren't. The No-God is not the Ahriman to the God's Ahura Mazda. The Consult isn't really Unholy.

I've been postulating that the new duology will be called The Anti-God. The prince -> emperor -> god progression is easy to predict due to a lack of fitting alternatives. The other progression is nothing -> aspect -> ???. Obviously we are looking for some way of expressing totality. Of the possible alternatives, my by far biggest favorite is "anti", a word that not only means the opposite of the noun it modifies, but also replacement. Think "antipope". Bakker would have been aware of this kind of thing.

Also, I think The Anti-God would qualify as a spoiler to the direction the story is heading.

If this is the route that he goes (and TBH it wouldn't be a bad one, in my book), it's interesting to parallel that with Conphas, who basically saw himself in that same light.

When RSB mentioned the Singularity on his blog, it made me wonder if Kellhus would cause some sort of fantasy version of that. I don't know how Kellhus would do that but the connection the Dunyain posited between the soul and intelligence might give Kellhus some idea where to begin.

He could trigger the Third Impact and gather all the souls in to one giant, pacified blob--no more wars and no more peace, along with the loss of individuality and will. >_>

The day that Akka pilots an Evangelion is the day that I hunt Bakker down and make him pay for his crimes.

Archived