"Game of Thrones" preview airing before True Blood (CONFIRMED)

Brude

Ran, you mention in your breakdown that one of the naked women in the trailer is Ros. Just curious, how can you tell? It's hard to know just from their backs. Were you able to verify that with Esme?

I would have been much, much happier if the trailer had included at least one female who wasn't naked. I suppose they didn't have much to work with, as they're recasting two of the female leads, but still.

That's actually a very good point. "True Blood" has a HUGE female viewership and it probably would have done HBO some good to promote the show towards a female audience, too, by at least showing a shot or two of Lena in her full queenly dress and maybe also the Stark girls. Hint to the audience that it's not just a big, boy-oriented actioner but also contains many significant and well drawn female characters and can even be seen as something of a costume drama and a romance. The books have all of that and a few images before the premier of something like True Blood would have been a perfect place to start building that kind of buzz.

That's actually a very good point. "True Blood" has a HUGE female viewership and it probably would have done HBO some good to promote the show towards a female audience, too, by at least showing a shot or two of Lena in her full queenly dress and maybe also the Stark girls. Hint to the audience that it's not just a big, boy-oriented actioner but also contains many significant and well drawn female characters and can even be seen as something of a costume drama and a romance.

I agree with this; I really liked seeing the clip (although everything flashed by too fast for me to see; finally got it through the stills posted here) but I would really have liked to have seen the Stark girls in particular. Dany and Catelyn too but since they are recasting those roles I understood why they didn't show up.

*shrugs* I'm not worried. There'll be several more, all with a different focus. One will target female audiences of course.

In fairness, in this one, you barely saw any figures at all. Who would have spotted the 3 chicks without screenshots? Not me! I barely glimpsed Ned!

This one had one purpose only - to tease a new show that was dramatic and atmospheric and full of foreboding. And it worked at that, I think.

The ones to come, as I said, will show other flavours of the series.

Have not verified with Esme, but one of the women seems suspiciously red-haired, and we know she did in fact shoot a scene. Can't really see who else it could be, all considered. But, you know, good idea -- I'll ask her. :)

Have they made Jamie Campbell Bower's teeth a bit more crooked there? I thought they'd have him as more of a pretty-boy than that. I LOVE the look of horror on his face though, best shot of the trailer for me.

Yes. Definitely Bean. Now i'm wondering what he is laughing at. :)

I think they may have pulled the laugh from some moment between him and Robert. Robert is the only one who seems to ever lighten his mood, near as I can recall. In the leaked script there's even a moment where Robert makes him laugh.

I think they may have pulled the laugh from some moment between him and Robert. Robert is the only one who seems to ever lighten his mood, near as I can recall. In the leaked script there's even a moment where Robert makes him laugh.

Ah yes, that makes sense now. Ned is stoic guy. But Robert does bring out a lighter side to him.

I was slightly disheartened when I heard the laugh. I don't know why it's important to me that Ned be depicted as hard and closed. Since it isn't really how he was at all times.

Anyway you've given me hope.

I was slightly disheartened when I heard the laugh. I don't know why it's important to me that Ned be depicted as hard and closed. Since it isn't really how he was at all times.

It didn't sound the most happy of laughs though. :) I'm pretty sure he will be depicted as hard and closed. But Robert does like him for a reason.

Indeed. If it's Ned laughing, I think the quality of it suggests that it's a somewhat stiff or unwilling laughter -- he's thinking of all these other things (Jon Arryn's death, Robert's dissolution, the Lannisters, etc.) at the same time, and can't quite give himself up to it. Which is, I think, just right.

Was wondering when teasers are likely to go out in the UK, and also whether they will be the same as HBO's. Anyone know how it's worked with previous shows?

I doubt very much we will see anything at all in the UK aside from maybe a brief clip during a 'new television season' compilation the BBC might put together, probably after Christmas, then maybe a teaser along these lines a month before transmission, and finally a full trailer starting one week before transmission.

The BBC is pretty cack at building up excitement for shows before they air them :( That's even assuming the BBC is still involved, as I have heard nothing more about their involvement for some considerable time, and the BBC was recently cancelling projects all over the shop to save money.

Have they made Jamie Campbell Bower's teeth a bit more crooked there? I thought they'd have him as more of a pretty-boy than that. I LOVE the look of horror on his face though, best shot of the trailer for me.

That's Bronson Webb playing Will. There are no shots of JCB as Ser Waymar Royce.

Oddly, there's a shot of Richard Ridings as Gared though, and it looks like he's panicking as the Others show up. Yet in the books Gared isn't there when the Others show up (hence how he survives to flee all the way south).

That's even assuming the BBC is still involved, as I have heard nothing more about their involvement for some considerable time, and the BBC was recently cancelling projects all over the shop to save money.

Have to pull in some big stars for the World Cup coverage, man. :D

Quite liked seeing the 'trailer'. It succeeded in being exactly what it was: a tease.

Archived