"Game of Thrones" preview airing before True Blood (CONFIRMED)

Brude

My personal fangirl dream the moment I realized the series was actually going to be made would have been to see David Wenham as Ned and Sean Bean as (a cameo? who knows what's up with the character) Benjen, possibly because I never dreamed they could actually get Bean in the series. Also it's hard for me to imagine Bean getting duped as hard as Ned does :) But he looks so great in the teaser/promo shot.

But, seriously, could we get David Wenham in this show _somewhere_?

I always saw Bean as the Blackfish or maybe even the Onion knight. But Bean as Ned was good in that promo. It makes sense for a big name like him to be Ned. I'm liking it more and more and I know I would never be disappointed with his acting. He's going to be fabulous.

I could see Bean, with age makeup, as a Blackfish. Bean is too big and strong for what I always pictured Ned as. I pictured the Onion Knight as a small, lithe man as well.

I could see Bean, with age makeup, as a Blackfish. Bean is too big and strong for what I always pictured Ned as. I pictured the Onion Knight as a small, lithe man as well.

I did too, I must admit, but it stands to reason that a nobleman, with a healthy diet throughout his life and martial training from very early on at least can be somewhat muscular, at least generally speaking. There are exceptions, of course, like Genna Lannisters husband, whose first name excapes me at the moment. Tion Frey?

Bean is too big and strong for what I always pictured Ned as. I pictured the Onion Knight as a small, lithe man as well.

Sean is not a large guy at all. Some photos posted on the admirable "The Mighty Bean".

http://forum.themightybean.net/viewtopic.php?t=4515

They make Sean look larger for some of his films, like Boromir, Troy, and Black Death. But he's kind of a wiry guy. He's maybe 5'10" tall.

Some Sharpe photos from TMB.

http://forum.themightybean.net/viewtopic.php?t=4659

Also, Bean isn't particularly big or strong, really. He's of average height at 5'10" (and I believe I've read people say he's actually a bit shorter than his reported height).

Also, Bean isn't particularly big or strong, really. He's of average height at 5'10" (and I believe I've read people say he's actually a bit shorter than his reported height).

Yeah, I have no problem with Bean not being a big guy since I never imagined Ned as a particularly large fellow. We have enough huge characters to cast, the latest being the 6'10 actor who is to play Hodor...

Yeah, not sure how people could think Bean is too big to play Ned. He's always seemed about average-sized to me, which fits in with Ned. He would be exceedingly average were it not for his strict sense of honor and duty.

I guess it just goes to show how fickle fans of certain properties are. Sean Bean is a nerd's wet dream for this fantasy series, he's playing arguably the most important role of the first season. Yet some people are complaining? Huh?

I'm more concerned that the actress now playing Catelyn doesn't look the part at all. I mean, at all.

Yeah, not sure how people could think Bean is too big to play Ned. He's always seemed about average-sized to me, which fits in with Ned. He would be exceedingly average were it not for his strict sense of honor and duty.

I guess it just goes to show how fickle fans of certain properties are. Sean Bean is a nerd's wet dream for this fantasy series, he's playing arguably the most important role of the first season. Yet some people are complaining? Huh?

I'm more concerned that the actress now playing Catelyn doesn't look the part at all. I mean, at all.

Of course for myself I did not picture Eddard to look exactly like Sean Bean in my mind. But Sean Bean gets pretty damn close. And who can argue with an actor of that quality playing our dear Ned. He was my top choice to play Eddard and I joygasmed when I heard out they pulled him into the role.

Now I agree with you on the new actress playing Catelyn. She doesn't look the part to me. From what I pictured in my mind, or the books description. Or the age I remember her to be. Fairly looks to plain and aged to me. http://serialetari.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Michelle_Fairley.jpg

Than again. I shouldn't mind so much. Seeing her transition into UnCat will be easier. But I'm still mad in the circumstances she played in getting Robb murdered.

You guys really shouldn't base your opinion of Fairley's looks on pictures from a production where she was made to look plain and aged.

I'm sure once she is in full costume and make-up for the role of Catelyn, she will look fine.

You guys really shouldn't base your opinion of Fairley's looks on pictures from a production where she was made to look plain and aged.

I'm sure once she is in full costume and make-up for the role of Catelyn, she will look fine.

I have. Ive found photos of her when she was younger. And more recent. She still has a very homely look.

So our opinions should only be based on what they look like AFTER they have makeup on? IMHO I like to know how they look without it all first. I mean doesn't the book describe her as beautiful. Definatley more so than her sister.

I can't remember is she Cat middle aged? What age is she in the book?

I can't remember is she Cat middle aged? What age is she in the book?

I think she's 32 and Ned is 33 or 34. You think Sean Bean could pass for anywhere near early 30s (he is and looks over 50, btw)? Michelle Fairley looks to be an appropriate age to be Sean Bean's wife. I really don't understand how anyone could say that Fairley is too old to play Catelyn without an equivalent complaint against Bean.

And if you are judging the appropriateness for the roles based on what the actors look like without makeup, nobody fits. Sansa is blonde, Rory McCann is really cute, Tyrion is too handsome, Cersei has black hair, Emilia Clarke is a brunette, etc. I don't expect actors to look like fictional characters before they've been made up, myself. Else I'd be disappointed in every adaptation I've ever seen.

Beauty is not Catelyn's defining characteristic (that would be Chataya and Co.) and the actor is hardly unattractive anyway. She's actually quite elegant in the clips I saw of her online.

BTW, if you think those Ms. Universes/stunning beauties of the world (Aishwarya Rai, Kate Winslet, Salma Hayek, et al) look anything near so gorgeous without makeup you're going to be very disappointed.

I think she's 32 and Ned is 33 or 34. You think Sean Bean could pass for anywhere near early 30s (he is and looks over 50, btw)? Michelle Fairley looks to be an appropriate age to be Sean Bean's wife. I really don't understand how anyone could say that Fairley is too old to play Catelyn without an equivalent complaint against Bean.

And if you are judging the appropriateness for the roles based on what the actors look like without makeup, nobody fits. Sansa is blonde, Rory McCann is really cute, Tyrion is too handsome, Cersei has black hair, Emilia Clarke is a brunette, etc. I don't expect actors to look like fictional characters before they've been made up, myself. Else I'd be disappointed in every adaptation I've ever seen.

Beauty is not Catelyn's defining characteristic (that would be Chataya and Co.) and the actor is hardly unattractive anyway. She's actually quite elegant in the clips I saw of her online.

BTW, if you think those Ms. Universes/stunning beauties of the world (Aishwarya Rai, Kate Winslet, Salma Hayek, et al) look anything near so gorgeous without makeup you're going to be very disappointed.

I'm sorry you take me for being shallow, but I'm just being honest in my opinion. I understand fully what natural beauty is. Ehle is by far more attractive than Fairley. I didn't think Catelyn was wrinkly already as I keep seeing in fairley nowadays*smoking contribution maybe to early aging*. You can even see that. I also preferred Ehle's acting. I've viewed Fairleys acting in clips. I wasn't impressed. These are my opinions and impressions. I'm sure very few of us were thinking that someone with the beauty of a ms.universe for catelyn was needed. I think you may have some insecurities, as also to many people hate talking about how they pictured the character. Be honest with yourself for once. As I am. I prefered Ehle's looks. Simply that.

I had the same opinion of Tamzin. I didn't think she looked the part. And seeing her acting in Tudors, I was really put off that she could fullfill and pull off such a complex character as Dany. Now with Emilia. I'm quite impressed. With every clip I saw. Those short moments far out weighed Tamzins moments in Tudors and other clips. I also find Emilia's looks more natural beauty, fuller and healthier. And don't give me this "but Dany is skinny, lithe and petite whatever" There's a line between what looks unhealthy skinny and a healthy lithe.

I didn't think Catelyn was wrinkly already as I keep seeing in fairley nowadays*smoking contribution maybe to early aging*. You can even see that.

Are you sure you haven't been basing this on the pictures of her where she played the alcohol addled mother of George Best? She was heavily made up for much of that role to look very haggard. For some reason, most of the pictures of her online that I found seem to be the same few from that movie.

Seriously, though, you think this is an unattractive woman?

I think you may have some insecurities, as also to many people hate talking about how they pictured the character. Be honest with yourself for once.

Hmm? Lets avoid the cheap shots. :)

Ehle's attractiveness v Fairley is not particularly relevant. Catelyn was never supposed to be the most beautiful woman in the world (except for LF and he is a bit creepy when it comes to Cat).

Discussing acting ability is fine. But I trust that HBO selected somebody who can act just fine. :)

Catelyn in this show is presumably supposed to be 37-38, since Ned is supposed to be around 40 (the books are different).

I think you may have some insecurities, as also to many people hate talking about how they pictured the character. Be honest with yourself for once.

Classy. Actually, I'm not insecure about my appearance or age (mid-twenties and not a wrinkle in sight) but I thank you for your concern. :rolleyes: What do my "insecurities" have to do with Ehle or Fairley's casting again?

Ehle's attractiveness v Fairley is not particularly relevant. Catelyn was never supposed to be the most beautiful woman in the world (except for LF and he is a bit creepy when it comes to Cat).

Agree. Fairley was a bit older than I'd envisioned but appropriate next to our Ned so I got used to it after a couple days. I always envisioned Catelyn as a beauty but its simply not relevant to the character and even if it was, things change when you have to get a real person to portray her. Acting ability is a more interesting discussion to have but I liked herin the clips I saw of her and I have faith in the people who are auditioning the actors.

When I mean insecure. I mean willingness to be honest about someone's looks, attractiveness, beauty, homeliness. I've pored over images of Fairley. She just doesn't have any stand out beauty, plain. I understand Cat is not the most beautiful woman in Westeros. But her daughter Sansa is quite beautiful and If I remember right a younger version of her mother. Hence why Littlefinger pawns for Sansa.

These are of course my opinions. Yes Ran makes a point. But let me shoot this out. It's easy to vocalize when a man is attractive or plain. Sexy and handsome or your average guy, or even ugly. Just saying.

Than I tell myself. "Why should I care, Cat was one of my least enjoyable characters, and I trudged through her chapters just to see how the other characters in her POV where doing" So i'll leave opinions henceforth on Cat and who plays Cat to those who enjoyed her character.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Fairley looks like a classy lady. I think for Catelyn, while it's suggested that she was quite darn pretty, beauty should not be a, or THE, defining feature. She is first and foremost a noble lady and a mother of _five_. I think Fairley definitely has the "look" of a warm, patient mother who can conduct herself with grace. Not that anyone else couldn't do just as good, or better, as the character, but that's not reason to think Fairley won't do a fine job.

Are you sure you haven't been basing this on the pictures of her where she played the alcohol addled mother of George Best? She was heavily made up for much of that role to look very haggard. For some reason, most of the pictures of her online that I found seem to be the same few from that movie.

Seriously, though, you think this is an unattractive woman?

Fairley is very attractive, it's just that the fanboys out there wont be satisfied unless every woman on the show looks like their perfect ideal... I really don't get the issue some people have, she's pretty and more importantly she can act.

:leaving:

Archived