"Game of Thrones" preview airing before True Blood (CONFIRMED)

Brude

Yes im happy as much as anyone else. Thats a pretty cheap way of trying to undermine other people views, thoughts or arguments.

I know Sean Bean, we know what his types of roles are and what he does best.

All i see when i look at him is Jorah Mormont. Thats the role written for him.

Not Eddard Stark.

And the "Winter is coming" isnt said that way either. Thats a serious mistake not a small thing.

I do hope he surprises me and pulls it off, but i cant see it.

How could Jorah Mormont ever play Eddard Stark? Impossible.

I've most often seen you unhappy with things, sorry.

I've seen Sean Bean in most things he's done. I don't think he has "types of roles". He's very versatile. If you've not seen him as Robert Aske in Henry VIII, you should go do so. Aske was very Ned-like. But I'm betting you've not seen Sean in Lady Chatterly's Lover or Clarissa. He's played a large range of characters including McBeth on stage. He plays a doting father in Tom and Thomas. But most in America think of him as a heavy in action films or Boromir.

What was wrong with the way he delivered "Winter is Coming" in your book and how did you want it said.

And I'm fairly sure that GRRM would disagree with you that he was thinking about Sean Bean when he wrote Jorah Mormont. That's just a rather silly argument.

I have a feeling that the rest of us will be thrilled by Sean's performance as Eddard and you'll ruin your whole experience by saying, "there goes Jorah Mormont trying to play Eddard." I'll be truly sorry for you.

Edited to add: Now I've read your explanation on what you didn't like about the line. Don't agree with you. Certainly "menacing" fit the teaser well.

"Winter is coming " is supposed to be said in a manly, strong manner. A confident but calling for strength way "prepare for it is coming surely regardless of what you think and regardless of your petty squabbles" manner.

Maybe that's how you heard it in your head when you read the books, but that's not necessarily how everyone else heard it. That's how it is with these things. Nothing like that is "supposed to be" only one way or another. And expect that once you get a troupe of actors, directors and producers involved in something like this, it's not all going to be exactly how you envisioned it. That's just life. That's why there's a million and one interpretations of every Shakespeare play, and not just between different actors, but often for the same actors on different nights when the line comes out of them in a new way they never expected.

Same thing happens on a set. You do your line readings often a dozen different ways and then the director, producer, editor, etc. choose which one they like best in the editing room. That's how most highly professional actors like Bean work. They give choices to their directors who then can find which take works best. Sometimes you find something never expected that way, something that improves or finds a new angle on a line, with new meaning that maybe nobody thought of before.

An Analysis of the Phrase "Winter is Coming"

'

According to Smiling Knight: '"Winter is coming " is supposed to be said in a manly, strong manner. A confident but calling for strength way "prepare for it is coming surely regardless of what you think and regardless of your petty squabbles" manner.'

Personally, I think that WIC is delivered in my head in a number of different ways, depending on the situation. It always has been a bit menacing to me, in whatever context it's used. It's the end of summer and everything that people love and depend upon. How can it not carry menace, even said in a matter of fact manner.

Hmm, manly? How can Bean be accused of being anything other than manly? That one makes me chuckle.

So SK, who would you have cast?

And I'm fairly sure that GRRM would disagree with you that he was thinking about Sean Bean when he wrote Jorah Mormont. That's just a rather silly argument.

Funny but i dont remember saying this.

I have a feeling that the rest of us will be thrilled by Sean's performance as Eddard and you'll ruin your whole experience by saying, "there goes Jorah Mormont trying to play Eddard." I'll be truly sorry for you.

Im not expecting much from this adaptation anyway. They will probably get an actor for Jorah who would be perfect Eddard Stark the way theyre going.

I see you already concluded the series will be simply the best thing ever!

Thats what i call a fan.

According to Smiling Knight: '"Winter is coming " is supposed to be said in a manly, strong manner. A confident but calling for strength way "prepare for it is coming surely regardless of what you think and regardless of your petty squabbles" manner.'

Personally, I think that WIC is delivered in my head in a number of different ways, depending on the situation. It always has been a bit menacing to me, in whatever context it's used. It's the end of summer and everything that people love and depend upon. How can it not carry menace, even said in a matter of fact manner.

I said manly mainly to distinguish from that over the top creepy pronunciation that was in the trailer.

I meant it in a sense that it should be confident, stating of a fact, of natural cycles that come and go disregarding humans and their affairs, maybe with a slight warning tone thats saying the summer will always end and hard times will always come after nice ones.

Of course its difficult to explain it in writing but whatever.

The Northmen arent saying it because of this particular winter. There is no need to say it in tones that would frighten only little children and tack a creepy rasping laughter on top of that.

So SK, who would you have cast?

Never thought about it really, but someone a bit younger definitely. A bit, mind you - in the sense that you can still see his younger years in him, even if its a twinkle in the eye.

And don't get me wrong SK, Sean would have been fine as Jorah.

He would be perfect as Jorah because he can easily seem as a man thats capable but faulty and does have an ability to make people feel uneasy despite that he isnt "bad".

Im quite sure he can play Stark reasonably well, maybe even in a very good manner.

Maybe seeing him being gentle and caring will be a good juxtaposition to his "usual" roles too.

Same thing happens on a set. You do your line readings often a dozen different ways and then the director, producer, editor, etc. choose which one they like best in the editing room. That's how most highly professional actors like Bean work. They give choices to their directors who then can find which take works best. Sometimes you find something never expected that way, something that improves or finds a new angle on a line, with new meaning that maybe nobody thought of before.

I kinda... know this.

I was tweeting with The Rabbit about that figure behind Theon, and we came to the conclusion it was probably Ron Donachie as well. The only thing that gave me pause was the fur on his sleeve and collar, which made me wonder if it wasn't possibly supposed to be Luwin. But Donachie seems likelier, especially as he specifically stated he had a riding scene to shoot.

Funny but i dont remember saying this.

Im not expecting much from this adaptation anyway. They will probably get an actor for Jorah who would be perfect Eddard Stark the way theyre going.

Thats what i call a fan.

And it seems that you have already concluded that you aren't going to like the adaptation. That's what I call a shame.

Personally, I think they are going for a very faithful adaptation. Sean Bean was the person I had always envisioned in the role of Ned. Same goes for the folks they cast as Tyrion, Cersei, and Jamie, etc. Others I didn't know the actors, but they cast them in such a likeness for what I envisioned, I can only appreciate what a great job they've done with Jon, Sansa, Arya, and others. Some actors don't look like what I envisioned at all originally, such as Theon and Catelyn - but now that they've cast them, I can see why.

There are going to be adjustments and consolidations in the script. They are going to add things that weren't there, take out things that were. It's an adaptation, not a page by page re-enactment. But some people seem like they aren't going to be happy with any of it, so why follow the making? Just stay in the world that you've created in your mind and be happy knowing how "superior" your "adaptation" would be.

AND as for the trailer, to stay on topic, I really like it - I love seeing director's visions of material I'm very familiar with. I'm sure there's going to be a slew of them, with different tones, characters, and themes. This was an apt one for the people that like watching True Blood.

All I know is that HBO is going to earn my subscription with this one!

Iain Glen is playing Jorah. He's a fantastic actor, just not a top name like Bean to be given a lead like Eddard in a production of this scale. He probably would have been good, though. I loved his take on Hamlet, albeit abbreviated, from the film version of "Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead." I would have loved to see him do a full on version of Hamlet - I hope he got the chance on a major stage somewhere, sometime. He looks a LOT older now than he did when he was in Rosencrantz & Guildenstern, maybe even too old for Eddard. More worn and drawn from what I've seen of him lately, not quite so robust as I imagine Eddard but I think perfect for Jorah.

The only thing that gave me pause was the fur on his sleeve and collar, which made me wonder if it wasn't possibly supposed to be Luwin. But Donachie seems likelier, especially as he specifically stated he had a riding scene to shoot.

Yeah, I was trying to figure that out as well. All blurry, the way it is, my initial thought would have been that it's Luwin, but I don't see why Luwin would be out there at the execution. Roderik makes much more sense. Also, the guy looks pretty big and robust and Donald Sumpter, well, isn't...

It would be wrong to read to much into this teaser, good or bad. They didn't have much to go on when they cut it, and only were given a scant 20 seconds to show it. It is not a trailer but a teaser, and in my opinion a poor one.

Judging Sean Bean's performance of Eddard based on how he says Winter is Coming? This is the tagline, being spoken to whoever is viewing the teaser, and the teaser was cut to entice True Blood fans, so menacing is what they asked for. I doubt that this is an actual line that they took out of the film. I don't know what the laughter was either, but it was part of that. I agree that it annoyed me, but I disagree that it reflects anything.

The coloring also was a choice the editors of the teaser made. It was a way to blend various scenes together etc. I agree that it looked really cheesy. It doesn't reflect the actual product, but it is a tad worrying.

They really didn't give us much to go on as to whether they are doing a good or bad job. I was quite disappointed that they didn't show more myself, having some actual lines would be helpful. The teaser ought to entice non-fans and raise the hype for fans. The non-fans who saw the trailer had a "what was that" feeling, in a bad way. As a fan, it didn't do anything for me.

Anyway, the only things we can really tell from this are a few of the costumes and a few shots of some landscape. And with all of the color alterations, even that is problematic.

I didnt decide the adaptation will be bad already. Im just not looking at it through hyped eyes. Basically im going to wait and see if its any good.

Ian Glen? Perfect Tywin Lannister (just with a shaved head - already has whiskers) :D

Judging Sean Bean's performance of Eddard based on how he says Winter is Coming?

No, just disliking the way it was pronounced.

Thats what i call a fan.

Nothing wrong with been a fan of course. :) For many people there is little downside in this production. Very well respected TV channel making an adaptation of a loved series of books. It actually is super news for those people. The fact that GRRM is heavily involved himself only adds to the good news.

Given that "Winter is coming" will be spoken in 50 different ways in the TV series, that isn't an issue.

Saluk, I don't really understand your concerns either. As you say yourself, it is a teaser. If they showed more it wouldn't be a teaser and it is way too early to show a full trailer. I suppose it is always good when people want more. But in 20 seconds it could only take one idea and run with that. I could never see how it could be called cheesy though.

Nothing wrong with been a fan of course. :) For many people there is little downside in this production. Very well respected TV channel making an adaptation of a loved series of books. It actually is super news for those people. The fact that GRRM is heavily involved himself only adds to the good news.

Given that "Winter is coming" will be spoken in 50 different ways in the TV series, that isn't an issue.

Thanks Hypod, my feelings exactly.

No, not every detail will probably be to my liking. But I think about Rome and Carnival and other HBO productions. And I think that GRRM is involved, and seems to be very involved. When else have you seen an author involved in casting?

I have great hopes!

And I feel sorry for those in the UK. As I understand it, you guys got Rome chopped up, much as we get your excellent dramas chopped to pieces ala Spooks, which we wait for in DVD.

So interesting.. for the past several days, I've been seeing a new television ad for Allstate Insurance Co. We see some awful vehicular crash, and then in silence, huge words come up on the screen

MAYHEM IS COMING

And then the words (Allstate's motto) 'Are you in good hands?' LOL, I can easily hear Ned saying that. I wonder if the ad execs are secret fans of Ned Stark. :ninja:

I set out not expecting to be that happy with ANY of the cast, since that's what you usually get with adaptations. Been VERY positively surprised.

Arya, Sandor, Tyrion and Joffrey... Man, this is gonna be awesome.

But yeah, I'm content with the most of them, and happy as shit about the rest!

At this point, I'm probably the most annoyed with Mark Addy being way too short to play Robert...

I always saw Bean as the Blackfish or maybe even the Onion knight. But Bean as Ned was good in that promo. It makes sense for a big name like him to be Ned. I'm liking it more and more and I know I would never be disappointed with his acting. He's going to be fabulous.

Archived