Westeros Blog: New Still of Sean Bean as Ned

I'm still irked that the blade isn't dark. Its a very iportant detail, the Valyrian steel blades are more important than many characters of the story, they should have a dark blade. This will lessen the impact of when the lannister baldes are forged with their distinctive red pattern, on which Noye says he worked with spells.

I'm still irked that the blade isn't dark. Its a very iportant detail, the Valyrian steel blades are more important than many characters of the story, they should have a dark blade. This will lessen the impact of when the lannister baldes are forged with their distinctive red pattern, on which Noye says he worked with spells.

Valyrian steel is loosely based on Damascene steel, which would appear darker, but not really dark. You'd notice the kind of swirling light/dark patterns on the steel (which I do see) more than think the metal was so much darker.

To be fair, Valyrian steel is supposed to be -- through some magical process -- very dark. However, we do not have that magical process, and many treatments you could get to make the steel look darker is actually going to look pretty dull and lifeless on screen, especially in regards to the pattern-welding/damascene effect.

I'd prefer they keep the rippling to going with a gun-metal black where you would see the ripples at all.

Archived