The Game of Thrones Wiki

With the TV series picked up and filming close to starting, I decided to create a Game of Thrones, TV show-specific Wikia here. This wiki is specifically based on the TV series alone, not on the books, and works on the premise that what happens in the books will not necessarily happen in the TV show, and spoilers from the books will vigorously not be allowed. Simply regurgitating the articles from the Westeros.org book Wiki onto the TV-specific one is out, as we do not know what will be changed in the transition from book to television. I suspect policing this will be fun ("That's a fantastic 3,000-word essay on Book Winterfell you've got there, but as it turns out the HBO series depiction is completely different so it's got to go,")!

Obviously, with filming not yet started, it is hard to say what can be turned into an article and not, so for the time being I have focused on behind-the-scenes articles, such as this massive production timeline of major events in the pilot and series' production to date, which took a frankly ridiculous amount of time to create (and involved revisiting every single entry on GRRM's blog and on Winter is Coming from early 2007 until now, and I probably still missed some stuff).

This will, hopefully, turn into a useful, spoiler-free resource for people interested in the TV series.

You have spoilers in your comprehensive list of characters you might want to remove, such as what happens to Ser Loras, Ygritte amongst others, other than the spoilers, very nice work, I am impressed, especially with the production timeline.

You have spoilers in your comprehensive list of characters you might want to remove, such as what happens to Ser Loras, Ygritte amongst others, other than the spoilers, very nice work, I am impressed, especially with the production timeline.

I don't have a comprehensive list of characters so far, not on that Wiki anyway.

I might have to revisit the production timeline for spoilers, but I don't think anything at all is mentioned on there from later books.

The production timeline is awesome. Had an idea of trying to do something similar on WiC but wrote it off as too labor intensive. Nice job!

That's because it was fecking insane ;) Still, useful now it's all done and referenced.

I don't know why, but I found this line hilarious:

8 April 2010: Maisie Williams releases pictures of herself wielding a replica of Arya's sword Needle[116] [117].

Just something about it made me laugh. :3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Updated with all the latest casting news and characters. I'm adding characters only as they are confirmed to be in the series, since there's a possibility smaller ones from the series will be cut.

• 2 months later...

Further updates, although I've fallen behind on the casting news. Looking to rectify that now.

On the question of images, I am assuming that the four offical photographs (of Bean, Clarke, the parchments and the chair) released by HBO are meant for public consumption and thus can be put on the wiki under fair use? On the other hand, using screencaps from the teasers is probably something HBO would frown on at this time (although they seem to have less problems with it once the show starts airing, as some of the other wikis for their older series show), so I haven't done that.

Also need to update the production timeline with the info from the behind-the-scenes blog.

So long as you're not screencapping every frame, I think one can argue it's a fair use if you're only using a ertain part of it. Moreover, HBO's GameOfThrones official twitterer (Jim Marsh, one of their marketing guys) retweeted our gallery, so I'm taking this as provisional approval for such activities. They can, naturally, change their minds at any point ... so best avoid building whole pages and such around screencaps, I suspect.

• 4 months later...

More updates, thanks to some new contributors who have come on board. The front page now looks a lot snazzier, and the existing trailers and promo pictures have been integrated into the pages in a pretty cool manner. The last burst of news has pushed us up to 271 pages, which is impressive considering not a single episode has been shown yet.

We're still in need of a logo though. The one HBO have put on their YouTube channel looks pretty good (and presumably it's official, or at least the working official one) so I might see if we can work with that.

• 4 weeks later...

We've picked up some great new contributors for the Wiki and, even better, I got a telephone call from HBO to discuss it. They've granted the Wiki provisional permission to use images from screencaps, as long as each image is clearly labelled as being HBO copyright (i.e. we can until HBO's legal department asks us not to) and we don't go nuts with them :)

Archived