Westeros Blog: The Mountain That Rides Cast

We can exclusively confirm via a source at HBO that Conan Stevens, a 7’ tall Australian actor, wrestler, and stuntman, has been cast in the role of Ser Gregor Clegane, the huge and terrible brother of the Hound (played by Rory McCann). Stevens has sought out the role from the very earliest word of HBO developing the series, and has even interacted with fans at the A Song of Ice and Fire forum. Stevens has hinted recently that he had some exciting news to share, and we can certainly agree that this is very exciting!

Congratulations to Mr. Stevens. We’re looking forward to seeing his considerable presence on screen as the Mountain That Rides.

Visit the Site!

Conan has already joined the forum, and has posted here in the past. Maybe he'll show up again, I don't know. :) I've dropped him a note about post and our well-wishes.

I looked at his website, and he has a link to a thread on this forum that discusses who should be cast in the role to demonstrate that he's a fan favorite for the role. So he definitely knows the forum exists, and it'd be cool of course if he joined as member if he hasn't already. I really admire his "go get them" attitude, and his will to do what it takes pursue his dream of being an action star. This role will probably be a boon to him, and he definitely looks as though he'd fit the part of Gregor to a tee.

Ever since he made his presence known, I didn't think there would be another person on the planet more appropriate to play this part, especially since I believe he and Rory McCann resemble one another. Congrats to him!

They are going to have fun finding a horse that can take him. :P

:rolleyes: Hey, they found polo ponies for Wilt Chamberlin, I'm sure they'll find a horse for Stevens.

Might be a draft, although draft horses are more built for pulling than carrying weight. There are some fabulously tall (and often unsound) warmbloods (aka sport horses) being bred, so I don't think it will be a real problem. I've known several sport horses between 17 and 18 hands (5'8-6'at the shoulder), so even Conan will have to step up :lmao:

Might be a draft, although draft horses are more built for pulling than carrying weight. There are some fabulously tall (and often unsound) warmbloods (aka sport horses) being bred, so I don't think it will be a real problem. I've known several sport horses between 17 and 18 hands (5'8-6'at the shoulder), so even Conan will have to step up :lmao:

I'm sure you are right. Seeing the Mountain that Rides actually riding will be quite an image. :)

Exciting news! Stevens will be perfectly terrifying as Gregor. I can't wait to see him towering over everyone else- dressed in armor, he's going to be massive!

I'm glad he got the part. From looking at his blog, he seems like a nice guy and a great pick.

:rolleyes: Hey, they found polo ponies for Wilt Chamberlin, I'm sure they'll find a horse for Stevens.

Yeah... no draft horses for Mr. Stevens... I've seen 18 hand mules though, and that would work. Alternatively, I'd go with a smaller horse. Make Gregor look bigger.

Conan's showreel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g_S_qyz2Jc&feature=player_embedded

I kind of want to see Bangkok Adrenaline, the action film he wrote and acted in, based on the clips from it here. Not much of a Thai martial arts film fan, but from reviews and the international trailer it looks like a great deal of earnest fun.

And yeah, Conan's a massive guy.

Archived