Westeros Blog: Aidan Gillen IS Littlefinger

As Tommy Carcetti he showed that great mixture of charm and ambition that makes every real life politican sudden look like a second rate impersonation of him. It will be great to see him bring that level of believability to Littlefinger.

Somebody over on WiC said that you almost thought it was a real-life politician who was dropped into The Wire, such was his believability.

I'm psyched to see him as LF. I hope he doesn't play him as a goatee-stroking ne'er do well though. I want him to half-persuade me that LF should prevail!

I presume he'll have to adopt an English accent - can't imagine the Fingers have a different (i.e. Irish) accent to everywhere else.

He had a very believable east coast american accent (kinda Italian) in the Wire. I honestly had not a fucking clue that he wasn't an American actor. He'll do whatever accent fine, I'm sure.

Gillen shows up at the start of season 3. Not that you should need any persuading to watch The Wire. Get to it!

It's true, but I would say that Season 3 is the season one should probably not start with, since it continues with the characters introduced in S1.

Watch the whole thing, it's a masterpiece of modern TV.

The Wire is one of those shows where each season tells a different story, right? I'd like to rent it and watch our Littlefinger in action but its going to take a while to get there if I have to watch four seasons beforehand for it to make any sense...

Season 3, but you do need to watch Seasons 1 and 2 first, however watching Seasons 1 and 2 is a good thing, since it's the greatest TV show ever.

Carcettifinger. I like it.

Littleficetti?

I presume he'll have to adopt an English accent - can't imagine the Fingers have a different (i.e. Irish) accent to everywhere else.

I don't know, I could see the Fingers having a real shit-kicker, Kerry/Cork type of accent. It's such a backwater, why not?

He wasn't originally my first choice, but he came to grow on me when I reread the series. He good.

I have to say, though, that LF was probably an easy character to cast, relatively speaking. Every board member would've been pleased with James Callis, John Simm, anybody who's ever played The Doctor, a few others whose names I forget at the moment (Pretty much every actor who ever said anything sarcastic ever was brought up on the board), and, of course, Aiden Gillen.

So it's an absolutely fantastic casting, but not anywhere near as brilliant a get as Peter Dinklage.

I disagree - Tom Baker is far too much of a large ham to play Littlefinger.

So by elimination you think Sylvester McCoy would have been better? :stunned: :D

Although having said that, I think THE Colin Baker would have been a viable Varys if he was 20 years younger or so.

So by elimination you think Sylvester McCoy would have been better? :stunned: :D

Although having said that, I think THE Colin Baker would have been a viable Varys if he was 20 years younger or so.

I'd love to contribute to this debate, but I only know the last 3 doctors (4 if you include Doctor Donna).

Of those 3, Smith is too young, Tennant seems more Littlefinger-like to me and Eccleston seems more Stannis-like. I suppose Littlefinger and Eccleston could pull it off, though.

I was routing for John Simm to get a role of "Littlefinger", but there is absolutely no way that Aiden Gillen will do nothing but brilliantly with the role.

Btw. In a million years I wouldn't guess he is Irish by his performance in The Wire.

Archived