Westeros Blog: On Comic Con and Reshoots

Easily lost in the big casting news headlining the article, James Hibberd’s post at the Live Feed addressed two other points. First, although initially reporting that HBO was making an effort to put together an extended teaser or trailer for San Diego Comic Con, Hibberd now says that isn’t happening.

More notably, Hibberd addresses the extensive re-shooting that various re-castings (Michelle Fairley as Catelyn, Emilia Clarke as Daenerys, and now Will—a minor character who is featured heavily in the prologue—currently in recasting) will necessitate. According to Hibberd’s sources, the re-shooting shows HBO’s commitment to getting it right. Hibberd provides what may be an amusing example of the level of obsession HBO and the production team have over this: “When you’re creating a whole fantasy universe from a hit book series, you can end up with 20 opinions about what a chair looks like.”

Visit the Site!

Hibberd provides what may be an amusing example of the level of obsession HBO and the production team have over this: “When you’re creating a whole fantasy universe from a hit book series, you can end up with 20 opinions about what a chair looks like.”

He's obviously heard something about the design of the Iron Throne.

Bar the casting I'm most excited about how it will look as it's probably the most important prop in the entire series. Hopefully they'll go with the Ted Naismith design or something like it.

Did they really need to re-cast Will? Was he that atrocious an actor they thought he'd ruin the pilot singlehanded?

I don't think anything is concrete, but the feeling is that they want to redo the prologue to make it more awesomer, and the actor who played Will originally is not available for the reshoots.

That seems to be it, exactly. They want to reshoot because they think they can do it even better -- this may or may not be connected to the award-winning makeup artist they've signed on board, maybe he had some great idea for the Others -- and unfortunately, Bronson Webb is busy filming the latest Pirates of the Caribbean film, in which he has what I'm guessing is a comedic role as "The Cook" according to IMDB.

That seems to be it, exactly. They want to reshoot because they think they can do it even better -- this may or may not be connected to the award-winning makeup artist they've signed on board, maybe he had some great idea for the Others -- and unfortunately, Bronson Webb is busy filming the latest Pirates of the Caribbean film, in which he has what I'm guessing is a comedic role as "The Cook" according to IMDB.

Ah... that makes more sense. I hope you're right and the Others are people in make-up rather than CGI.

Archived