Westeros Blog: Highlights from the Fact Sheet

It would be easy enough to play up the idea that Vardis has let his fitness wane, and lost his edge as a fighter. How long since anyone in the Vale has seen any real combat, while Bronn is still a seasoned and accomplished sellsword etc. If they do fill the roll of The Blackfish with Vardis, they can show him huffing and winded on the climb to the Aerie, and perhaps show a fit and composed Bronn taking note of his difficulties.

Maybe. Or they may decide to make the fight a lot more dramatic by having 2 very well matched men.

Either way works fine. :)

Maybe. Or they may decide to make the fight a lot more dramatic by having 2 very well matched men.

Either way works fine. :)

I'd be fine with whatever scenario allows Bronn to win in the end. :fencing:

Though I would say that seeing his shrewd sizing up of opponents, and careful calculation of the risk/benefits is an important bit of character exposition for Bronn. That he has the foresight to take the measure of Vardis, and the judgment to apply it to his tactics in the fight says a lot about his character and motivations. We see it again with his assessment of one of the Kings Guard (Trant?) and when he decides not to fight Gregor. There would have to be a very compelling reason for Bronn to volunteer to fight someone he wasn't confident of beating handily.

Though I would say that seeing his shrewd sizing up of opponents, and careful calculation of the risk/benefits is an important bit of character exposition for Bronn.

That's a fair point. Bronn is confident of victory when he volunteers to fight Egen. So even if they change things a bit, hopefully there will still be a good reason why Bronn thinks he can win. :)

Although, I thought one of the main reasons he choose not to fight Gregor was that Tyrion couldn't offer him enough?

Although, I thought one of the main reasons he choose not to fight Gregor was that Tyrion couldn't offer him enough?

I believe he said something like, "might be I could take him", and then describes the same tactics that alomst won the fight for Oberyn. But then he implies that he's already been offered as much from Cersei as Tyrion could ever deliver. It still shows that he's given the same consideration of the risks/benefits in the situation, but this time they just didn't balance out to Tyrion's advantage.

And how could they, really. Guaranteed life and guaranteed riches from Cersei vs. possible death or comparable riches from Tyrion.

Archived