Robert Arryn being renamed.

But you do recognise that in others TV shows, people don't have the same names either? Its hardly baffling that they are following normal TV protocols? (Although, in a very small way. There is still a number of characters with similar names).

As people have said, this change is for people who aren't familiar with the books. I could have seen people been bemused by how every 2nd character seems to be called Robert or Jon. :P Just not done in TV...

I wouldn't say I'm annoyed, more like baffled.

In a show that's going to have something like 70 different characters, and without the time or ability one has with a book to go back, check previous pages or an index of names in the back, it's simply much better for the audience if you try your best to avoid confusions with names. It's different when a listener hears a name that goes by them very quickly than when a reader reads a name, plus all the attendant descriptions in a book that go with it. The needs of a script and a book are very different in this way.

I have written a few scripts myself, by now, and I avoid even giving characters names that start with the same letter, much less the same name, if I can help it.

Yet there are plenty of other characters that share names.

If I'm confused about the name of a character in a show, I check the credits at the end. Pretty simple.

Not everyone is willing to check the credits at the end. To some, it can be confusing while looking at the show... Well it's still a minor change, why all the fuss about this ? If they had changed the name of Cat, Ned or Jon Snow, I would have understand but here...

It's not a big deal at all. The name Robin actually COMES from the name Robert.

Ok. Interesting. I was wondering was there a connection. :)

In the end, TV producers have been making shows forever using different names. Presumably they know what they are doing...

While they're at it, I'd expect them to re-name Eddard's brother (the late Brandon Stark) when that comes up. They may even end up renaming Edmure Tully in case "Edmure" is deemed too close to "Eddard".

I have no problem whatsoever with re-naming characters. The "One Steve Limit" is a television and film trope for good reason-- avoiding confusion is a good thing. As I've pointed out before, it's going to be hard enough for the audience to tell characters apart, what with so many of them being "scruffy long-haired white guy in armor".

It's not a big deal at all. The name Robin actually COMES from the name Robert.

http://www.behindthe....com/name/robin

There's going to be other changes as the TV series is made, some of them much more drastic than this really minor one.

Quite. If this change annoys you, I think you're going to have some major problems with the TV adaptation. (And remember, it is an adaptation.) Yes, it's minor, but clearly it's felt to be necessary, and there will be lots of other changes that fall into the same category.

I don't mind "Robin Arryn". I even believe it fits well the impish young actor they've cast - although, of course, he'll be quite different in the series, but the picture is just precious.

BTW, after reading this thread I checked the HBO Fact Sheet, and Sean Bean is listed as Eddard "Ned" Stark. Wouldn't this be confusing as hell for the viewers? Won't they, like many readers, be tricked into thinking that Eddard Stark and Ned Stark are the same person? B)

While they're at it, I'd expect them to re-name Eddard's brother (the late Brandon Stark) when that comes up. They may even end up renaming Edmure Tully in case "Edmure" is deemed too close to "Eddard".

Maybe. But then again, we already have Jon Arryn and Jon Snow. The fact that Jon Arryn is dead (and only appearing in a flashback) probably helps. One can use that as a precedent for how they may deal with Brandon Stark (rather than Ned's son Bran). If Eddard Stark is mainly called Ned (I suspect so) then Edmure should not be confusing either.

Problems may arise when it comes to Edric Storm and Edric Dayne but then Edric Dayne is called Ned also. :P

Won't they, like many readers, be tricked into thinking that Eddard Stark and Ned Stark are the same person?

:thumbsup:

Maybe. But then again, we already have Jon Arryn and Jon Snow.

They can fall back on "Lord Arryn" to differentiate the two, as well. Jon Arryn being dead and all, viewers may not care much what his first name was. ;)

This is so little of a deal that it hardly even matters.

Though honestly, I think the name change has to do less with Robert Arryn/Robert Baratheon issues (since they are never together and it will be clear who was being talked to/about) and more to do with the fact that Robert Arryn is almost never ever ever actually referred to as Robert Arryn. He IS Robin/Sweetrobin in the books. His mother calls him that, Sansa later calls him that, Littlefinger refers to him as that for the most part, though not kindly. The dialogue will most likely remain very similar, so fans have no cause to complain except that they saw how the character was listed in the credits. I would think many more people would be upset if they referred to him ONLY as Robert Arryn, since that is a much greater departure from canon than simply crediting the character with the name he is referred to as 95% of the time.

Though honestly, I think the name change has to do less with Robert Arryn/Robert Baratheon issues (since they are never together and it will be clear who was being talked to/about) and more to do with the fact that Robert Arryn is almost never ever ever actually referred to as Robert Arryn. He IS Robin/Sweetrobin in the books. His mother calls him that, Sansa later calls him that, Littlefinger refers to him as that for the most part, though not kindly. The dialogue will most likely remain very similar, so fans have no cause to complain except that they saw how the character was listed in the credits. I would think many more people would be upset if they referred to him ONLY as Robert Arryn, since that is a much greater departure from canon than simply crediting the character with the name he is referred to as 95% of the time.

That's a nice take on the question. :)

Lysa has to think that "Robert! The Seed is Strong!" refers to Robert Arryn, rather than Robert Baratheon. But being as it's a dying man's scream, Rob-urrrgh works either way.

In Star Wars books, you have Luke Sywalker, his father Anakin Sykwalker and his son Han Skywalker, and than you have Han Solo, and his sons Luke Solo and Anakin Solo. So that's why they never made episodes 7-9.

Lysa has to think that "Robert! The Seed is Strong!" refers to Robert Arryn, rather than Robert Baratheon. But being as it's a dying man's scream, Rob-urrrgh works either way.

And if Jon Arryn always called Robin by his birthname (lets assume Robert) then that can work also.

Given they are having a Jon Arryne flashback, presumably it is to that deathbed scene. Otherwise, I would have thought they'd drop the reference altogether.

Bah. Small change.

If Jon said "Bartholomew! The seed is strong!" Lysa would still think it refers to her son. :lol:

I'm not worried about this, especially since the boy is referred to as (Sweet)Robin most of the time anyway.

If they removed "Eddard" as to not give the audience pause wondering how they got "Ned" from it, then I'd be a bit more concerned. Well, not really.

The show is not the book. Keep saying this and you'll be less disappointed. :)

Archived