Westeros Blog: Natalia Tena as Osha: Confirmed

Following up on our previous report, we’re happy to see George confirm that actress Natalia Tena has won the role of Osha. As George writes: “When I saw that she was reading for Osha, my first thought was, “She’s great, but no way, she’s too young and too hot.” Then I saw her reading, and none of the other Oshas had a chance. Her charisma grabbed me by the throat and I could not take my eyes off her. David and Dan felt the same way. We’re all thrilled to have her.”

It sounds like an auspicious start to her time in the series!

Visit the Site!

Read the quote from GRRM: Tena is "too young" (and "too hot", too). So, no, Osha's not 25. I've rather liked the idea that she's actually Tormund Giantsbane's younger sister, given her story of her brother having killed a giant.

I always thought of Osha as a rather attractive character an a fierce way, like an older Asha. The Starks' cook seems to like her well enough. I'm happy with this casting. But at the same time, disappointed with the overall trend of the beautification of Westeros that it indicates. This was a book series full of interestingly unattractive people but in the television version, there isn't a single unattractive actor getting a chance. The repulsive, twisted little monkey demon is played by a man who's above average other than having short limbs, the Hound is the heart-throb who made porridge seem sexy, the thick-waisted and jowly Lysa is played by yet another rail-thin actress, the fierce older huntress is now Nymphadora Tonks. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see Sophie Dahl play Brienne and Sarah Bolger as Asha. No wonder they hired such a fantastic makeup artist... but I'd have been happier to see less-attractive actors get a chance. It's not like the world isn't full of character actors who could have done a great job: Kathy Bates was middle-aged before she became a star because there are so few roles for people who are talented but not beautiful.

I always imagined Osha as plain or average or what have you.

I don't think this particular casting is due to some "beautification" agenda, as such. GRRM makes it plain it was because she just read the character that well that, against his own initial inclinations, he couldn't see anyone else playing her.

As to saying no unattractive actors have been given a chance ... how do you know, to be honest? We know nothing of the casting process. Pretty sure that actors of all shapes, ages, and sizes have been in ... and they've narrowed itt down to those who perform the best out of those who audition. Actors are a self-selected set, those who get a lot of work do tend to be better looking than average (or, in some cases, more unique looking than average), and those who get a lot of work tend to have a lot of experience and skill, thereby giving them the edge.

In the end, what we must hope is that the casting director and producers have chosen the very best actors for the job, and that they don't turn away someone because, "You're not pretty enough," or, you know, "You're too pretty" (except in such cases where a character's looks are definitive).

Acting first, looks second, always.

Hollywood has always had a higher standard for ugly - to them it means average on the theory that no one really wants to watch truly ugly people. Such has always been the case and such will always be. Ugly Betty is not really ugly, is she?

I have faith that the look will be right. I'm thinking of Deadwood and Calamity Jane. Robin Weigert is not stunningly beautiful, but she is a reasonably attractive woman. She portrayed a very believable Calamity Jane with the combination of a make-under, good writing and excellent acting skills. So if we get results like that, I'm gonna be happy with the HBO decisions.

They didn't beautify "Catelyn". The actress gets some stick because she is older than Ehle. So I don't think the beautification argument is as clear shut as bearisland may think. The choice for Tyrion was obvious, so that can't be used as evidence to the contrary. Given that the Hound will presumably still only have half a face, I can't see how that actor's good looks come into play.

The Osha actress is young but GRRM has made it clear how everyone was blown away by her acting. Given how we all want the best actresses, that's not good evidence

The only curious decision was the casting of Lysa. It will be interesting to see where they go with that. But one decision isn't much of a trend, especially since I can point at a counter example.

Hollywood has always had a higher standard for ugly - to them it means average on the theory that no one really wants to watch truly ugly people. Such has always been the case and such will always be. Ugly Betty is not really ugly, is she?

I have faith that the look will be right. I'm thinking of Deadwood and Calamity Jane. Robin Weigert is not stunningly beautiful, but she is a reasonably attractive woman. She portrayed a very believable Calamity Jane with the combination of a make-under, good writing and excellent acting skills. So if we get results like that, I'm gonna be happy with the HBO decisions.

And there is the make-up job done with Nanny McFee...

Can't say she looks even remotely as I imagined Osha to look like, but then we all have our own minds-eye picture of character. Pretty good casting really, she had a decent role in the HP series and an iconic and interesting character at that.

It's a bad casting- if her acting is so great give her another role, one that she fits!!!! Asha would have been perfect for her.

I'm sorry, you haven't been happy with any of the casting decisions have you?:leaving:

I'm sorry, you haven't been happy with any of the casting decisions have you?:leaving:

Not true at all, I approve of most. This is the worst one by far though. She doesn't fit the character description at all. NWC as Jaime I can deal with- not really happy about it but dealing with it. The lady that replaced Jennifer Ehle as Cat- again not happy about it but will see how it goes. The girl that is now playing Dany (preferred Tamzin all the way)- almost as bad as this casting with Osha. Those are my main casting issues but on the flipside; Bean, Dinklage, Dance, Momoa, Conan Stevens, the guy playing the Old Bear...so many great roles cast perfectly.

Archived