Guardian article

Article in today's (July 23) Grauniad -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/jul/22/game-of-thrones-most-anticipated

Haven't read it myself yet.

Edit - now read it. It's pretty standard blog filler fare, burbling on about geek enthusiasm reaching new heights. The writer can't help himself, making reference to the books being available "in the nerd section" of a bookshop.

Article in today's (July 23) Grauniad -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/jul/22/game-of-thrones-most-anticipated

Haven't read it myself yet.

Edit - now read it. It's pretty standard blog filler fare, burbling on about geek enthusiasm reaching new heights. The writer can't help himself, making reference to the books being available "in the nerd section" of a bookshop.

It's herself, actually.

Regarding the lack of opportunity to camp out in front of the TV for the premiere like it was a movie -- don't underestimate the fans! If the first episode is shown at a convention ahead of the premiere date, you can bet fans will camp out. Throwing parties at bars with big screen TVs and a HBO feed is surely possible too. And why not show the season finale on the jumbotron at a stadium? The Skydome did this for the ST:TNG finale. HBO would have to cooperate with that though...

Yep. I think it's a good article. :)

SpaceChampion,

In fact, right after I posted that, I mused about what would happen if some crazies did exactly that -- throw a Game of Thrones camp-out in their living room for a few days, get some media to report on the kookiness. ;)

Yep. I think it's a good article. :)

SpaceChampion,

In fact, right after I posted that, I mused about what would happen if some crazies did exactly that -- throw a Game of Thrones camp-out in their living room for a few days, get some media to report on the kookiness. ;)

I'm getting a very nice new video camera in the next week or two. I decided after reading your comment that my first short film is probably going to be about just that, do it documentary style or maybe as a news report about the hype.

The problem is camping out relies on local news channels picking up the story and coming to that person's house. You risk that effort going to waste. Having tried to generate interest from local news for various projects, I can say it is very very hard. Plus the point of camping out for a movie is to get good seats. Everyone can at least understand that part. Camping out in your home makes ASOIAF fans look foolish. If people think this is a show for nerds, they won't watch.

I think much more effective would be some sort of flash mob in a public square or subway station where fans are shouting House words at each other and battling with swords, and the dead knights get wightified (enwighted?), surrounding the remaining living knights and feasting on their flesh.

That's something people will record with their phones and upload to youtube, and others will try to find out what is being promoted -- knights AND zombies? on HBO? That would get some positive attention, I'd think.

I'm not sure that fans doing crazy publicity stunts is all that helpful. Where did it get the Browncoats?

ASOIAF will succeed or fail on its own merits, not on how enthusiastic its fans are. In fact, HBO has a rep for Serious Drama, so it probably doesn't want us geeks to get too looney about it, as they will be wanting to sell it to fans of Serious Drama, who would run a mile if they thought the show was only for the geeks.

Archived