Dothraki Dictionary & Dothraki.org

Lajaki

This post is meant to do two things. First, announce the opening of Dothraki.org, then to talk about the first dictionary of Dothraki.

So, first off, I've really wanted to learn Dothraki since before it was invented, and so when I finally caught wind of all of this happening, I talked to the guy who created LearnNavi.org, and we've co-founded http://www.dothraki.org as a base for fans of the language. This wasn't too hard, since Learn Na'vi has been a pretty big success as a base for the conlang from the movie Avatar, made by Paul Frommer: we've had over 10k hits a day in the first few months, international media coverage, and currently have over five thousand members on the forum (which is saying a lot, as it is essentially supposed to be just a language forum). So, hopefully dothraki.org will be able to fill a similar role with Dothraki, providing a base for people to learn and talk about the language. We don't have a forum up, and probably won't until the series actually starts, but there is currently a wiki that we hope you'll use to record everything canonical about the language, and there is a twitter feed, facebook group, and youtube videos that'll keep being updated as more information comes along. So that's pretty cool. There's a youtube video up there (by me) right now, explaining the current situation, but if you're in this forum currently, you probably won't learn anything new.

Secondly, I've gone ahead and used the format for the Na'vi dictionary (Which I wrote and have been updating for the past half a year: you can see it here if you're interested) to make the first Dothraki dictionary, which I hope to keep updated as time goes on and more words come out. It's pretty rudimentary, and perhaps a bit ridiculously small, at this stage. But I'm ok with that, because it will grow. Go and see it here:

The Dothraki Dictionary

Let me know of any errors or anything - although I don't think there are that many currently. Hope you enjoy it. :)

And that's it! :)

Lajaki

Archived