Westeros Blog: Charles Dance Cast as Tywin Lannister

The last really major casting announcement has been made, thanks to Maureen Ryan at the Chicago Tribune: British actor Charles Dance has been cast as Tywin Lannister, Lord of Casterly Rock and patriarch of the Lannister family. Though his character appears late in the series, his presence is felt throughout the series. He is a Machiavellian figure, commanding, ambitious, and powerful.

Charles Dance was a fan favorite from early on, thanks to his performance in the BBC’s Bleak House and other productions. But Westeros.org can exclusively reveal that a source close to the production told us months ago that he was already the #1 pick of the executive producers, who had had an opportunity to meet with him (or so we’re told) as he was filming Your Highness in the Paint Hall in Belfast just before Game of Thrones began production there. We’re not sure why it took quite so long for negotiations to sort out, but suffice it to say, now it’s signed, sealed, and delivered.

Below, is an interview with Dance about his role in Sky’s Going Postal, an adaption from Terry Prachett’s Discworld oeuvre.

<div class="ImageMiddle">

Visit the Site!

I am reliably informed that Dance is also a fan of the books, meaning that he's already read them and thus knows all that he needs to about Tywin's motivations and backstory :) That should add a lot to his performance.

Bizarre coincidence, though. The just-announced Julian Glover was the main villain in the Bond movie For Your Eyes Only and Dance played one of his evil henchmen. Now they'll be facing one another across the small council table (albeit not until Season 3).

This casting decision is up there with Dinklage and Bean in terms of feeling "obvious". The fact the guy has already read the books makes me feel as though the show has just nabbed its own Ian Mckellan. A shame we have to wait until the end of the season to see him in action. I've always liked Tywin and I think Dance will make us empathise with him, even though he can be an utter git.

This kind of casting gives me hope that Peter O'toole as Walder Frey and some others are not just pipe dreams.

Great news.

There was a moment when he was playing Lord Vetinari in Sky's production of "Going Postal" when you could see that the idea of a smile occured to Charles Dance and he let a hint of that idea of a smile play at the corner of his lips for a couple of seconds before he decided no, no he didn't much care for the idea of a smile afterall. It was a perfect Lord Tywin moment.

I think that was one of the things that bothered me about Going Postal, the whole time I was thinking "that's not Vetinari, that's Tywin Lannister". He had the exact same long ginger sideburns as depicted in the artwork and everything!

Perfect casting choice once again.

I'm speechless! A Lannister born! And I hope they keep his natural hair, he has aged very well and his receding hairline has the Tywin look without the need to shave him further.

This is fabulous! I've really liked him since I first saw him way way back in White Mischief. Hard to believe he's now getting the grandfather roles.

LOL, same for me, I thought I was the only one who remembered that movie!

I am reliably informed that Dance is also a fan of the books, meaning that he's already read them and thus knows all that he needs to about Tywin's motivations and backstory :) That should add a lot to his performance.

If this is true and not just publicity, YAY! He is officially the greatest man on the planet.

This kind of casting gives me hope that Peter O'toole as Walder Frey and some others are not just pipe dreams.

OH YEAH.

Archived