Mafia Game 73 (Mk. II)

House Targaryen

Hello all.

This is the sign up thread for Game 73 (Mk. II). Game 73 (Mk. I) was to be modded by Piper, but this will be modded by Mentat (and that, as you should know, makes all the difference).

I'm aiming for around 12 players, I'm specially hoping that the people who said they could play on the Mafia board will play, but obviously anyone can, so if you'd like to just drop me a PM.

It will be an alted game. The setting will be Westerosian, possibly Dornish. Balance may go from something very vanilla to an all-roled game similar to game 51. I haven't yet decided.

It will be a fast game, but we'll have automatic extensions for all over weekends so you can go and get a tan, go for a swim, etc.

If you haven't played mafia before and you'd like to you need to get an account on Sophelia's mafia board as detailed below. We'd love to meet you and lynch you on day one.

We have 12 players already, so we will start late this evening (euro time).

Rules are the standard for an alted mafia game with the following provisions:

Days will be up to 36 hours and nights up to 8. Modkill limit is 24 hours, but nobody will be modkilled during weekends and players who don't post during the first 24 hours of the game will only be modkilled if they fail to post before the day is over (and may be replaced by the mods).

We will be using a special rule regarding going to night: If the 36 hours end and there's no majority decision then the player with the more votes gets lynched, even if there's not an absolute majority. If two or more players have the same number of votes then we'll have a tie break until another player votes or someone changes his vote. During the tie break you may only vote for or change your vote to one of the players who was tied for top lynch option.

There are two factions in the game: FM and Knights. Knights win the game when all the FM are dead. FM win the game if they are 50% or more of the active players. The FM faction can eliminate one active player during every night phase.

There will be a coroner finder.

The following special roles may be used:

Healer: You may protect one player every night, who will not die that night if targeted by the FM or a Vigilante (or both).

Vigilante: You may eliminate one active player during a night phase. Once you decide to use your power you may not use it again on a different night, regardless of if it worked or not.

Soldier: If at any point in the game you are one of the only two players alive, you win the game for your faction.

Bulletproof: You will not die the first time you're targeted at night by the FM or a Vigilante (or both). After one use your power is expended.

Guard: You may target a player, preventing him from using a night action. If you target a FM he will only be prevented from eliminating an active player if he's the last member of his faction.

Friend: You may communicate with another player (your friend) offthread.

Symp: Though not a FM yourself, you favor them and will win the game if they do. You will know who your masters are.

Special roles may be given to players from both factions. Players may have more than one role.

Any doubts with the rules, PM me. If you need an extension, PM me too.

Currently Pebbles and Mentat will be modding, but if someone on the American timezone offered to give us a hand it would be much appreciated. If you need spoilering, PM either of us.

As said, modkill limits and daytime limits will be extended over weekends.

Setting post coming up.

“Damn the infernal sun, the blasted sand and the seven forsaken heat of this place!” he shouts, throwing his gold-and-black dragon shaped helm on the marble floor. The helm clatters and rolls in a half circle, before ending up resting against one of the satin curtains of the balcony. The face underneath it is young, and boyish. His eyes are purple and bright, and his hair is golden. A thin film of sweat covers his pale Targaryen skin.

The young dragon snaps his fingers and a servant hastens to fill his cup with water, which he gulps down in a second.

Exhausted by the heat and many days of riding you sullenly look around you: the palace of Sunspear, hastily abandoned by the princes of Dorne after their defeat, is being thoroughly upturned by a host of serfs and men at arms. It now looks a proper mess, rather than the grandiose abode it must have been barely a week ago.

For years you have accompanied the King as counselors, friends or white cloaks of his Kingsguard. Though so young he’s barely yet a man, his temerity and boldness have placed his life in danger many times, yet you have never felt such apprehension as you feel now, in this foreign land. Danger seems to lurk beneath its sands, bidding its moment.

“They can’t have taken it all…” ponders Daeron “We’ve been riding like we had an angry dragon at our back. The news of their defeat only came in two days ago. I would have captured the princes themselves if they hadn’t jumped on their fastest horses and rode for their lives. The treasury must be mostly intact. I refuse to believe otherwise!”

It seems like everything has been bad news after your victory over the Dornish riders. The summer has come in early, and the red mountains of Dorne shimmer under the basking sun. Your water supplies have been running very short, and skirmishers seem intent in poisoning every well they leave in their wake, as they retreat further into the desert, pestering your army like a swarm of mosquitoes which deftly elude your every swat. Though you defeated them in battle, the Princes of Dorne have escaped, and no doubt are plotting some treachery or other as you speak. Victory never tasted so much like ash.

A tall man robed in grey hastily climbs the stairs and the sound of his stirrups scratching the marble gives you the shivers. It is Ser Deremond Lothston, justice of the King and his chief interrogator. His office is one of necessity, yet the pleasure he seems to drive from it is truly unnerving. Ominous rumors of witchcraft and other dark practices have always surrounded House Lothston, and rather than take offense they seem to relish the aura of menace they provide.

“I found the vault, your highness” says the knight “It’s mostly empty. They must have moved the treasure elsewhere. We have captured some of the palace servants, and I intend to torture them until we find out where they’ve hid it”.

Daeron leans on one of the stone railings and nods somberly before dismissing you all with a wave of his hand. The gold in his armor and his hair seem sun-bleached and lackluster.

The next day one of your numbers appears dead in his room, his throat cut from side to side, gaping like a macabre half smile. A Dornishman must have scaled the walls and entered through the arched window of the room, you think, yet no rope nor grappling hook marks are found. Groups of soldiers are sent into the city and some random people are put to death for the knight’s murder. Discontent grows.

The following day the ministrations of the torturer produce results, yet once again, not the ones you hope for. The wretch who has agreed to talk is in a very sorry state. Sir Desmond seems to have been giving this one a special treatment.

“The treasure you looked for is no longer here” he mutters, his mouth a mess of bleeding gums and half broken teeth “it was loaded on a ship and sent east the day your armies set their foot on Dorne”.

“Whereabouts?” demands Ser Deremond “Where was it hidden?”

The dying man laughs briefly, before lurching in a spasm of pain and coughing violently, spitting an unwholesome mélange of sputum and blood. Ser Deremond signals a man to bring him water, which seems to give him some relief.

“The treasure was not hidden” says the man “it was spent”

“The whole treasury of Dorne spent? Spent on what?”

“On death!” cries the man “On all your deaths! On the knives of the Faceless Men of Braavos!”

The prisoner spits at the king and you all freeze as the reddish goo hits his cheek and slowly slithers downwards. Time seems to freeze as Daeron wipes the muck from his face. Draws his blade, the famed sword Blackfyre, and runs the man through. Impavid, he wipes the bloody blade with his cloak and returns it to its sheath.

“I fear no faceless murderers,” he says “they may not have a face, but if they have blood which can be spilt then spilt it shall be!” He turns to you “I leave my safety in your hands, Sers, may you not disappoint me”.

During the night your restless sleep is interrupted by screams. You chase the dying sound, only to find the loyal Ser Plessiez of Pi horribly disemboweled. The weapon still lies on the floor upon a puddle of gore: a straight Westerosi dagger, the like of which could be found in any of your belts. Sir Plessiez’s room had a barred window, and his door was kept locked, yet it doesn’t seem like the assassin forced his entry. Sir Plessiez must have unwittingly opened the door to someone he thought could be trusted, you conclude.

You consult the King’s old maester and tutor on the subject of Faceless Men. He informs you that these fabled Braavosi assassins can change their appearance to supplant their victim’s trusted ones, that they’re fabulously expensive and entirely ruthless once they’ve accepted a contract. They must have replaced one or more of you at some point during the campaign, yet none of you has been able to distinguish them. Dozens of accusations are tossed back and forth, but the only thing that seems to be clear here is that the King is in grave danger, and you have little time to act.

You decide to submit yourselves to the ancient ritual of trial by mafia to discover which amongst the King’s most trusted knights is an assassin. You will meet in a locked room, where each day you will choose one of you to surrender to Ser Deremond for interrogation. You are determined not to leave until all the assassins have been unmasked and unmade.

What, Targaryen found 12 knights here in the desert that quickly? We all know that in times like these recruitments take months to accomplish! So what kind of game is Targaryen playing with us? Obviously there are no 12 knights here. My guess is that we all got drugged and that 6 of you are only illusions. Since I'm not an illusion and I'm in the second half of the player list, the upper half is only fake, not real, ghosts, dreams etc.

Sorry Inchfield, but you're just a voice in my head. Why should I bother to spend my time talking with you?

Inchfield for stating the obvious.

Since I'm not an illusion and I'm in the second half of the player list, the upper half is only fake, not real, ghosts, dreams etc.

Sweet, just made the cut-off for corporeality!

*tumbleweed drifts by*

It looks like Targ didn't have the budget to animate all those illusions.

Inchfield for stating the obvious.

Sweet, just made the cut-off for corporeality!

*tumbleweed drifts by*

It looks like Targ didn't have the budget to animate all those illusions.

Hey, he was mad enough to attack this desert here. If he had only listened to me, we would have conquered the land beyond the wall. Imagine all these wilding girls, the untouched nature, the view that you get from the top of the wall.... :drunk:

I also heard that Lothston is not low-budget. It is known that most fantasty empires collapse eventually because of the exploding costs of inquisition!

It is day 1.

12 players remain: Clegane, Connington, Dayne, Inchfield, Karstark, Kettleblack, Lannister, Mallister, Redfort, Royce, Tollett, Vance.

7 votes are needed for a conviction or 6 to go to night.

1 vote for Inchfield ( Lannister)

1 vote for Redfort ( Clegane)

10 players have not voted: Connington, Dayne, Inchfield, Karstark, Kettleblack, Mallister, Redfort, Royce, Tollett, Vance.

Archived