MLB 2010, part 3

naz

Replay will slow down the game of baseball.

Except for tonight where Vlad was clearly out and an incorrect call is leading to a game that is now entering the 11th inning. Fucking tradition getting in the way of a good game.

eta

nevermind, Lowell was pulled wayy off the bag on the last replay I saw. Still. Replay would make the game better as long as balls and strikes aren't reviewed.

So while I have zero interest in the Reds in general, I gotta say the Great American Ballpark is a great space for a game. Fantastic park. Even if the Reds play there.

Oh, and Saturday's game was Johnny Gomes Garden Gnome give away day... :P

So while I have zero interest in the Reds in general, I gotta say the Great American Ballpark is a great space for a game. Fantastic park. Even if the Reds play there.

Oh, and Saturday's game was Johnny Gomes Garden Gnome give away day... :P

I salute the warped minds that come up with such twisted promotions. :thumbsup:

I salute the warped minds that come up with such twisted promotions. :thumbsup:

It wasn't just the gnome though! They played multiple times, during the game on the video board, Gomes encouraging Reds fans to take the gnome here there and everywhere and take pictures and submit them. The best one would win a Reds prize pack of some sort.

I was going to take it to Wrigley yesterday to get a picture of it laughing, but I forgot it... :P

So ESPN is reporting that Roger Clemons has been indicted for lieing to Congress in 2008... Apparently, they frown on that sort of thing.

Nothing good is going to come of this. I almost feel sorry for Roger, he tried to go out like every real man: When caught in a lie, don't fess up. Stick to your guns! It has now officially backfired in the worst possible way.

And you were worried about the Twinkies?

Yes, and I still am. We've not had a lot of success in the post-season. We under-perform against high-quality teams, the Yankees in particular. Statistically, we should be able to play with any team in the league, but look at our division round series from the last few years. Minnesota doesn't come out so well.

I'm still pulling for them and I still believe they can make a deep run. We can take down any team in the majors if we keep our shit together.

Jaime Garcia pitched a complete game 3 hitter. This guy has pitched all year and his ERA is around 2.50. I can't imagine where St. Louis would be without him.

I will miss sweet Lou. He is an incredibly entertaining character.

Where would you be? First or second place still. Please. The Cardinals are in the NL Central and have Tony and Dave. Garcia or no Garcia, the Cardinals were going to compete this year.

I don't think so. If we didn't have him we'd be rolling out a pitcher that was almost certain to lose in all of those starts. When Carpenter, Wainwright, and Garcia start the game we win about 2 of 3. When they don't, we lose about 2 of 3. We're 3.5 back of the Reds right now. If we had been starting Hawksworth or some other nobody in all of Garcia's appearances, I would bet we'd be 8 back or so with little hope of the post season.

Excepting that the playoffs would be a real long shot at 8 games back, my point stands that you'd still at least be in second place this year... :P

Can anyone explain to me why the loss column is more statistically meaningful than the win column?

If you're behind someone in the win column, it doesn't consider that maybe they have played more games than you and that's part of why you're behind. However, if you're back in the loss column, it takes into consideration that if you've played more games than them, and lost more games than them, then you're farther back - because when they catch up in number of games played, they might win those games.

Yes, yes, I get all of that, But can anyone explain to me why there is a mathematical difference between the win column and the loss column?

To your point (and Mack, I love you, please don't take this personally), I have absolutely no idea what you're saying. It sounds to me like you are ultimately saying something along the lines of "the win column and the loss column are ultimately equal, but a narrative has emerged that suggests that one is somehow more important so I've embraced that narrative in order to sound informed."

Essentially, it's about who controls your fate. So, it doesn't really matter at all right now; but in close races near the end of the season, trailing in the win column frequently means you can win out and make up ground while trailing in the loss column means you need help; there is no way to equalize if you're trailing in the loss column except to have the other team lose enough games to catch you up.

It's primarily psychological, but it matters somewhat in close races with few games left (or if one team has a significant games-in-hand advantage).

Yeah. If the Yankees are 82-70 and the Red Sox are 80-70 then the Red Sox can catch up to the Yankees just by winning enough games, however if the Yankees are 80-68 and the Red Sox are 80-70 then the Red Sox also need the Yankees to lose some games. In the first case if both teams went on a rampage and won every game left they'd be tied at the end of the season and need a play-in game, in the second case if that happened the Yankees would just win the division outright. So big difference, even though in both cases the standings just say the the Yankees have a 2 game lead.

Apparently not...

Hey, you still got whassisname? The 17 year old catcher who's going to go to the outfield instead...

Bryce Harper?

I mean that's a few years down the line at best. Even as we're not going to contend anytime soon at least could enjoy watching Strasburg's development/dominance to tide us over until the young guys came up.

*sigh*

Archived